Simple things....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes the simple things in life are the best. Take this flower for example; no fancy blouseyness - just simple, smiling flower......beautiful:

The simple things, for me, are those that bring you joy, friendship, love, devotion and are always by your side when you need them.

Isn't thread drift great?! Things simply drift off topic and soon become another topic completely. As the Meerkats say "Simples"

Isn't thread drift great?! Things simply drift off topic and soon become another topic completely. As the Meerkats say "Simples" :)

• Upvote 4

You posted same time as me carnie,..........so yes you anall..............i'm gagging for a drop of Alcohol........but on the anti biotics,so best not.

Read the possible side effects,..............feeling sick,heart palpitations,rash,sweating,headaches,Dizzyness,nightmares,etc,............bugger it,i'll chance it,

Not really,......lol

G'day Catfan, Fly2 and RobL

From what you guys say it looks like you are getting Chateau de Cardboard or Goon Bag quality wine in bottles.

Fly2 re#10 and the recent experience with Volkswagen are you really getting what you think you are when you buy German wines?

When we first came downunder there was a brand of Leibfraumilch called Blue Nun but better known among the young blokes as

" Legopenermilch"

I thought it translated as Young Maidens Water.... LOL.

Are we really getting what we want with anything..... I would think not.

Wine is only good when you like it. Anybody like italian wines.?In this area we are famous for Barolo, Barbaresco, Barbera and of course Asti Spumante and Moscato.

Going back to the simple things that compo put on....what a lovely flower, at the moment chrysanths are in full bloom for all saints when everyone respect their ancestors and family that are buried in the cemetries.

At least for a short while the sad place looks beautiful.

• Upvote 2

Yes nonnaB, I like Italian wines and despite what Hippogirl says, I do actually prefer whites like Frascati and Pinot Grigio. Yes back on topic, 'Simple Things' ....... a bottle of wine is good!

Oztalgian...re #40.

Blue Nun wasn't a bad drop of white when it was icy cold.

Remember the 'Cold Duck' red wine and the 'Sangria'?

Trevor S re #45

Certainly do remember "Cold Duck" the Kaiser Stuhl sparkling light red and as for Sangria I remember several hangovers in Ibiza and Minorca caused by drinking jugs of the stuff in the late sixties and early seventies. I believe the damage was caused by the Spanish brandy which I think was called Fundador.

On another grog memory from that era, I was in our local bottle shop recently and saw some Mateus Rose in the classically shaped bottle. Upon tasting I was immediately transported back to meals at the Berni Inns around Nottingham. I know they have been covered extensively elsewhere on this site and I was a little sad to hear that the Chateau has now gone as I recall one magic night where after the meal we came out to find the cars and trees all covered with snow amid the coloured lights.

Mateus Rose,....ah yes had many a romantic evening with a Candle stuck in one of them bottles,...lol.

• Upvote 1

As far as I know the translation of Liebfraumilch is Beloved Lady's Milk........it has something to do with the Virgin Mary. Again as far as I know it was first produce from the vineyards of a church of the same name Beloved Lady that is. Blue Nun of course also has a religious connotation.

#46 & #47...........Memories of a time long ago..............................

I used to regularly load out of Kaiser Stuhl for Melbourne in the early 70s. A favourite trick of the truckies was to break a bottle in a box while loading, show the forklift driver the leaking box and then put the box to one side as you continued loading. The forkie would bring out a replacement box and the damaged one would be forgotten......5 bottles for home.

Also, after loading, you could go to the cellar door and sample the wares.

Many a semi loaded with wines came to grief on the road to Melbourne and that was another source of free grog. Unfortunately, some drivers paid the ultimate price but I never saw any looting as such at a fatal, at least by the other truckies.

• Upvote 1