My late aunt used to tell me that, when she was first married she lived in 'Narrow Marsh' and the back of her house was up against a rock face.

Would that have been near Broad Marsh?

The cliff face stretched more or less the full length of narrow Marsh.

And some of the houses certainly did extend into the rock face.

I do have a nice map of Broad/Narrow marsh in my collection.

My late aunt used to tell me that, when she was first married she lived in 'Narrow Marsh' and the back of her house was up against a rock face.

Would that have been near Broad Marsh?

To demonstrate what Bubblewrap has said, this shows demolition work on Narrow Marsh with rock face and caves behind where the houses had been.

narrow%20marsh.jpg

Any chance of you putting it on Bubblewrap? I would sure like to see it as I'm very interested in the history of the area.

The map measures 42" x 28" Scale 1/500 or ten & a half feet to the mile

So having to reducing it down to screen would not do it justice.

How ever I can get photo copies done for £3.50 each & bring them over to Nottingham.(at no extra cost as I have a bus pass)

My mother was born on Taylor St in 1922. It was off New Bridge St, which ran from Canal St to Broad Marsh and was on the west side of the railway line. She always refered to it as being in Narrow Marsh. Did Narrow Marsh as an area, not the actual street, extend to Carrington St?

Narrow Marsh ran from Middle Marsh/Middle Hill - Plumptre Square

Broad Marsh ran from Carrington Sreeet /Lister Gate - Middle Marsh

Middle Marsh was a continuation of Sussex Street which in turn became Middle Hill.

That's what I always thought too, Bubblewrap. I once pointed out to my mum that Taylor St was actually in Broad Marsh. She was insistent the whole area was termed Narrow Marsh and nobody called it Broad Marsh when she was young.

This might help. It's the 1901 OS map of the area. Narrow Marsh (the road) goes across the top right and later became Red Lion Street. Broad Marsh (the road) is at top left, and Middle Marsh is at the top centre near Weekday Cross Signal Box. Taylor Street is over on the left off New Bridge Street.

marsh_2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes thanks Cliff, I have that map and showed it to my mum pinpointing Taylor St some time back. She was adamant it was all Narrow Marsh to the folk that lived there and Broad Marsh was just a street.

I suppose the whole area could have been known as Narrow Marsh to the locals of the time; it was a bigger / longer road than Broad Marsh and had more housing off it.

Maybe once Narrow Marsh became Red Lion Street people gradually forgot the old name and started calling it all Broad Marsh.

Thank you Cliff Ton and others. That`s fascinating and turns an old family story into reality.

TBI #9 - that`s a coincidence. My aunt moved to the Medders when her home was demolished. She used to say that the back room of her house was actually hollowed out of the rock. We thought she was making it up at the time, or at least exaggerating.

Perhaps it was true. Too late to apologise.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's interesting, EileenH. You can read and research, but talking to folk that actually lived and experienced always puts a new dimension. My mum said when they moved to Clyde St on Wilford Rd, her first impression was how low the houses were. Her house on Taylor St apprently, was four or five storeys high.

Wow no, thanks Cliff, how could I have missed that! Interesting that my mum and her three sisters were all machinists. I'll ask her if they did any work on the upper floors when I see her again. She'll be thrilled to see that picture.

• 2 years later...