Grimston, Wordsworth, Glentworth Rd area in Radford

The headmaster at Berridge Juniors during my time was John William Baugh. His years as head were 1961 to 1978. His predecessor was Mr Griffiths 1956 to 61. I remember Jack Baugh very well and liked him. I suppose I was a favourite of his but there was none of the disturbing behaviour you mention. If there had been, I wouldn't have hesitated to report it. I spent many a break time in his office, reading or discussing poetry or history but I never felt at all uncomfortable and there was no physical contact.

The only teacher there who did make me feel uncomfortable was Mr Anderson and there are comments posted on the Berridge thread about him!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The year had to be 1957,me mam had bought me some new shoes,you know the type,black leather with shiny leather toe caps,lace ups with rubber soles,I'm sure all the men have had a pair,anyroadup there

Now reading this post and especially Wordsworth road jogged my memory,this was another chapter in my life albeit a small one,about 1957/58 for some reason we left Bathley st the Meadows and headed for

I gave you a like Rog not because I like what happened to you. It's because I like reading your post.

If you were a contemporary of Jean Pollard, Beni, do you also remember Margaret Beardsall who lived on Bobbers Mill Road, born October 1955? There was also Sharon Breedon of Churchfield Lane and a Sharon Devan (not sure the spelling of the surname is correct). All were roughly the same age and would fall within the September 1955 to August 1956 period of birth.

4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

The headmaster at Berridge Juniors during my time was John William Baugh. His years as head were 1961 to 1978. His predecessor was Mr Griffiths 1956 to 61. I remember Jack Baugh very well and liked him. I suppose I was a favourite of his but there was none of the disturbing behaviour you mention. If there had been, I wouldn't have hesitated to report it. I spent many a break time in his office, reading or discussing poetry or history but I never felt at all uncomfortable and there was no physical contact.

The only teacher there who did make me feel uncomfortable was Mr Anderson and there are comments posted on the Berridge thread about him!

Yessssss, it was Mr Baugh that I was scared of. I dont know where i got that other name from. Jill, your name is very familiar. Now Mr Anderson, his name rings a loud bell. I will have to read about him, it might bring memories back. 

Margaret Beardsal rings a bell. The others vaguely. I had a few friends on Bobbers Mill Rd and another friend who lived down a steep road off Bobbers Mill. Cannot remember the names of the the friends or the streets that ran off Bobbers Mill Rd. Is St Stephens Church still there? 

Geeez.... Right Jill.  Mr Baugh was the headmaster who i was talking about. Now trying to figure if Mr Bulluck was at Berridge or Peveril?  Getting my teachers and schools mixed up. I guess growing up, i never thought of remembering school days, and that i would be talking about them years later LOL

20 hours ago, Beni said:

My friend lived a few doors up from Michael Jackson. His sister was named Janet Jackson (midwife at City hospital). Their M7m was Jean. Tom and Nancy Parish lived a few doors up. What a small world. My friend knows David Prosser too.

to Jill Sparrow, not sure if i have replied right as still not sure how this site works, but yes, i was a Berridge girl.  Your name is familiar, but just cannot place the face. Jean Pollard was also a good friend. Sue was older and is still an actress. I used to take acting classes with Jean, but acting was not my thing.  thanks for the welcome. 

Hello Beni. I was best mates with Mick Jackson for years, from being about 10. He married a girl he met through me, Jill Island who was the year below me at Forest Fields. They were both mad on parrots and despite living in a 2 up 2 down had over a hundred (137 including the love birds) at one point plus several dogs. Sadly Jill died from a chest infection caught from one of the birds. I knew Dorrain Parrish quite well too. I believe Tom is still alive living Newark way although he'll be getting on now. Nancy died many years ago. Tom was quite a character, life and soul. You make mention of Dave Prossor. I knew Dave very well both as kids and later. He was an only child and spoiled rotten and got bullied for it. Bill his dad was an ambulance driver and a lovely man. Used to take us out to Burton Joyce on the train fishing. Dave joined the Police as did I. Sorry to tell you but David crashed his car and died. No one else involved. Broke his mums heart. I knocked around with Mick Jackson on and off for years but from being about 10 to 16 ish we were inseparable. Mick didn't like going to work being allergic to it aka bone idle, so would go cycling with me when I was off as I worked odd shifts. Eventually we drifted apart a long time ago and I've not seen much of him in years although I know he's is still in the same house will a 'pack' of dogs. Can't seem to have 1 or 2 pets, has to have a dozen +. Margaret Beardsall is mentioned in these posts. I know the name and can see her face now. I assume she was at Berridge and maybe Forest Fields? Perhaps you can help Jill.

