Grimston, Wordsworth, Glentworth Rd area in Radford

At about that age Jill I had similar problem with a Girl...............in the end I gave in and kissed her in the Bushes up the cul-de-sac..............lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The year had to be 1957,me mam had bought me some new shoes,you know the type,black leather with shiny leather toe caps,lace ups with rubber soles,I'm sure all the men have had a pair,anyroadup there

Now reading this post and especially Wordsworth road jogged my memory,this was another chapter in my life albeit a small one,about 1957/58 for some reason we left Bathley st the Meadows and headed for

I gave you a like Rog not because I like what happened to you. It's because I like reading your post.

There was another little lad at Berridge Infants who regularly told my mother he was going to marry me! She smiled at him indulgently. I scowled at him in the certain knowledge that I would never marry anyone and certainly not him!

My former Berridge classmate, Pidge Pie who hasn't posted on Nottstalgia for ages, told me he'd seen this individual many years later on a tv programme entitled Banged Up Abroad. Something to do with drugs, apparently.

Had a lucky escape there, methinks!  :blink:

• Upvote 1

I remember the street having a bonfire actually in the road,I think we took it in turns with other roads in the area each year but not sure,we were only there for maybe two years,during the time leading up to bonfire night we had a guy and used to try and collect penneys from passers by,I seem to recall there was a shop at the end of Wordsworth road/Churchfield lane but not sure about that either,anyroadup this year a couple of the bigger kids dressed me up as a guy and put me in a push chair and left me at the side of this shop doorway,every time someone went to or came out of the shop it was my job to sit as quiet as possible and only taking shallow breaths so as not to alert the potential money giver,this was hard work for a small kid,I think I was only 6 years old,at the end of my stint as a guy we made the princely sum of sixpence I think,don't matter how much we made because the bigger kids buggered off without paying me,(lesson learned there) I also remember about that time walking down to the forest with me dad and sister to play on the slope,running up and down like some sort of loony,kicking the fallen leaves about after we collected them in a big pile, then running home for dinner,Oh the simple pleasures in life eh?

Can anyone remember the concrete circle on the corner of Churchfield road and Alfreton road?it would be about a yard in diameter (a yard eh,who uses them these days?) in the middle was a metal pole from what I remember about 2 - 2 1/2 feet high,it looked like lead or gun metal,don't matter,anyroadup we were always told to keep off the concrete circle because it was a land mine left over from the war,we never went near it,gullible wont we?

Another thing just come to me,At school "Berridge road" we were rehersing for the classroom Christmas play/nativity or whatever,we all took stuff in to wear,I took a bloody tea towel too wrap round me head,I suppose I looked like an Arab or sommat,one kid took his dads rifle in,cant remember what sort air rifle or proper 303,I was handling this gun as boys do when I pulled the trigger,it went with an almight bang (or it seemed that way to me) frightened the life out of me and the teacher who was none too pleased,she took the gun off the kid until it was home time,don't know what a gun had to do with a nativity play unless the kid was supposed to have been a soldier,who knows,funny some of the things come to mind when your rambling intit

Rog

• Upvote 2

I don't remember the concrete circle Rog, but at the same junction on the shops side was a grassy triangular area with a bench facing the Alfreton Rd / Bobbers Mill Rd junction. My dad used to scout the area on a Friday and Saturday night after the chippy had closed, and retrieve the salt shakers, vinegar bottles, and on more than one occasion, the clock that stood on the counter. 

Cheeky bu66ers from Aspley no doubt !

• Upvote 2

Ah, FLY, the bench with the triangle of chains round it brings back memories of my grandfather, Louis Saunt, born 1883, who often sat there chatting with other elderly gents he knew. My mother said they'd be talking about WW1.  As a very young child when she took me with her to the shops, he was often sitting there engrossed in conversation with Mr Newstead or Mr Ranby or another old soldier who had been through the horrors of war. I used to refer to it as 'grandad's bench'. I don't remember the concrete circle though.

• Upvote 1

It might have been within the grass confines,not sure if it could have been some sort of gun mount left over from the war,maybe anti aircraft or sommat,it would be about 2 1/2- 3 inch diameter and a sort of lead colour if that makes any sense

Rog

There wasn't a horse trough or drinking fountain in that area was there? just thinking about it it could have been a water pipe leading to something like that,but to us youngsters it was a land mine,I'm sure that super sleuth Cliff Ton might be along soon with one of his pictures (I hope)

Rog

I can't recall anything like that, Rog. I think CT has previously commented that there seem to be very few photos of this area from that period of time, which is a shame because, like you, I'd love to see some!

