Tom Graveney

Another sad loss to cricket. RIP

Saw him playing for England v Pakistan, Trent Bridge 1962. Got his and other England players autographs!! I spent a lot of time when I was a youngster at Trent Bridge with my Dad. RIP Tom

I only saw cricket at Trent Bridge once. It's amazing what you remember. Dad sent me down to Marsden's on Andover for a packet of Arrowroot Biscuits. Then off we went. To be honest I was bored ****less for most of the day. I couldn't really see the play and wouldn't have understood if I could.

I recall Peter May played. Think it was Notts v Surrey. Can't remember the year, but I'm pretty certain it was pre 1960.

But what I also recall is names. Denis Compton, Tom Graveney, Bedser, Shepperd, Cowdray, Illingworth. Thing is I really wasn't interested.. but certain unusual names appealed to my love of words. Dad was a miner and in Summer on days off, or after an 'early' shift, would grab a few pints at the pub before falling asleep to the Cricket on the telly in the afternoon.

Col

• Like 1