• Like 1

Mr Cooke was the deputy head at Berridge but left around 1966. If, as I suspect, you are slightly older than myself, you may not have known Mr Anderson who arrived, with his wife, around 1968. They were Scots.

St Stephen's is still there, albeit in much altered surroundings and the only steepish road I can think of would be Darley Avenue....see the excellent recent Bobbers Mill Road area thread for more information. The 'Were you at Berridge' thread is also stuffed with information and photos. Should be of interest to you.

Other Berridge staff you may recall: Alan Parr, Miss MacDonald who became Mrs Parr, Trevor Williams, Gerald Chandler, Mr Kemp, Miss Bartlett, Mrs Price, Mrs Robinson. All junior department staff. If you went through the infants, you'll remember the two Miss Smiths. One taught the top infant class and the other was the headmistress.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

Margaret Beardsall is mentioned in these posts. I know the name and can see her face now. I assume she was at Berridge and maybe Forest Fields? 

Yes, David. Margaret was both a Berridge and Forest Fields pupil. Mad on horses! Lived at 178 Bobbers Mill Road.

• Like 1

Geeez.... Right Jill.  Mr Baugh was the headmaster who i was talking about. Now trying to figure if Mr Bulluck was at Berridge or Peveril?  Getting my teachers and schools mixed up. I guess growing up, i never thought of remembering school days, and that i would be talking about them years later LOL

To LETSAVAGO. Wow, what a memory you have. Thanks for that info. Bless you. 

Jill Sparrow, I remember, Mr Kemp, Miss Bartlett, Mrs Price, Mrs Robinson and the two Miss Smiths. I will never forget Mr Baugh. I am so frustrated because i want to reply to postings but not sure if i am doing it right. I just discovered i have to tap the heart twice to show i have read and like the post. 

• Upvote 1

Most of us are still trying to get our heads round the hearts and arrows, Beni! Well, I am. We're not all techno whizzes like Benjamin1945! ;)

Mr Kemp never taught me but I hear he was a holy terror with his sellotaped together rulers!

Let's hear a few names of classmates you recall. I might recognise them.

Do you remember Miss Stockhill?

• Like 2
On 9/26/2017 at 1:07 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Most of us are still trying to get our heads round the hearts and arrows, Beni! Well, I am. We're not all techno whizzes like Benjamin1945! ;)

Mr Kemp never taught me but I hear he was a holy terror with his sellotaped together rulers!

Let's hear a few names of classmates you recall. I might recognise them.

Do you remember Miss Stockhill?

Jill, i think i remember you. Was this your name as a kid? Sparrow sounds familiar. YES, I remember Mrs Stockhill. I remember Mr Kemp as strict, but i always got on well with strict teachers. I guess that was my respect for authority. I would have to get my books out for names. Janet Hemmingborough (something like that) was a good friend, Denise Casterton (now Smith), lived off Bobbersmill Rd, on a long road that went up towards Birkin Ave. Hmmmm may be Denise did live on Bobbersmill Rd come to think of it. Diane Richmond (sadly died last year. Her husband was torn), Jean Pollard, (her sister told me she had some mental issues so they have not talked in a long time). Shame as I always got along with Jean as a kid. Dorraine definately KNOWS David Priestly. Come to think of it, I think I know him too come to think of it. THE JOKE WAS, DAVID was the Priest, Dorraine was the Parish LOL then there was Linda Thomas lived on Gregory Blvd near Birkin Ave and Mary Bingley lived on Gregory Blvd. Terry Hill got killed young falling off a construction site escalator. I remember Jean Hawley too. She lived behind the area of players. 

