The Junco Partners

Does anyone remember a band called the Junco Partners ? I went to school with Mick Dale, the guitarist, the drummer was I believe Richard Williams , this band was my introduction to "the blues band" I saw them at the Duneon Club and a couple of other places, loved em' the real thing at last I thought and still do.

• Upvote 1

I knew Richard Williams well, and he did drum for a local Junco Partners. He was a budding journalist with the NEP I believe. He lived at Burton Joyce, and later progressed to tv presenting. Maybe early Old Grey Whistle Test.

Sorry Dave, I posted before I read it.

Not to worry Fly2, the bass player was a guy called Ray from Long Eaton, he apparently made some of the bands speaker cabinets, this sounds like a bass player I played with much later in a rockabilly band called the Bop Cats and he was also called Ray, came from Long Eaton and built the bands PA cabinets - same guy ?

• Upvote 1

I remember Richard Williams too . All my pals were from Burton Joyce in the 60s and they knew him . We would often see him in the L Shape Room cafe after leaving the clubs .

His father was the local vicar I think. We had some good parties at his house.

One night we played 'You Keep Me Hanging On' by Vanilla Fudge virtually all night. I bet the neighbours loved that !

I knew Richard Williams well, and he did drum for a local Junco Partners. He was a budding journalist with the NEP I believe. He lived at Burton Joyce, and later progressed to tv presenting. Maybe early Old Grey Whistle Test.

The Richard Williams who presented early Whistle Test (I remember seeing him on there) was apparently born in Sheffield, and went on to become a prolific writer and journalist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Williams_(journalist)

It's the same Richard Williams , born in Sheffield but moved to Burton Joyce .

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I was just watching a programme I'd recorded from BBC4 on Friday night called 'Girls in Bands'. There was a piece on Vinegar Joe featuring Elkie Brookes, and the Great Robert Palmer. Low and behold, there was Richard Williams on drums. 

This must have been between 71 and 74, as Vinegar Joe only lasted three years or so. I assume that this footage is from The Old Grey Whistle Test, which Richard presented at the time.

• 6 months later...