As my in-laws were from the Marsh's I went to a talk on Broad Marsh and Narrow Marsh at Nottingham city library, I brought a book which was compiled by Nottingham Archives which is called  Turning Back the Pages in Old Broad Marsh & Narrow Marsh, the first page is a map of the area date 1744, their is also a map with were "Plan of Caves" if any member would like to have a look at the book , hopefully at the next   meeting  I will bring it a long.

• 2 weeks later...

Just managed to contact my last remaining uncle,age 94, he confirmed my grandparents lived in Caanan St. and my father & several brothers & 1 sister being born there. later moving to Albion St. (bottom left on map) He told me that during the demolition the work stopped as the men were taking too much "livestock" home with them whilst the rats & mice were also causing problems! He also confirmed a childhood memory I have was a 'true' one, apparently the council  set the Marsh on fire one Sunday morning to deal with the infestation, The University Air Squadron took advantage of this unusual event by pretending to attack the area with 'flour bombs', (not 100% about explosives being used at the same time?) The memory I have is of seeing these RAF marked biplanes diving across the Meadows and down onto the Broad Marsh area, it was definitely a Sunday morning  in 1937 or '38. Are we both mistaken? Anyone confirm?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Albert, that was a bit before my time... I don't often get to say that these days !

• Like 2
Albert you are correct . It was the "Air Raids Precaution" demonstration held on a Sunday morning early in May 1938 . One of the "target" houses to be bombed by the 504 squadron was earlier used for a fire practice and the blaze nearly got out of hand . Fortunately they saved enough of the building for it to be bombed the following week . Apparently a crowd of 15,000 watched the bombing and subsequent removal of casualties and the fire fighting skills .

BROAD MARSH BUILDING .
Members ot Nottingham's auxiliary fire service can count themselves fortunate that they are still to have the chance of demonstrating their firefighting skill on the building which is to be bombed during the Air Raids Precautions demonstration......
04 May 1938 - Nottingham Journal - Nottingham, 

A week later :

An air-raid warden was doing his normal war time patrol near Broad Marsh when the sirens warned the approach of "enemy aircraft". Six fast bombing planes passed over the site and the first release of “bombs” struck a house which immediately burst into flames.........
16 May 1938 - Nottingham Journal 

Will post some pics when I can get on my laptop .
  • Like 2

You can just make out the bi-planes flying over the target in the top left corner......the huge crowd looks a bit close !

28804091797_896fae9b8e_b.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks DW for confirmation & picture, I'll pass it on to my uncle asap.  I know what he'll say"B----- hell, spectacular way to get rid of a few fleas & bugs".  But as things turned out it made for a very realistic drill and a show for the 'natives'.

Margie,  it was quite a lot before your time! CU on Tuesday.  

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I passed on the map, pic & some of the comments to my uncle and he's written back, he's 94, lives alone and I don't think he writes many letters but he does have a style & a sense of humor. I think his letter is well worth sharing so I hope you'll agree?

Alan_N_Marsh060.jpg

Alan_N_Marsh_2061.jpgpc screenshot

Alan_N_Marsh_3062.jpg

• Like 2

Narrow Marsh/ Broad Marsh I can remember my mother in law saying that if you could not pay the rent you just did a moonlight flit from one side of the Marsh's to the other, also she would mention the nine '0 clock horse's who came around to empty the s---- bins and also their used to be a knocker up chap, who would go around and with a large pole tap on your window so you would not be late for work.

• 3 years later...

Just to add to radfordred picture!!!!

just taken from ordnance survey map of 1901 second edition

Old Narrow Marsh and Broad Marsh  from Lister Gate/ Drury Hill/   Leen Side / Canal  Street/ Station Street/Carrington Street in between were New Bridge St/ Harrington St  / Canaan St / Castle St /Clifton St / Grove St / Taylor St  / Manton St / albert St Alban St / Elgin S t / just to name a few

Maybe its the car park that is the start of the Marsh's   ps don't forget the 9 00 clock hos'ores , (HORSE's)