• Upvote 1

My name has always been the same, Beni. As you were friends with Jean, you may have known my sister, Julie Sparrow who was Su Pollard's best friend. They are still in touch. Went to Peveril together and The Cooperative Arts Theatre.

Sad to hear about Jean. She had to live in the larger than life shadow of her elder sister.Terry Hill has been mentioned several times on the Berridge thread.

• Like 1
On 9/26/2017 at 1:31 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Mr Cooke was the deputy head at Berridge but left around 1966. If, as I suspect, you are slightly older than myself, you may not have known Mr Anderson who arrived, with his wife, around 1968. They were Scots.

St Stephen's is still there, albeit in much altered surroundings and the only steepish road I can think of would be Darley Avenue....see the excellent recent Bobbers Mill Road area thread for more information. The 'Were you at Berridge' thread is also stuffed with information and photos. Should be of interest to you.

Other Berridge staff you may recall: Alan Parr, Miss MacDonald who became Mrs Parr, Trevor Williams, Gerald Chandler, Mr Kemp, Miss Bartlett, Mrs Price, Mrs Robinson. All junior department staff. If you went through the infants, you'll remember the two Miss Smiths. One taught the top infant class and the other was the headmistress.

Am i replying in the right place? Anyway, I think you are my age Jill and Jill sounds more familiar than Julie. I tried to find the Berridge thread, but keep ending up here LOL and yes, sad about Jean. I remember we used to go to Hockley every week for acting lessons, but i never took to acting. Jean was pretty good though, but i think back then, Su did not want Jean to succeed in acting as Su did not want the limelight taken away from her. Jean obsessed over that. I was actually shocked, as back then, i always THOUGHT that families helped each other succeed. I am an only child so i never had a sibling to compete with. 

Jean, as I remember her around 1968, was going through the ugly duckling stage. Overweight, no confidence and overshadowed by Su. Don and Hilda Pollard were quiet, unassuming people who liked nothing better than to scuttle off to their caravan on the east coast at weekends. I think they didn't quite know how to cope with Su. Su was very talented and determined that she wasn't going to repeat what she saw as the hum drum life of her parents. To her credit, she gave it her best shot.

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, RadFordee said:

can anyone who lived in the area confirm that one of the streets near wallan st had a factory with a high walkway from one side of the street to the other? I have been on google maps but am guessing it's long gone now.

Could it be this ?  Going across Player Street at the Radford Blvd end. The building on the right was Player's offices. Now the whole thing is student accommodation.

https://goo.gl/maps/Yr88JtxD9wjT5BZ96

Thank's ct i think it is, i did try player st on google maps but didn't go that far along as i had in my mind it was more at the alfreton road end of the street it was on, it was over 50 years ago though so thats my excuse:rolleyes:.

@RadFordee to add to CTs post, I can confirm that there was a bridge across the street, because when I were 'on the buses', one of the duties had a contract bus which used to park under there to pick up Players staff, to take them home to lunch and then bring them back for the afternoon. The route was Player Street, down to Alfreton Road, turn left to Bobbers Mill Bridge, turn left on Aspley Lane, up to Strelley Road then turn right on Bradfield Road terminating at the top at Denton Green. Turn round and park up ready for the return journey. At the time I was a conductor and my wife to be used to catch the bus to go home for lunch and I used to pay her fares. When I started driving, she paid her fares then, as I was in the cab.

Summat I've just remembered. No.1, Player Street was our Doctors surgery from when I were a nipper until they moved to Mary Potter Health centre, Gregory boulevard. Stayed with them till I married then transferred to Bailey Street surgery.

Screenshot-20220817-191902-Maps.jpg

Spent many hours in that front room, waiting in a queue.

29 minutes ago, Beekay said:

one of the duties had a contract bus which used to park under there to pick up Players staff, to take them home to lunch and then bring them back for the afternoon. 

Amazingly, despite all the changes, one of 'bus stops' for that service has survived on the wall.

https://goo.gl/maps/9Wng7FcUHgeHTMAx5

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Grimston, Wordsworth, Glentworth Rd area in Radford