I was in the gables as an inpatient 1968.lve been looking for any information and can't seem to find any.lt was a psychiatric home for boys and girls with a range of problems children came from far and wide.lf anyone's out there that was there the same time as me let me know.l remember the news articles at tea time.The jobs rota,we were allowed home Friday tea time till sat tea time,then the following week sat tea till sun tea.l lived in for a year then travelled daily for nearly a year.We had PE and had to try to shimmy across a rusty beam by our hands.Alot of us wernt strong enough to do it.We had our own bit of gardening plots to tend to

Hello, Deb277. I hope you'll find what you're looking for here on Nottstalgia. It was interesting to read your post about the Home you lived in.

The National Archives has records from The Gables from 1946-52. It was at that time a school for maladjusted boys, and the address was 43 Sherwood Rise. The records are sealed for 75 years and not available until 2028. It must have gone 'mixed' after that date.

If I remember correctly it was somewhere around Third Ave on the right as you walked down Sherwood Rise. A large red brick building set back in its own gardens. It was a long time ago though when I attended the bucket bashers at the bottom of Sherwood Rise so would be late 50s.

On Sherwood Rise today, between Beech Avenue and Falcon Street is this place called The Gables. The name has been carried over from an earlier building.

gables2.jpg

In the early 60s there was an older place called The Gables. Shown here, although I can't enlarge the map enough to keep it sharp.

gables1.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Diane

You've mentioned you'd like to chat with Deb277 who started this thread. She hasn't logged in here since 1st November last year so she may not see your comment. You could try sending her a Personal Message (PM) which she might see.

Hover your mouse over her name on the top thread and you will see an option to "PM this member".

• 5 years later...

i was placed in the gables at 43 sherwood rise, as a wayward child ie being taken to school but leaving as soon as my parents left me there,at the time i was about 7 years old,i was there for approx two and a half years,this would have been around 1958,i was there when notts forest won the fa cup,one of my strongest memories of that time.i attended claremont primary school.every sunday we where taken to various churches all over nottingham,including one at the bottom of sherwood rise and the albert hall,we where given two pennies for the church collection.we where taken to a holiday camp, for children at skegness every year,for a week.

we where treated very well and had lots of activites like cricket on the forest,and general quizzes at night,funny i remember not wanting to leave and going home to my parents,

the place was run by a family called broughall,the father always said his initials aob stood for albert othlewistle broughall,i never really knew what his name was.

my family and i moved to devon,just before i turned 11,where my behaviour never changed,i was sent to a home in totnes devon,and it was being run buy the same family as the gables,they had moved there too.it was like going home to me.

those are just some of my memories of that time.

• Like 4

I think that's the first time I've read of someone who actually enjoyed their time 'in care', most relate horror stories of poor conditions and mistreatment. Glad you survived george and welcome to the forum...

Welcome, George!

It is indeed refreshing to hear of someone who benefited from their time in care, was happy and emerged undamaged.

I spent several years, before I retired, attending meetings relating to the formal investigations of child abuse in residential homes. It made for very depressing hearing/reading, I can tell you.  As they say, we very often don't hear the positive side of people's experiences.

Albert O Broughall was born in 1911 in King's Norton. He married his wife, Mabel in 1935 in Birmingham. He was a Brummie!

I can't find an entry of death but, no doubt, one of our members will...and possibly shed some light on his elusive middle name.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, george whyler said:

i was placed in the gables at 43 sherwood rise, as a wayward child ie being taken to school but leaving as soon as my parents left me there,at the time i was about 7 years old,i was there for approx two and a half years,this would have been around 1958,i was there when notts forest won the fa cup,one of my strongest memories of that time.i attended claremont primary school.every sunday we where taken to various churches all over nottingham,including one at the bottom of sherwood rise and the albert hall,we where given two pennies for the church collection.we where taken to a holiday camp, for children at skegness every year,for a week.

we where treated very well and had lots of activites like cricket on the forest,and general quizzes at night,funny i remember not wanting to leave and going home to my parents,

the place was run by a family called broughall,the father always said his initials aob stood for albert othlewistle broughall,i never really knew what his name was.

my family and i moved to devon,just before i turned 11,where my behaviour never changed,i was sent to a home in totnes devon,and it was being run buy the same family as the gables,they had moved there too.it was like going home to me.

those are just some of my memories of that time.

Was that Nottm Children's Home on Roseberry Ave ?

If so there is s thread on here somewhere.

I have just noticed that @george whyler

was placed in the Gordon Boys' Home. My great uncle, Thomas William Sparrow, born in 1881, was placed there after his step mother, Sarah Sparrow, died in 1893. His father, William Sparrow, emigrated to Canada, leaving Thomas William with the Gordon Boys and my grandfather, Ted Sparrow, aged 18 months, in the orphanage in Imperial Road, Beeston.

Ted was rescued by his mother's relatives but Thomas William went straight into the army from the Gordon Boys' Home and died in France in 1917.

Many years ago, someone on the staff of Nottinghamshire Archives extracted information on Thomas for me from the logs of Gordon Boys' Home. The documents are closed to public view.