Grimston, Wordsworth, Glentworth Rd area in Radford

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The year had to be 1957,me mam had bought me some new shoes,you know the type,black leather with shiny leather toe caps,lace ups with rubber soles,I'm sure all the men have had a pair,anyroadup there

Now reading this post and especially Wordsworth road jogged my memory,this was another chapter in my life albeit a small one,about 1957/58 for some reason we left Bathley st the Meadows and headed for

I gave you a like Rog not because I like what happened to you. It's because I like reading your post.

Looking at various maps and other sources I'd agree they were built at that time. If you wanted to pin it down in greater detail I guess you'd have to do something like find the Title Deeds to a house on one of those roads.

Not scientific but first mention in news archives is for 1910 for Glentworth Rd . The other two don't get a mention until 1912 .

I'm not worried about within a year or two, just an about date is fine. It came up in conversation yesterday. I was born on Grimston Road and my wife moved to Glentworth about 1959. I mentioned that when my parents moved into Grimston in about 1953 there were still the remnants of gas lighting points visible on the walls, although long disconnected. She didn't beleive they were that old. I remember the guy who lived next door to me, Mr Mayfield, telling me when he moved in Churchfield Lane was little more than a track with nothing but fields and farms along side right out to Aspley and beyond. Some of the old women I used to run errands for still had the kitchen range in the 'middle' room.

• 9 months later...

My great aunt Rose (nee Saunt) lived on Glentworth Road after the Great War. She had previously lived at number 5 Hazelwood Road around 1905 and by 1913 was living at 520 Berridge Road. Her first husband was Harry Bradley, a letter carrier, who was killed in the war. She later married George M Bowles, who worked as a bricklayer, and moved to Glentworth Road.

Rose and George were next door neighbours in 1911, when their respective first spouses were alive. They lived at 94 and 92 Hazelwood Road, respectively.

I've mentioned it on other threads somewhere, but my grandparents lived on Grimston Road, so I walked up and down there many times in the 1960s. My main memory of it was going in Wealthall's greengrocers at the corner of Radford Boulevard; and getting sweets / ice-cream from the grocery shop at the top corner.

#11 and 12

Small world, Catfan. I think I read you also,lived in Birkin Avenue at some point. My great grandparents, William and Lucy Saunt lived at 120 Birkin Avenue, long before my time.

Cliff Ton, I also remember Harold Wealthall and his wife. Always got our Colwick cheese from there and veg and fruit. He was never without his brown bowler hat...nor his sarcasm!

• Upvote 1

I had a Great Uncle who lived on Glentworth Road probably until around 1979/80 when he would have died. He would have lived on Glentworth for a very long time. He was Albert Smedley. I have no idea what number Glentworth he lived at but say half way up Glentworth on left hand side with Radford Blvd. behind you.

Looking at Google maps it has just reminded me that when my father was in the motor trade he had a customer who lived on Grimston Road. Unfortunately I do not know his name now but he worked at Ashwells and had an Ambassador Blue Ford Classic reg. 5043 WF. He probably died around 1970/72 as I remember that my father was asked to dispose of the car.

There endeth todays load of useless information!

I remember Jack the cobbler who had his shop on the corner of one of these streets at its junction with Churchfield Lane. He was there for years and was a friend of my father's. I cannot recall Jack's surname but I remember the Cherry Blossom boot polish advertisement outside his shop which portrayed a cute kitten sitting in a boot!

He repaired all my family's shoes.

• Upvote 1
On 11 August 2016 at 10:58 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

I remember Jack the cobbler who had his shop on the corner of one of these streets at its junction with Churchfield Lane. He was there for years and was a friend of my father's. I cannot recall Jack's surname but I remember the Cherry Blossom boot polish advertisement outside his shop which portrayed a cute kitten sitting in a boot!

He repaired all my family's shoes.

Jill Sparrow. The cobbler was Mr Mills who was on the corner of Wordsworth Road with Churchfield. I lived very near to him at the top of Grimston Road so we were back to back. We didn't take our shoes there as my parents thought he was too expensive.

Pianoman. My wife recalls a Mrs Smedley. She lived on Glentworth from 1959-74. Just recalls the name that's all.

• 4 months later...
On 11 August 2016 at 9:50 AM, catfan said:

Well bogger me, many moons ago I live at 98 Hazlewood Road !