• Upvote 1

Right, I have been trawling the sites and come up with these pictures from a site called "Pillbox Study Group" it's the closest to what I remember but without the concrete shroud,perhaps that was removed after the war,well it's called a "Spigot Mortar" base and they were provided to the home guard from 1941 onwards,trouble was they had to be loaded from the front in full view of the advancing enemy and fired at a range of 100 yards (pretty risky I would have thought)

hooksmb-300x225_zpstizmkbwb.jpg

Spigot-Mortar-Emplacement_zpsc6ku3hq5.jp

large-300x300_zpshsptvglk.jpg

every time I have gone passed there either on the bus or in my car I can still visualise the thing sticking out of the ground,I hope what I have found today is right if not I will have a lot more research to do

Rog

• Upvote 1

My mum who was born in 1926 at Bobbers Mill, lived there through the early years of the war and beyond. I don't recall her mentioning anything of this type in the spot you've identified, Rog. I do know there was an air raid shelter to the side of the Capitol Cinema. Mum's memory was razor sharp and I'm sure she would have mentioned anything like that.

Maybe someone else can help, although anyone likely to remember what was going on there during the war years is now probably unavailable!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jill,it's just one of those things from the past that get you wondering,I know there were somethings called the Beechdale guns I I think Bofours Guns) in the second world war that were set up believe it or not in the Beechdale area and Bobbers mill is not too far away,However I could be completely wrong of course

Rog

The Bofors anti-aircraft gun in Beechdale was located at what has now become Foxton Gardens a retirement complex.

When it was decommissioned at the end of WWII the site and associated brick building and huts became my first school Beechdale Primary School. Nearly all the under 11 kids from the surrounding prefabs went there until it closed in 1961

CliffTon posted an aerial view of the old school a while back

• Upvote 1

So that road junction could have been a possible site,looking at the pictures the metal part look exactly how I remember,but with the concrete removed,silly the things that come to mind when you start digging through the memory cells

Rog

#40. For years after the war ended there was one of them on the triangle of ground opposite Rock House, Basford.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...
32 minutes ago, Benni said:

Wordsworth Rd... does anyone remember Parish? Lived just up Wordsworth a bit from Gregory Blvd, on the left. 17

My friend lived a few doors up from Michael Jackson. His sister was named Janet Jackson (midwife at City hospital). Their Mum was Jean. Tom and Nancy Parish lived a few doors up. What a small world. My friend knows David Prosser too.

10 hours ago, Benni said:

does anyone remember Dorraine Parish? Lived just up Wordsworth a bit from Gregory Blvd, on the left. 

Yes, I knew Dorraine Parish. Older than myself,  I think she was a friend of Jean Pollard, Su Pollard's younger sister. They lived in Prospect Terrace...houses demolished decades ago.

Are you ex Berridge, Benni? Welcome to Nottstalgia by the way. Look forward to reading about your memories of the area.

I think we lived about 3 or4 houses up the road from Michael Jackson,I remember his family moving in,I must have been about 6 years old so it would have been around 1958/9

Rog

A small addendum to the spigot mortar thing. I googled it and the images showed a low concrete dome about a yard'n'half across with a stainless steel spigot on top. There was one of these on the triangle of grass and bushes at Wilkinson st and Nuthall rd. I slipped off it in 1954 and gashed me knee open.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Benni said:

Wordsworth Rd... does anyone remember Parish? Lived just up Wordsworth a bit from Gregory Blvd, on the left. 

My friend lived a few doors up from Michael Jackson. His sister was named Janet Jackson (midwife at City hospital). Their M7m was Jean. Tom and Nancy Parish lived a few doors up. What a small world. My friend knows David Prosser too.

to Jill Sparrow, not sure if i have replied right as still not sure how this site works, but yes, i was a Berridge girl.  Your name is familiar, but just cannot place the face. Jean Pollard was also a good friend. Sue was older and is still an actress. I used to take acting classes with Jean, but acting was not my thing.  thanks for the welcome. 

• Upvote 1

Jill Sparrow. Do you remember the head master at Berridge? I think his name was Mr Bulluck. He used to call Jean and myself in to his office all the time. Have us sit on his knee and stroke our legs. Him being the Head Master, I was always afraid to go in to his office. As a kid, you knew this wasn’t right, but never questioned authority. I was glad to leave Berridge. I never told my Mum. 

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Yes, I knew Dorraine Parish. Older than myself,  I think she was a friend of Jean Pollard, Su Pollard's younger sister. They lived in Prospect Terrace...houses demolished decades ago.

Are you ex Berridge, Benni? Welcome to Nottstalgia by the way. Look forward to reading about your memories of the area.

Yes, ex Berridge. I have been replying but think i replied in the wrong place. So please bear with me until i get to know my way around and how the group functions. Please look below at my replies if you can find them. Thanks for the Welcome 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, plantfit said:

I think we lived about 3 or4 houses up the road from Michael Jackson,I remember his family moving in,I must have been about 6 years old so it would have been around 1958/9

Rog

My friend Parish more than likely knows you. I am trying to get her to join this site. We are both VERY CAUTIOUS as to how much detail we put on the internet. 

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Grimston, Wordsworth, Glentworth Rd area in Radford