Does anyone still have a cooked breakfast

The other evening on TV I was watching a documentary on food connected to cancer. During the discussion a famous dietician made a comment that got me thinking and I was to say the least indignant.

I don't know if this scare has arisen in UK but its quite high on the lists here. They say that red meats and highly processed foods should be avoided or at least restricted to a couple of times per week. We have a lot of salami type foods and a lot are made by small farms. One thing this dietician said was that in Uk everyone has a cooked breakfast with sausages and bacon , black pudding etc. I thought hang on a minute how can you say that you don't live there so you don't know what the British eat. He says that carbohydrates should be kept to A.M. and proteins in the evening. I follow more or less this way but my daughter has to as shes borderline diabetic. She's been following this diet for a few years and shes now in perfect health.

Returning to red meats etc they have interviewed many people with very mixed views. Some reply that they are scared others rarely eat red meat and others va..........o!

Its true though if you take notice of everything thats told us we'd starve.

I think I'll carry on with what I'm doing, just being careful with the occasional "a little of what you fancy does you good"

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was watching a news programme today about Boris Johnson's visit to the Virgin Islands and  standing behind him was my son !!!!  He was only  on view for seconds but so nice to see him so unexpectedl

Now THAT'S what I call a cooked breakfast! 1. In preparation......   2. Cooked and ready to eat....  

There were never any racial divisions on NCT, all races, religeons & creeds got on famously ! Even the banter that flowed was good humoured. You could try & wind a muslim up by offering him a

Full English once every few weeks. Can't fault it. Everything in moderation. LOL

Agreed ...I love a full english breakfast but sadly we can't buy decent bacon here . They sell it but its so thin or else its in cubes. I usually stock up when I go to UK or friends bring them down along with cheddar.

There was an article debunking the cancer scare of red meat and bacon during the week, using the scaremongers own figures, it's about 0.01% higher chance with meat eaters than vegans...So eat up folks, everything causes cancer...LOL

I eat cerials with three tablespoons of unprocessed bran on them each day as none of us gets enough fibre in our diets, plus I suffer with IBS without the bran.

I've never been a great meat eater, I don't smoke and only have the occasional glass of wine in company and love a glass of beer with pizza . So you tell me how I manged still to get 4 tumors.

• Upvote 1

Re #2 - Quite right Benjamin - or as the Romans would say "Moderato in omnibus" (often wrongly translated as "No more than five standing!")

When I was at school, my mum feared being accused of parental neglect if I didn't have bacon, egg and fried bread before going out in the morning. I still love it, but since heart attack last year, I mostly abstain - or occasionally go for the rather anodyne alternative of poached egg, grilled bacon and toast.

• Upvote 2

When I was a child, my mum always cooked egg and bacon for me at breakfast. Now I only have cereal and fresh fruit, except for when I'm on holiday.

We always had proper breakfasts when we were children, never allowed out without a proper meal inside us.................................We always have the full English, bacon and egg or boiled eggs, toast, marmalade etc. on a Saturday as it is the only day we have breakfast together in the week........Have cereal or porridge during the week, im indoors still works and he is usually out before I am up and he goes fishing most Sunday mornings, he leaves around 3AM........We have always eaten a lot of red meat, bacon and eggs over the years as my hubby and his family were butchers, our parent's and grandparent's all lived to be a ripe old age and died of natural causes, no cancers or medications, so I think it is all about good family genes and having the right attitude about life, work and play go side by side...........'Live and be merry for tomorrow you may die.'.......(Can't remember who said that).......

• Upvote 2

Have a poached egg and cereal every day. Only have bacon nd egg if I have breakfast out. Don't eat a lot of meat. As others have said, moderation. I don't hear much of these experts doing much research on GMO foods and the pesticides that find their way into just about everything we eat. Few years ago coffee was bad for you, now its o-k in moderation. I just tune 'em out. Sick of hearing their bleating.

• Upvote 1

Blondie, your quotation comes from the Bible! It's in Luke chapter 12 and comes at the end of a story that Jesus told verses 16 - 21..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I only have sausage and bacon on a Saturday for my breakfast, along with everything else, except black pudding, that makes up the full English breakfast. None of our food is cooked in fat. I always have Shredded Wheat, without any sugar, for my breakfast because I couldn't face a full English breakfast with my first cuppa of the day. I'm thinking that this sausage and bacon scare was designed to turn us all into good Muslims. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Now I am semi retired I not eat before noon in the week just lots of tea. I do love a FEB but can't eat like I used to so make do with egg, bacon and toast at the weekend.

Some where in the dim and distant past I remember an American report saying black coffee and fried bacon were a carcinogenic combination. Another scientist looked into it and agreed it was a bad combination but you would have to eat more than was humanly possible for it to do any harm.

• Upvote 1

I can't remember when I last had a Full English Breakfast, it's years ago and would have been when on holiday. I just have a couple of cereal bars and a cup of tea these days. We've always got bacon in the fridge and sometimes will have a bacon sarnie at lunchtime.

My Dad had 2 Shredded Wheat every single day for at least 60 years (that's how far back I can remember), a little boring but it didn't do him any harm as he lived into his 90s. "Pass the hot milk please"

When my boys were at school I made them pancakes for breakfast every day!

• Upvote 3

When i'm up 4am for work i have Strong Black Coffee and any fruit,...........but by 9am i;m ready for a good 'Georgie Best'...lol.

Pancakes...... Yum yum.

Pancakes never made it over here...strange. I remember in the sixties a pancake shop opened in Leicester.Every type of pancake you could think of...it lasted three months.

And yet the other Yankee fast foods have caught on over the years.