• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posts about The Arboretum, I was looking through some old books yesterday and found this:- FLOREAT ARBORETUM Floreat Arboretum! Et Jessicus Booticus Playing fields of Long Eaton And Spartan Barto

I hope it rains all day.

I'm new to the forums, gone a bit mad posting tonight as you will all see!! However, I thought it may be the place to "vent" my anger about what is happening to the beautiful Arboretum. I am there mo

MissingMotown, I can understand why you're so concerned with the Arboretum because it's a beautiful place during the summertime with everything in bloom. I've not been there for a while so I was sad to read your post regarding the state it's in now. I agree with catfan that there always seems to be money available for 'other things'. I'll leave it at that because I want to keep my post about the Arboretum. I think that, because you're a new Member, you haven't noticed that quite a lot of threads go from one thing to another and there's quite a lot of banter between a few of us. Lizzie is one of these and is one of our most popular Members and, if you ever attend a Nottstalgia meet-up, you'll find this out for yourself. I'm not trying to speak for Lizzie, I'm just saying that she wouldn't send you, or anyone else, a 'catty post'. I hope your stay in hospital wasn't for anything too serious and that you're now feeling a little better.

• Upvote 3

MissingMotown, you posted your thread on here ranting about the state of the Arboretum & moaning about Nottingham City Council's cut backs concerning the up keep of the Arboretum.

When myself & other posters commented & actually agreeing with your post it is you who has turned this topic in to a Homo bashing discussion, no one else.If you trouble yourself to go back & reread the posts by members you will easily see what I mean.

MissingMotown what is your agenda ? Certainly not the Arboretum I don't think. Talk about the Arboretum, then stay on topic then.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

We all love the Arboretum and it was posted the the council can always find money to fund other things apart from our heritage ie: Nottingham pride,don't have a pop at true Notts folk they are the salt of the earth and among the most reliable people you could wish to meet so get off your high horse,get your head out of your ar$e and get back on topic

Rog

• Upvote 2

I'm sure Lizzie wouldn't intentionally have insulted you MM. For heavens sake she isn't a mind reader (I don't think so anyway) and certainly wouldn't have realised that you had been hospitalised. She certainly didn't deserve your two insulting remarks.

• Upvote 4

Despite the banter,Motown is correct- the Arboretum is run down,last Monday I visited the spot where I layed my Mother's ashes and was shocked at it's drab appearance. I could go negative and say a pizza and burger freaks mobility scooter could finance a good few beds etc..and a non national who has just hopped out of the channel tunnel could earn his keep; but that will never happen.Firstly I would contact local MP and council parks Dpt. If this fails to please..enquire about a group of volunteers going in and show the boggers up on TV/Radio etc..I know that rates and tax has been paid but as always the ' dig for victory' British pensioners have to do it themselves!! Similar here,I am two miles from where the fight for Irish freedom began in 1916- next year it is the 100 year anniversary at Sologhead quarry.. they robbed the quarry dynamite to use on the GPO building in Dublin.The ( monument??) Is a holy disgrace,I ( English!!) rang brigade boss to enquire and volunteer for a clean- up for said 2016 function... Nothing planned!! It will all be in bleedin' Dublin with Merkle and Obama in tow!!..to get back to the point they can send Child Benefit to Eastern Europe, but can't despatch gerrainiums to Waverley st!!

Volunteers are frowned upon as their presence infringes H & S regulations. Marvellous isn't it !!!!!

But the employers of the employed wont let them go and sort it out,as was said in an earlier post are the council running the place down to deriliction (sp) with the end game of building houses or worse more student accomadation on the place

Rog

I can do better than that Ian, I will post some other photos (1970's though) not yet uploaded.

Sorry I missed you when you were in Nottingham, I would have loved to have shared a few pints with you and Mick in the Lime Kiln.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just goes to show that no-one does care about that beautiful park, don't compare it even to the Embankment - there is nowhere else of that quality & content and no-one is helping the poor gardeners one bit. Shocking!!

I said the Memorial Gardens on the Embankment, Missing Motown. Years back it used to have lovely flower displays and was very well-kept, as befitting it's purpose. The gardeners' building was actually on-site.

Re Robbie's photograph: near the monkey puzzle tree you could enjoy some refreshment from that kiosk,the paper cups had that blue Chinese design,funny I thought it would have been Lyons Maid.Terrapins and tortoises, monkeys and birds kept us kids on there," no ball games" was strictly enforced; rolly polly down to the bust,apparently it was a full statue..but fell off the cart upon delivery!!- so they just mounted the head. Fergus O'Connor.. Wow what a 19th century bloke...reformist..editor/founder of Manchester Guardian.. sadly died in an asylum. Had some good times in an around that shack..thanks Robbie.

Full statue of F.o' Connor is near the cannons..moved in the 80's.

• 1 month later...

Posts about The Arboretum, I was looking through some old books yesterday and found this:-

FLOREAT ARBORETUM

Floreat Arboretum!

Et Jessicus Booticus

Playing fields of Long Eaton

And Spartan Barton Bus.

All of these have come to mean

Nottingham - the Midland Queen.

Floreat Arboretum!

Most blessed of central parks;

This plot, this other Eden

And similar remarks;

Where sheep may graze, all unattacked