Level Crossings Midland Line to Mansfield

I've been a bit quiet just lately but back on the railway theme again!

Am after info on the above subject or rather where there were level crossings now replaced by bridges or simply down away with, ones I know of are Church St Lenton, Gauntly St Radford, Bobbers Mill Radford Nottingham Rd Basford Lincoln St Basford Station St Bulwell, the still there one on St Albans Rd? Bulwell, but there must have been others? doubt anyone will remember such in use! but am sort of trying to find the diversions etc in roads where bridges replaced crossings, Abbey Bridge springs to mind, plus others done away with when area's were redeveloped

Hucknall station had a level crossing replaced by a bridge

Edit

One or two bridges north of Kirkby may originally have been level crossings in Mansfield & Pinxton days, like Sheepbridge Lane, Mansfield, but it would be a challenge to find out for sure

Remember the crossing on Meadow Lane. once sat there in Dads Standard Vanguard mk1 waiting for trains to pass, shut engine off but left sidelights on. Of course when crossing opened it wouldn't start, had to push the flipping heavy thing across the crossing, phew..

Beeston also had a cement depot, Beeston Boiler sidings, Shippos maltings sidings, Boots factory entrance,creosote works and a sleeper depot........ In the good old days.

Can remember the Beeston Bridge being built mid to late 1960's? It would be interesting to see the route Radford road and Nottingham Rd orginally took when the railway arrived as there was no bridge at Church St for 28 years (1848-1876) I would also imagine the last section of Vernon Rd from Nottingham Rd to it's original junction to Church St (still to be seen, the former site of Smithy's Car Breakers right next to the bridge) was completed

There were level crossing gates at Beeston until 1969 when the bridge was opened.

In the middle 1960s when the gates were shut for the trains to go by at 7 20, loads of pushbikes were waiting for them to open so they could get to work at Ericsons 10.000 people worked there then.

I have most of the midland route to just north of Bulwell station(2 small sections missing) in large scale maps.(1881/2)

Lenton north/South & Mansfield junctions take 5 maps alone

The locomotive sheds(then only 2 round houses take 2 maps)

All point work signal boxes & even signal posts are shown.

It would be interesting to see the route Radford road and Nottingham Rd orginally took when the railway arrived as there was no bridge at Church St for 28 years (1848-1876)

Not too detailed, but this is Basford just before the railways appeared. I reckon the roads are recognisable by their shape etc.

basford_8.jpg.

(I think!) no vernon rd of course but the little bridge that crossed the leen (church st?) is there, guess at sometime all traffic and walkers diverted to nottingham rd level crossing? so at one time anyone wanting to go to bulwell would have to cross the railway twice then go via bulwell lane to catchems (station hotel)

The old timber level crossings were great fun. You'd look up to the adjacent signal box and see the signalman start to turn that great big wheel to close the gates, very reminiscent of a ships tiller. They'd be lot's of clunking and thumping as they came together and locked into place, the gates would all shake and tremble as they settled down, the bigger they were, the noisier and rattlier they became. Then I would get off my bike and hang off them, waiting to see whether a double peg would appear and from which direction the train would come.

If it was a decent Saturday afternoon, my dad, brother and I would cram on to our tandem ( me on a crossbar seat ) and cycle off to Breadsall Level Crossing just North of Derby and watch the trains go by heading up to Sheffield. That was on the old A38, not as busy then, and now by-past, but we used to hang on the sound of every tinkling bell in the signal box and look forward to what we might see. That place is now obliterated, happy days, I love the fact that I have the memories, Jubes, Scots, the Devonian with it's chocolate and cream coaches, clunking 4F's with random freights, all consigned to history, but at least I was able to watch it go by.

• Upvote 1

I think Bobbers Mill bridge was built in the 50's. The original bit of Alfreton Rd is still intact.

A senior moment Cliff, I don't know why I thought of that except when I lived nearby in the mid 50's, the bridge still looked brand new.

Sorry confused to locale,is that Scotland rd.to the rear?

The houses going off at an angle are Fox Grove; Scotland Road is two further along.

#22 Is that the location of Basford tram stop?

Yes. So there's no trace of the level crossing. As this demonstrates https://goo.gl/maps/UGrGtkve6tq