In a kind of response to Chulla's poem, I can give a little history of something very like it.

In the September before the Gulf War a unit of us in the RAMC went to Arnhem, to be guided by a vetaran. What a vetaran he was! A Geordie with bright ginger hair and one arm less than he was born with. Name of Henry MacAnally. The arm was blown off inadvertently by a German tank commander wh fell asleep against the tank gun and set a round off (This is true because Henry actually found the tank commander!) 

Amongst the many fascinating things he described, one story struck me. He described seeing a woman who attended an RAF pilot's grave every year, and would sit in the very beautiful graveyard at Oosterbeek. One year she was not on her usual bench, and Henry asked the gardeners if she was here, they said no, she IS here. They had scattered her ashes at about the same time the plane crashed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its that time of year again. I wear my poppy with pride, but it has taken me on a line of thought. I may be being a little idealistic, or even somewhat daft, but I'll explain. Every year, I visit the

I saw a boy marching, with medals on his chest,  He marched alongside Soldiers, marching six abreast,  He knew it was Remembrance Day, he walked along with pride,  And did his best to keep in step wit

Lest we forget, not only the lads who didn't come back but those who grieved for them.   The interrupted romance   An evening stroll, a summer's night, a sweetheart and her beau,

Not exactly Remembrance, but since Coventry was mentioned above:

This afternoon lounging cold ridden on the couch, I caught a TV  documentary programme on the 'Movies For Men' channel. It was called something like 'The Raid on Coventry'.

It was an odd sort of prog, which gave a lengthy account of the supposed reason why Hitler switched from attacking London to attacking Coventry.  It seems he was a bit hacked off about attacks on Munich spoiling his enjoyment of the 'Octoberfest', which seems a bit odd for a non drinker.

Anyway, after accounts of the huge attack on Coventry, the prog then goes into a lengthy diatribe about Public Information Films.  It also mentions the bombing of Birmingham, and briefly, the bombing of Nottingham.  The Nottingham coverage shows a shot of the Old Market Square, plus some unspecific shots of bomb damage.

For what it's worth, my old Mum told me that there was loss of life when the Co-op Bakery in Nottm was hit.  She also told how Springfield Primary School in Bulwell Hall was damaged by bombs which she said were intended for the Bulwell Viaduct of the Great Central Line.

Anyway. I don't know if there is any sort of 'catch up' facility for 'Movies For Men', but interested parties might want to have a look if they can.

Col

• 1 month later...

Well there's a surprise ! FIFA have heavily fined the England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland Football Associations for having the outrageous audacity to wear black armbands depicting a poppy during their recent international football matches. 

How dare they, when the majority of Europe is soaked with the blood of our brave men as a result of us baling them out during two world wars, while the majority of them sat on their backsides ! 

I appreciate that political logos are banned, but this is ridiculous in the extreme. We should blatantly refuse to pay, then what would they do? Ban us. So what, we're never likely to win anything anyway.

It's time we made a stand against such spineless and cowardly treatment.

• Upvote 5