I'm new to the forums, gone a bit mad posting tonight as you will all see!!

However, I thought it may be the place to "vent" my anger about what is happening to the beautiful Arboretum. I am there most days with my dog and in the past few years it has just gone downhill so much (well, it's uphill in places too, I know! LOL), the things you see make you want to cry. The flower displays are gradually disappearing, last year the flower garden next to the Bell Garden beds were filled in, and this year there was no flower display at the entrance on Waverley Street. This is obviously due to cuts in the Council's budget, both of gardeners and materials, and I'm not going to have a go at them, as heaven knows you can't make a case over the money going to social work or whatever. Whatgets me is that the poor gardeners are rubbish collectors now, and it breaks my heart on hot summer days to see the quantity of mess left for them to clear up - not their job! Don't get me started on all the Barbeques burning the grass! What is needed is a police presence - again, budget cuts. I spoke to a policeman the one time I saw one this summer, we were both looking at a load of pot-smoking youths sitting under the Chinese Bell, he said "the railings should go up again but the Council won't do it" his words, not mine! I can't see why the community police can't wander through regularly, but then they don't have enough power to stop anything.

Overnight campers, no toilets so people ****** in the bushes, trees destroyed by dogs... you name it, this is our only city park and it's not going to be a beautiful haven much longer...

OK that's my rant over! Any ideas anyone??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posts about The Arboretum, I was looking through some old books yesterday and found this:- FLOREAT ARBORETUM Floreat Arboretum! Et Jessicus Booticus Playing fields of Long Eaton And Spartan Barto

I hope it rains all day.

I'm new to the forums, gone a bit mad posting tonight as you will all see!! However, I thought it may be the place to "vent" my anger about what is happening to the beautiful Arboretum. I am there mo

Great handle missing Motown,I don't mind your rant and vent..just be careful about a bloke who had bushy eyebrows!! Yes the Arbo has slipped somewhat, last year as per my Mums last wish I went to scope out a place to lay her ashes. On this particular Saturday a crowd of punks and emo's were even skateboarding on the cannon monument! I found a suitable spot near the bandstand, and returned on the Sunday.Not so long ago a member on here posted a picture of a circular flower bed in full bloom.not now though!! And you can't blame just the visitors of today- in the 60' s it was a regular haunt for flashers, wino's and oddballs. Perhaps when the tram fiasco is eventually over there will a few Bob left in the kitty for a drinking tap!!

Good post MissingMotown. You are correct all due to council cutbacks, but the council always find funds for fringe groups & organisations to waste money on like funding the nottingham pride carnival this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Never could understand why Nottingham pride carnival should happen in the first place,waste of money, can't say owt though in case you get called homophobic,bloody load of crap

Rog

• Upvote 4

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Pride is in any way funded by the council. It's organised by a voluntary committee and funded by sponsors and fund raising activities.It had been running at a loss until Eon wrote off an amount of debt. Things like Caribbean Carnival, Pride and St Patrick's Day Parade are all in the same boat. Not only has council financial support been cut or removed completely, but the costs imposed by the council are horrendous. For example, if the St Patrick's Day parade ( organised completely by volunteers) were to go ahead next year, it would cost nearly £9,000 for signage to be put up and taken down, compulsory stewards and first aid and road closure costs. That's just so that the walk could take place from the Forest to the Market Place. The only contribution the council make is that they provide the stage and sound equipment. The other £20,000 worth of fund raising is done by the committee.

And plantfit, the reason it happens is because a group of people get together, raise money and organise it. There's nothing to stop any group of people organising an event if they can raise the money, arrange it satisfactorily as far as the council is concerned and get enough interest. Nither Pride, the Caribbean Carnival or the St Patrick's parade are council initiatives, they are all created and organised by members of the public.

It's important that people realise this. Many assume wrongly that these events just happen and are organised and paid for by the council, when they are all desparately short of volunteers and funds. The increase in takings around Market Sq ( pubs particulrly) on St Patrick's should ensure that funds are easily raised but it's not the case.

• Upvote 1

I never knew EON bailed the gay pride out by righting off a £5000 debt, I think I'll switch now to British Gas.

