just seen on telly the bloke with the wine,sorry and all that he knew the score,if you cant do the time don,t do the crime

• Upvote 2

He should have known better at his age......but if we Brits have to pay heavily for our crimes abroad, then foreigners who come here should abide by our laws and do as we do, especially with their dress and culture....when in Rome..... ...all those lashes for a man of his age are a bit harsh/barbaric though, just shows how backward these Countries are.......

• Upvote 3

I was once involved with teaching Arabs in this country and I agree with Blondie in that our own laws should be strictly adhered to as we are expected to adhere to those overseas. It is also apparent that overseas visitors do not respect their own laws set by their own religion whilst visiting us.

• Upvote 2

especially with their dress and culture....when in Rome

I have no objection to their dress provided their women show their faces....as for culture (prayers,fastings etc) that surely is their business if it doesn't infringe on our hard won freedoms....especially with their treatment of women.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

#2 Blondie

How do you enshrine this thing about a conformity of dress as a qualifier for living here?

As a UK citizen I have a freedom to wear what I like and that is the same for any other resident no matter where that person may have come from.

The problem the the "When in Rome" argument is that we Brits do not live up to it. We ruled India for several centuries but of course we avoided adopting the local dress code. If local dress is the standard expected off incomers then expat Brits are still failing that test in countries across the globe.