Pleasure Park at Colwick and Trent Lane

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted a picture of myself and some family members on Paul Robey's website (BBC RADIO). Taken at the Pleasure Park and Tea Gardens in the 60's. Unfortunately you can't see any of the rides. When my

Re #4 & #8 For anyone who remembers the Pleasure Park. I have spoken again to the lady in the booking office. She remembered me and we had chat about the "Pleasure Park". She telephoned Christine

funny this subject should come up tonight just got in from white heart tonigh talking to old friend willy he was saying he was brought up meadow lane think he said firth st i think he said we got to t

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Re #4 & #8 For anyone who remembers the Pleasure Park.

I have spoken again to the lady in the booking office. She remembered me and we had chat about the "Pleasure Park". She telephoned Christine Holten who gave her permission for me to add her name to my post.

Chris helped to run the Park all of those years ago. She also sold the Walls Ice cream.

A few bits of info...Tea was sold by the jug at 5/- deposit if taken out of the cafe and 1/- for the tea.

There was a store room were any one with a cut foot or problem with leeches could be helped.

Entry fee to the Park was 2d per child all day.

The workers on the Park recieved 2/- per hour wages.

A lady called Mary Whetton ran the Park

A Gentleman called Jack ran the slot machines, he would play Nat King Cole music throughout the day.

There were also rides..Aeroplanes, Swing Boats etc.

I still haven't found any photo's but I haven't given up yet.

• Upvote 4

Carni, I like the way you just slipped in that info about the leeches!! Glad to say I don't recall having had a problem with them on the few occasions I went, but I recall the excitement of looking forward to going, the actuality never quite matched the anticipation, the best part was getting there on a pleasure boat from Trent Bridge. Even then the Park was starting to get somewhat run down and a little scruffy.

I have always held the place Dear. Our Mam took us so often it was like a second home during the long summer holidays. I have thoroughly enjoyed looking for information about the park and after speaking to Christine Holten on the telephone I now look forward to our meeting when she returns from her holiday. We are still unable to find any photographs of the Park, Christine herself has tried to find some, but I think they must all be tucked away in personal albums. If I find any I will post them for anyone with fond memories to enjoy.

• 2 months later...

I posted a picture of myself and some family members on Paul Robey's website (BBC RADIO). Taken at the Pleasure Park and Tea Gardens in the 60's. Unfortunately you can't see any of the rides. When my Dad was first married he lived on a boat that was moored there.

• Upvote 4

Mamma6 Welcome to Nottstalgia,

It would be nice to see your Pleasure Park Pictures if you get the chance to post them on here. There are a lot of people on Nottstalgia with happy memories of going there in the 1950/60s. I'm afraid I haven't had my return call from Christine Holten, She was going on holiday and intended calling me on her return.I feel sure she will contact me when she has time.

• 1 year later...

Hello

New here but basically I'm researching a short book about the history of the old Trent Lane Depot site at Colwick as it gets redeveloped as housing. I'm interested in speaking to anyone who worked there, worked on the cargo boats which delivered there or even lived nearby. From what I can gather it really petered out as a working depot in the early 1980s but was still receiving cargo as late as 1996. Anecdotes or pictures are welcome.

There was also a funfair/beach nearby called Colwick Pleasure Park. Any info/pics about this also welcome.

Thanks

Mark

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Mark67. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. As Cliff Ton has stated, there're plenty of posts regarding Trent Lane etc to fill your book. I lived on Grainger Street, which was a few minutes away, so I spent plenty of time at the Pleasure Park

when I was a kid. I wish you well with your book.

Welcome to Nottstalgia Mark67. Join the gang and have fun. Lots of us have fond memories of "The Pleasure Park" I'm sure you will find what you are looking for on Cliff Tons Link on #2. Happy Hunting. :biggrin:

Thank you for your replies. I have followed various threads and learned a lot! Various mentions of photographs floating around but does anyone possess a pic of the Pleasure Park? Or of Trent Lane and the depot? I have tracked down a few already via the British Waterways archive but personal pictures are welcome

Mark

Considering how many people went to - and remember - the Pleasure Park, it must be the most non-photographed place in the area.

Here's a couple of the Waterways depot in the mid 30s. The road in the centre of both photos is Trent Lane.

colwick1.jpg

colwick2.jpg

Thanks. I have already seen those pics. The depot was finished in 1933 but in these I cannot see the concrete basin which still remains so this must be before construction was complete. And no sign of the Pleasure Park at the bottom of Trent Lane at this time! Was it seasonal or permanent?

Famous as the site of Boon's office.

I had reason to visit quite often in the late 80s and never saw any signs of cargo being delivered by water. However the warehouse that backed onto the basin you mention was rented by a company called Anglo American as a bonded arms store. They had purchased a battalion armoury from the Chinese government 32 tonner after 32 tonner full of thousands of rifles, machine guns etc. We used to test fire the guns into that very basin.

• 1 month later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pleasure Park at Colwick and Trent Lane