Anyhow whether it be Gays, Afro Caribbean, Irish or anyone else, if they organise a day out then let them pay for it themselves.

If Chulla reads this lot he'll be going to the city council for funding for the next Nottstalgia meetup ! hellothere

• Like 1

I don't know about Caribbean Carnival but neither Pride nor St Patrick's require police presence to any significant degree. The organisers are required to pay Showsec for private security staff. Why are you still going on as if 'everyone else' foots the bill. as I've pointed out, it's not the case. If a group of people want to raise money and organise an event that ( in the case of Pride and St Patrick's) is free to anyone wanting to join in, why is that a problem? The reason football is required to pay for policing is because there is a requirement for crowd control and football is a 'for profit' entertainment. Community events are different in that they are 'not for profit' and don't require police stewarding of crowds. Any police presence is at the discretion of the local Inspector and is not a requirement for the event to take place. Football matches have a legal requirement to comply with their safety licensing. The local fete may well have a community policeman wandering around but it's not a requirement and therefore isn't charged to the event.

Why is it DJB you always appear when any comments remotely passing any comment regarding homosexuality ? As I have previously stated I am not homophobic, but if anyone dares to comment you jump straight in & start "Nit Picking" these comments that you don't agree with.

Live & let live DJB, each to their own.

Talking of the Arboretum, getting back to the original post, ask yourself, why are the public toilets closed on the Arboretum ? As MissingMotown pointed out in his post.

Tell me if you need a clue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My comments were nothing to do with homosexuality. Why that's what you consider the important bit I don't know. i was correcting the misapprehension that the council paid for Pride, and indeed other community events and (in case you didn't notice) said far more in specifics about St Patrick's than Pride. You do have a chip on your shoulder don't you. Why you feel the need to state that you're not homophobic when no-one has said anything on this thread about homophobia I don't know. Please do try and read what's written, not what you imagine is written.

• Upvote 1

My uncle used to take lovely photos of the flowers on the arboretum(many years ago) then the crafty so and so ,would stand around the arboretum and sell them to visitors,they were good photos though.

It seems the Arboretum is suffering the same fate as other public parks, the Memorial Gardens on the Embankment, Highfields Park are two places I've been recently and look very unloved.

In contrast, on a visit to Matlock a couple of months ago, I saw a large team of gardeners re-planting up the park by the bridge. The difference, I suppose, is Matlock Council realises the importance of tourist attraction, whereas Nottingham Council only has to consider amenity for it's residents and so doesn't bother.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have fond memories of the arboretum but the last time I was there must be nigh on 60 years ago. Relating it to what is happening round here, are the powers that be looking for somewhere to build more houses? Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I too have fond memories of the arboretum. My dad used to take my brother and I at Easter time to roll our hard boiled eggs down the hill. Last time I went was with visitors and we saw a little squirrel with a marathon paper. Wrapper in his paws. Wasn't quick enough to take a photo though. Lovely photos caftan. Can I say hello to a friend who is on photo? Hello "L "did you make your pear jam?

• Upvote 1

It's sad I admit, but when they can't find the money for old folks homes what do you expect.

As to # 14 Matlock is coming to that time of year when they do their Blackpool thing with the illuminations etc, the local traders fund a lot of the prep as they all make a good few bob before the winter.

The last couple of years it seems to have become quite popular to fill our Islands and roadsides and some areas in the parks in (W-ton) with wild flower seeds. I imagine it is a lot cheaper and easier to maintain than arranged flowers, where if one plant dies the whole display is spoiled.

This year, I have noticed that they have looked exceptionally colorful and have lasted quite well, just about coming to an end. Ready for the winter displays.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear, I was all thrilled to see 21 replies to my Arboretum post- yes! someone cares, I thought! And what is it? One post and all the rest hijacking it to have a go at Gay Pride!!! Get your own discussion!

Just goes to show that no-one does care about that beautiful park, don't compare it even to the Embankment - there is nowhere else of that quality & content and no-one is helping the poor gardeners one bit. Shocking!!

Only reply if you have a plan of action please! (And not on gay issues! ha ha)