What year(s) did you live here caftan. I ask as my grandmother lived at 104 from 1916 until she was too old to cope on her own in the early 1960's. My father lived there too until he married in 1947.

Now reading this post and especially Wordsworth road jogged my memory,this was another chapter in my life albeit a small one,about 1957/58 for some reason we left Bathley st the Meadows and headed for Wordsworth road I would be about 6 years old then,the place was a two bedroom,small bathroom,living room (front room) and kitchen diner affair,no front garden and just a small patch of soil and blue brick yard round the back,outside toilet that had the biggest spiders in the world,(David Attenborough would have stepped back looking at them buggers) anyroad,two bedrooms as I said,there was mam and dad,me and my sister,where was she going to sleep,doh stupid me,she was having the bedroom,me on the other hand was sleeping in the bathroom on a piece of hardboard fashioned by me dad that fitted on the bath top and a thin matress on top of that,needless to say each morning I ended up in the bath (no water),the improvised hardboard bed had collapsed as you would expect,my dad was working at Wollaton pit so it might have been a bit closer to work than living down the Meadows,I don't know.

One funny part of my living in Radford was walking to the river near Radford pit and I got talking to some of the gardeners on the allotments near the pit,one of the gardeners gave me a tomato,probably one of the biggest I had ever seen,when I got home with my prize I thought I would present it to me mam to sweeten her up a bit because I was a bit blackened from playing on the slag heaps plus I was late home as we should have been going out,when I did get home I went up the entry round the back to access our little bit of paradise to find me mam waiting with a stick ready to lay into me,I ran towards the house narrowly missing  the stick that was heading my way,thinking I was on a roll I threw the tomato at me mam shouting,"here's your bleddy tomato"it smashed on the wall behind me mam just missing her head,  I quickly ran in the house only to be caught and given a good old fashioned thrashing,I never did go back to the pit to play,

If I can think of any more of my existance down Radford I will post on here

Rog

• Upvote 4

The year had to be 1957,me mam had bought me some new shoes,you know the type,black leather with shiny leather toe caps,lace ups with rubber soles,I'm sure all the men have had a pair,anyroadup there was this young girl that I fancied who lived on Newquay avenue just off Churchfield lane near the bottom where it joins Alfreton road,well a young gun like me had to impress this little starlett so I pestered me mam to let me wear my new shoes and after a few tears and being a right little toad she gave in,so I'd got the footwear now I needed to really look cool so out came my cowboy wastecoat complete with white fringing and a sheriffs badge on the left just like john Wayne had his,my double holster which was made from red and white leather with little white leather stars stitched to the fronts,now for me guns,two shiny Lone Star six shooters fully loaded up with a magazine full of "caps",dint have a horse so a boys gotta do what a boys gotta do and I got on me trusty Raleigh Winkie,a three wheeled bike with pump up tyres and a"bread box" fastened to the back (the boys will know what I mean),off I went looking a right pratt if I'm honest but back in the day a real dude,dint wear a cowboy hat because I dint want to spoil me hair! there I am riding down Churchfield lane like my ar$e was on fire,there she was playing in her front garden when,,,,my right foot slipped of the pedal and went underneath the back axle nearly breaking my ankle,could'nt stop the tricycle because I could'nt reach the brake with me only just hanging onto the handlebars,finally coming to rest near her front gate,there I am,fully suited and booted,crying in pain and me toes poking out from the toe cap on me new shoes,after limping home which seemed like miles you can imagine the pain that came from the ever present stick,never again did I try to impress anyone with my riding skills and now I keep my guns in a bag out of site.a 7 year old certainly learned a lesson that day.

Rog

• Upvote 6

Never found out her name Jill,she was someone I saw and thought,(well you know what 6 or 7 year old boys think),too embarassed after the Raleigh Winkie stunt riding performance,and don't forget how could I impress anyone in the future with me toes poking out of me toe cap

Rog

• Upvote 1

There was a lad who lived at the bottom of Grundy Street who was in my class at Berridge. He used to follow me home after school and was a damned nuisance. On one occasion, I went round the back of the house and still he followed me. I picked up my mother's long-handled broom and hit him over the head with it! Cured him! He and his family later moved to Highbury Vale. His name was Richard Sewell and we'd be around 7 at the time.

He had warts on his knees! Not my type of chap at all!  

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Grimston, Wordsworth, Glentworth Rd area in Radford