Maureen O'Hara

Hollywood legend Irish born actress Maureen O'Hara dies at 95. She starred in "Miracle on 34th Street", "The Parent Trap" with Haley Mills, as well as many movies with John Wayne including "The Quiet Man." Her last major film role was as John Candy's Mother in "Only The Lonely."

They're all leaving.... :(

RIP

• Upvote 1

Ah yes Maureen O'Hara what a Film Star she made many great films and will be fondly remembered. I remember her at the Oscars when John Wayne received his she was in tears for him.

I am so lucky that she sent me her autograph.

Best wishes

Peter

So sad to hear of the passing of Maureen O'Hara.

She had been married to WW2 fighter pilot and Pan American Airways pilot Charles Blair, and lost him when his flying-boat crashed in the Caribbean. In 1951 he flew a Mustang from America non-stop over the North Pole to London Heathrow in records time for a piston engine aircraft (7 hours 48 minutes)at an average speed of 446 mph. The record still stands. Before he made the return journey, from Norway, he flew the aircraft up to Hucknall for a check-over.

In January 1981 a model replica of the aircraft was installed on the terrace of the Queen's Building at Heathrow by Pan Am to commemorate the event, and the ceremony was attended by Maureen. I dealt with Pan Am with my job in the RB211 Service Department at Derby and so wangled an invitation to the ceremony. When she and her husband had stayed in London they stayed with Ronnie Harker, the ex-Hucknall test pilot who was the instigator of putting the Merlin engine in the Mustang, back in 1942. I knew Ronnie. He couldn't get to the ceremony as he was in New Zealand.

I got to talk to Maureen after the ceremony was over and reminded her of mutual acquaintance with Ronnie. I took with me a photograph of the aircraft at Hucknall having a ground run. She kindly signed it (I didn't ask her to)and I have this lovely memento of her. She was a lovely, soft-spoken, red-haired, green-eyed person; a lady in every respect.

Blairs%20Mustang_zps2zvdwvfx.jpg

• Upvote 9

Lovelly lady, born the same year as my mother and one of the last surviving stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood, starred in some great films - May she Rest in Peace.........Xxx

Hear, hear Blondie. We have lost a true great from the golden age. I was only watching ' The Quiet Man ' on Saturday afternoon ( one of my all time favourite films...) and was thinking how stunning she looked. If anyone can get hold of a copy read 'Tis Herself, her autobiography, it is a great Hollywood memoir...RIP Maureen.

So Chulla, if that shot is at Hucknall, those are the old slag heaps of Hucknall No.2. pit in the background? (Or is it No.1? I can never remember.) Anyway, we used to sit on those heaps to watch the air displays, or sometimes just to wait in the hope that something would skim barely above us to land.

Great pic!

Col

The day of the ceremony had awful weather with thick fog. After the unveiling we went to a private room for drinks and eats. I got talking to a lovely quiet chap, who worked in the control tower at Dublin Airport. He was a friend of Maureen, and when she visited Ireland she would contact him and he made all of the arrangements for her on this side of the Atlantic. She had her own place in Ireland and he would see that everything was ready for her.

We hear so much negative about the Irish, and there are those that deserve it. But many are lovely people, and I like to think that I have met two of them.

Pan%20Am%20invite_zpsnsjkhyvl.jpg

M%20OHara_zpsqvgygiov.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • 6 months later...

I make no apology for posting this. We all love a lovely smile and I want to show you what I think is the nicest. It is on the face of actress Maureen O'Hara, who sadly died not long ago. It is not only the teeth that makes a smile, it also the mouth. Many people have a nice smile but the overall impression - the shape of the mouth and line of the lips, which contribute greatly to the final effect, is not evident. Marilyn Monroe and many other film stars noted for their beauty had nice smiles, but not beautiful smiles. Look at this recording of Maureen O'Hara being interviewed on US TV when she was 76 years old, and just look at that wonderful mouth and the smile it surrounds. And to think, that mouth once conversed with me. Sigh!

• Upvote 2

Crikey Chulla, calm it, you'll be having a coronary at this rate!

Yes, you're quite correct about mouths. I like full lips, not just a little slit, and nice teeth too. There's always more to a woman than the obvious. I'm definitely not a boob man, but look further. Hair, eyes, legs, posture, deportment, Yes , even down to the way they walk.

Blimey, I'm at it now, I'd better go and stand in the rain for a moment.

• Upvote 2

Slim and curvaceous. Not shaped like an old milk bottle.

• Upvote 1