Ban bonfires - flora a fauna is more important!

As a country boy at heart I'm against bonfires these days. November the 5th is one of the biggest killers of hedgehogs so be vigilant in your hedge bottoms and bonfires. There's only a million of the poor little buggers left.

Please support: http://www.willowshedgehogrescue.co.uk/ Twitter @WillowsHedgehog

I've enquired about local hedgehog rescue at home (Cardiff) but they don't have one yet, dunno about Nottingham.

buik7Kf.gif

• Upvote 4

There's an opening for you down there then Mick.

I agree in what you say Mick but you should always check before you light a garden fire anyway, no matter what time of year, you never know what could be nesting or if the neighbours have their washing hanging out.

One of the biggest culprits contributed to the fall in the number of hedgehogs is us humans occupying more of the countryside with new roads, estates, garden walls preventing freedom of movement, more motorists, the increase of the badger and fox population and gardeners who still use slug pellets and other poisons.

I too live in the countryside and encourage and protect wildlife in my garden but I also light fires and will be lighting one on the 5th.....but will check first

• Upvote 4

I ALWAYS purchase animal safe slug pellets.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Robbie, I always try to make an effort and it's nice to be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Trevor, photograph is one of six taken by my late father in law back in 1959.

This is purely guess work but the houses in the background could be the back of Sidney Grove and the builders yard where the lads are collecting the timber is now the funeral directors/parlour premises. I will upload the others if you are interested.

BTW. Have you any particular interest in this photograph?

Whilst not in any way wishing to underplay the plight of the Hedgehog, I doubt that bonfires are a significant issue. Just not often enough and bonfires are far less common now than they were.

Where I live, we haven't had a bonfire for years, yet the hedgehogs have continued to decrease in numbers. They were regulars in my garden, but not seen one for maybe 10 years. Used to see them wandering up the hedges, with little ones in tow.. but not for ages. Something else is afoot.

Col

I think it's because of the time of year , Hedgehogs are looking round for somewhere to snuggle down for the winter,and garden rubbish piles seem a good place for them,unfortunatley it's the time of the year when we humans tidy the garden up for winter ie: burning all the rubbish using bonfire night/nights as a good excuse to have a fire, I agree we should be on the lookout for any wildlife that could be using our gardens and outhouse buildings to over winter

Rog

• Upvote 1

When constructing some new fencing and trellis work in the garden earlier this summer, I ensured that there were openings of a sufficient size to let cats, hedgehogs and foxes have a free passage through the garden. The family of squirrels that visit need no special facilities and are most welcome.

• Upvote 2

I've been told that the fall in small bird numbers is down to the increase in jackdaw and magpie populations, they tend to chase the smaller birds away. This may well be true, as a kid growing up in the country I can't recall ever seeing a magpie, maybe an odd one, as they were vermin and treated as such. There were always tons of sparrows/martins/swallows/robins/wrens etc. Now magpies are protected they're taking over. I have them scrapping with sea gulls on my roof in the early hours, you wouldn't believe the racket they make.

It’s not just magpies and jackdaws that are protected all wild birds including their nests and eggs are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 in England. Licences can be applied for to kill or take away any wildlife if certain criteria are met.

Just like man has contributed to the falling numbers of hedgehogs man has contributed to the increase of the population of the magpie. More cars on the roads results in more wildlife casualties. Nothing better than a dead fox or badger for a magpie to feast on, they are scavengers by nature .
Maybe we should give up our cars….I doubt that will happen.
I have got magpies in my garden and I agree they are bullies chasing off the smaller birds at feeding time but it’s all down to the pecking order and there is no bird more intelligent than the magpie.

I shoot magpies,crows,Rooks and jackdaws,around the barn on site as well as rats,mice,they play havoc with the grain thats stored there contaminating it which is a loss to the farmer resulting in higher cost for winter feed for the sheep that need to be well fed during the lambing season,the farmer is always grateful for a rabbit or two as well.

Magpies migrated to southern france up until the early 70's but they seem to stay here now like most migrants

Rog

• Upvote 1

Errrrm ........are you thinking of Mynah birds Loppy? We had one when I was a kid. Ended up giving it away to a friend with an aviary as it seemed so cruel to keep the poor bird in a cage.

Magpies are a menace. The biggest problem is they destroy other birds eggs. When we lived in a rural area we borrowed a Larsen Trap from a friend. All his friends borrowed it for a few weeks at a time but it hardly kept the Magpie population down.

• Upvote 1

I see many magpies around, but I normally don't mind. However, when they start cackling and threatening other birds, I go outside and disturb them. Luckily, I've got two fairly long privet hedges, lots of small garden trees of all descriptions, Montana,cotoneaster bushes etc, so there is always plenty of covering. We've had sparrows, blackbirds and various tits breed over the years, so I must be doing something right.

They're bringing in a by-law in Cardiff very soon banning people from feeding the birds especially the flying rats. There will also be a campaign to make sure folks wrap unused food properly so that birds can't get at it when you throw it out.

Folk disposing of unwanted food correctly ........ No way, anywhere will do.

• Upvote 1

It's the one thing that REALLY screws my head up.

• Upvote 1