Public parks are an important resource for communities and visitors. It is many years since I visited the Arboretum and I am sorry to hear that it is not being well maintained. The posts here about keeping calm are spot on. Parks are places for relaxation and enjoyment to reduce stress levels and a good place for workers to take a lunch break. There are many people who do not have gardens and need these open spaces in cities. I recall young work colleagues talking about going home to their flats in the heat of the summer and they had nowhere to sit out. Investment in parks is money spent on community well being. As a child living in Bilborough I remember the local park even had a park keeper. My parents never worried when I went there with friends at a young age.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posts about The Arboretum, I was looking through some old books yesterday and found this:- FLOREAT ARBORETUM Floreat Arboretum! Et Jessicus Booticus Playing fields of Long Eaton And Spartan Barto

I hope it rains all day.

I'm new to the forums, gone a bit mad posting tonight as you will all see!! However, I thought it may be the place to "vent" my anger about what is happening to the beautiful Arboretum. I am there mo

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder if there has been any floral advancements on the Arbo since my last gleg?

Some smashing pictures of a meet up on here!..had to look,forgot what a blue sky looks like!

I really miss Robbie..he had some really great photographs of this place and around town.

How could they even think about losing such a beautiful part of Nottingham. You have to remember that the Nottingham City Council didn't think twice about destroying other places of beauty in Nottingham. Below is some photos of the Arboretum from the Internet.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nottingham+arboretum&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU7fDNjuvKAhVmKXIKHcskAf0Q7AkINQ&biw=1280&bih=611

• 5 months later...

You are correct all due to council cutbacks, but the council always find funds for fringe groups & organisations to waste money on like funding the nottingham pride carnival this year.

Well they've been kicked out of the Arboretum ..... I'm sure a few of you will be donning big pink furry knee length boots & leather cod piece for tomorrows Nottingham Pride celebrations ... Have fun!

Final-Logo-300x119.jpg

Flyer-2-WEB-1.jpgCoEDqX4WAAAXq-.jpg-large.jpeg

I hope it rains all day.

Don't be like that caftan..............knee length pink furry boots will go down a bundle in Bulwell.......and they'll never see ya 'Cod piece'............lol.

• Upvote 1

Cooooooeeeeeee...............................anybody up for the "Mince Around The Town Day" ???????????????????

• Upvote 1

Now Now people, we had this row on St.Georges Day...according to one person on here... it's volunteers and fund raising that pays for this march...don't like to many pansies in town...prefer a mixed blend of fauna & flora!

Some of my in-laws are up for the week-end and they spent the day in Town...........they were bowled over with the atmosphere Gay-pride and all,they all love Nottingham........totally different for them................

Once we reached the fourth form at the Manning school we were allowed to go out at lunchtime and like the Brincliffe girls, one of the places we headed for was the arboretum. We'd have a wander around the Bell Gardens and sometimes look at the few birds that remained in cages, although I never liked that because I hate to see any creature caged up.

My most vivid memory of a visit to the arboretum would have been in the very early 1960s because we often went with my parents for a walk on a Sunday and the Arboretum was one of the places we'd go to. This particular Sunday, my father was wearing a brand new Harris Tweed sports jacket and slacks and looking very smart. Off we went. It was a beautiful Sunday, bright sunshine, warm, a perfect day for a walk. The problems started on the way home as the heavens opened and a terrific thunderstorm got underway. There was nowhere to shelter and I remember that we were walking down Mount Hooton Road, probably looking like a bunch of drowned rats, when a door opened in one of the houses and a kindly old lady came out and invited us inside.

She and her equally elderly sister had spotted us walking down the road with rain dripping off the ends of our noses and asked us in for tea and cakes. Although I was a very tiny girl at the time, I recall there was a blazing fire and she dried all our outer clothes in front of it while we sat there enjoying tea and cakes until the storm blew over and the rain stopped.

Unfortunately, my father's Harris Tweed Jacket was ruined. It was never the same again.

Such kind people and it made me think that if you were to walk down the same road today and the door opened, it probably wouldn't be two kindly old ladies who were inviting you inside!! How times and areas change!

• Upvote 5

No Jill, it would probably now be two burglars scarpering after beating up two old ladies and stealing their savings and life's little treasures.

• Upvote 2

#67.

Ayup Jill, can you remember what number it was ? Next time me & Mrs Catfan are down that way I could knock on the door & say Jill has sent us for afternoon tea & cakes ! hellothere

• Upvote 1

We have a lovely arboretum in Braintree, the warden lives in a Victorian house on site and many volunteers wade in to help. There is a cafe etc, etc, even a kingfisher lurking round the pond. What has happened to all the birds in the managerie up there, haven't been for years.

• 1 year later...