Does anyone still have a cooked breakfast

Recently had a weekend in London, and last weekend was in Somerset.

The scrambled egg was stiff at times, but the bacon was almost still alive. Pink and soggy. Plastic black pudding and thin fried bread.

Who cares....... It soaked up the previous nights alcohol intake .... Just!

Southerners are clueless when it comes to steaks or fry ups.

Plus they watch Eastenders, Towie, Jerry Springer and other assorted mindless crap.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was watching a news programme today about Boris Johnson's visit to the Virgin Islands and  standing behind him was my son !!!!  He was only  on view for seconds but so nice to see him so unexpectedl

Now THAT'S what I call a cooked breakfast! 1. In preparation......   2. Cooked and ready to eat....  

There were never any racial divisions on NCT, all races, religeons & creeds got on famously ! Even the banter that flowed was good humoured. You could try & wind a muslim up by offering him a

It reminds me of the late 40s early 50s at the Wm Crane infants' school when cold toast used to be taken in for a snack/breakfast and I remember one lad who used to eat a candle. If that isn't a feed line, I don't know what is!

Just had my favourite cooked breakfast - mussels and bacon. This was a favourite of our family when I was young, when mussels were in season. The mussels are in a thickening made with plain flour and water. A sprinkling of pepper and toast to dunk in the thickening and there you have a breakfast fit for a king. Ambrosia from the gods.

Nice recipe Chulla.

I have never had Mussels cooked in sauce. My aunt, who lived by the coast in Norfolk; would collect her own fresh mussels and feed them in an old bath (No idea what with) and then make "Moules Marinieres". I was never tempted.

My mussels come from Morrisons, ready washed. All we do is cover them in a little salt, pepper and a little sugar added to diluted vinegar. I just leave them on the kitchen top and they are usually gone within the hour.

We sometimes have Smoked Haddock, Kipper or Smoked Mackerel for breakfast, but rarely have a full English these days. More likely for tea than breakfast.

I absolutely love mussels in all forms, but I've never had them for breakfast. I must give it a go.

Love mussells cooked any which way, from chilli to just poached in white wine or even thrown on the barbie cooked in their own juices.

Love cooked oysters too but cannot stomach them raw (el naturel) !

Actually made myself a little poorly the other day, I pigged out with a doz and a half of Kilpatrick extra large oysters, simply delicious at the time but I think I overloaded on the salt content !

Any seafood is good food as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

Chulla, reading your post about eating mussels in a sauce reminded me of one of my favourite things - mushrooms done in the same way with flour, milk and butter to make a sauce. I first had them in a cafe in Mansfield when I was about 18 and they were served on toast. We nurses used to go there when we had an afternoon off to treat ourselves.

Margie, That is one of my all time favorites as well. Mam used to cook it for us with bacon or sausage, which ever she had in.

Some of the men around Gedling used to go collecting something called Blueys (not sure of spelling) and sell them in the Grey Goose bar, but I didn't like them, to slimey for me, but they would have them with bacon the same, my mam and dad loved them.Yuk!

When I cook Bacon and egg and Mushrooms for hubbs; I often have the creamed mushrooms myself. Mmmm.

I just realised that mam was from Mansfield, so perhaps she had that meal as a child there?

• Upvote 2

.Carni, I think your aunt might have used porridge oats to clean the mussels. I was born near the sea and I spent the school holidays with my grandparents.Grandad used to take us cockling on the sands at Walney Island. We thought it was wonderful treading the sands and watching the cockles rise to the surface. Grandma always. put them into water and sprinkled porridge overthem and leave them a few days to get ridof the sand and dirt. G/dad used to search the rock pools and bring home dozens of crabs in a sack then empty them all over the kitchen floor. I've never lost my pleasure in eating sea food and enjoy everything. Mussels I love in every way but my favourite is with garlic, tomato and white wine withplenty of bread to mop up.

I think the blueys were blue buttons. I like them. Here we have porcini mushrooms they have a very strong taste and they make a very nice risotto. At the moment its the season for them and everyone goes mad for them. I think they are called cepes. ( french or english I dont know)

• Upvote 3

Blimey, I'm licking my lips already.

I had king prawns with chillies at Prezzos Italian restaurant last night.

Until last year I would buy mussels in their shells. Then boil them to open, drain off and then take the 'beard' out. Now, I buy them ready for the pan. Either way they are now expensive, so why waste time preparing them when you can get them ready for cooking. The thickening (sauce, if you like) is added just before you are ready to serve - in the pan just long enough to get hot. When you make the thickening - in a cup, make it thin in texture, like say thin soup, not semalina. If the latter then it will go lumpy in the pan as soon as the heat gets to it.

I remember well dad preparing the mussels on Saturday nights, ready for Sunday breakfast. He would boil them to cook and open, and half way through he would hold down the lid and give the pan a good shake - to open them up. We had a cat that absolutely adored mussels, and would be fast asleep in the living-room, but when he heard the noisy shaking of the pan he would wake up and fly into the kitchen like he had a bolt of electricity up his arse and take a flying leap on to dad's back. Dad put the pan down and reached over his should and got the cat by the scruff of its neck and pulled it off him. The cat's claws pulling threads out of dad's pullover. At times there is better comedy in your house than there is on the tele.

I don't always cook all the mussels. I save some to add to a salad, just add a little vinegar and pepper. Yum yum. No, they are not chewy, not in the way that they are difficult to get down. Mrs C won't eat them; only because she doesn't like the look of them.

They are very popular in France, where it is common to see moules et frites (chips) being eaten in the pavement restaurants. Oo la la; c'est manifique.

• Upvote 3

I recall with great fondness my mrs, who is Russian, facing a Scottish breakfast in a very lovely hotel near Dumfries. She was amazed and ate an incredible amount of food. She till pesters me to find a hotel which does a proper English breakfast.

Chulla,

I do battlefield tours, one of them is D Day and until he died, there was an owner of a cafe at Arromanche, not far from where the British troops landed. He was a gruff but kindly man. I often turned up at his cafe and he would ask when the mussels should be ready. He would often get his wellies on and get the mussels from the sea, then put them into a bucket with a little flour and salt, ready for the next day. Moules al la patron. One lovely June evening I accompanied him out onto the beach and got a huge amount of mussels and he went out a little further and got a lobster. He cooked it for our supper, in his cafe, with me and my wife, and his wife, and lots of wine but no one else in the cafe. As expected, he was a typical Frenchman. He provided the food but we had to pay for the wine.

• Upvote 2

My mum always used to sprinkle flour on mussels for dad and I, in a large bowl the previous night, never understood why.

Last two days we've both done a heap of early morning walking, and finished at a beach cafe with full English breakfast ! very unusual for us but it looked and smelled so good we couldn't resist.

3 rashers smoked bacon, 3 eggs scrambled, mushrooms and tomatoes on 2 slices of soy and linseed buttered toast.

Back to the porrige today, as we have now left the SA coast to head inland to the Riverland district of S Australia.

• Upvote 2

jumbo boiled egg and toast today with marmalade and toast afterwards, followed with a hot cup of tea......yummy - we never, ever go without breakfast, best meal of the day.........

• Upvote 1

All bran, muesli and extra dried fruit and two coffees. Set me up for about four hours strenuous gardening.

Then at lunchtime, three slices of pork pie, a great dollop of piccalilli and some beetroot. Paradise..... Almost !

• Upvote 2