Black Hand Gang

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're a member of a "gang" here Robbie !

Been up to no good   

I really do envy you lot for being part of a gang as kids. Unfortunately I never had that luxury, by the time I was eleven I had already lived on three council estates, Bilborough, Clifton and Bestwoo

Your lot wouldn't have stood a chance against our lot; The Chard Street Kerbstone Bumpers. We were the kings in our area. Some of our youths even wore long trousers and some of us had big brothers. We were very brave, we would even talk tuff about the Palm Street Gang but I don't think we ever had any major battles. Our biggest fear were the girls and their big sisters.

• Upvote 5
  • 2 months later...

Did any of you have nicknames when you were teenagers. I know SueB48, my sister and I had one. I think my sisters was Tiger; because she was a bit of a Tomboy. Mine was Daz; probably because I always had a dirty neck? I dint like water at thirteen? Come on Sue, remind me; "What was yours"?

When I started going out with my Hubbs to be, all his mates called him Percy; after we had been courting for about 6months, I discovered his name was really Chris? What's that all about? At least mine was because of my tide marks. I bet some of you had a nickname. Clean ones only please. OH, go on then!

• Upvote 2

Carni,if you were Daz,Chris was Persil..not Percy? LOL!!

Only kidding me duck!!..mine was Dr.Daws. Or Doc,can only think that at matches I always helped with the first aid kit ( teacher was always at the medicinal brandy!)

When I worked at the EMEB my nickname was Road Runner. All came about from pulling up at lights on Derby road next to one of the other guys. When the light turned green I floored it and burned rubber to get in front. Later when I got back to the shop as I walked in there was a shout of Beep - Beep! I remember moaning about it one day to one of the other guys. His reply was wise. He said, don't mind a nickname. It shows that you are accepted. I never forgot that.

Funnily enough my car has an alarm on it today. When I press the button to unlock it it goes Beep Beep. Makes me smile.

• Upvote 4

When I was a nurse in Leicester, some of us used to go to the Palais there. One evening, I decided I was going to be a French girl called Yvette (don't know where the name came from) to see how many boys I could fool. It worked really well as I only spoke a little English with a French accent. The story was that I was staying with one of the other girls I was with. One of the girls even went to the band and said it was my birthday, so they played Happy Birthday to Yvette (It wasn't my birthday) Eventually it became too much bother keeping up with the pretence so I became Margie again - and still had several boys who wanted to dance with me!

• Upvote 2

OK carni it was TADDY something to do with TADDY ALES, I know silly isn't it.

I remember we embroidered the name on the back of the baggy jumpers we wore with the tight jeans.

We would sew the jeans on our legs to get them as tight as possible.

• Upvote 1

Ah Taddy, I do remember sewing our names on the jumpers. and sewing our jeans up the side, before stretch jeans were invented. I slept in mine sometimes because I couldn't get them off, and the skirts were so tight we had to hop up steps, especially onto the bus or the steps on the Waltzers at the fair down Netherfield?

I remember laying in the bath in my jeans, because people said it would shrink them tight? I wasn't impressed and stuck to sewing them on. :)

• Upvote 4

Boys..... Men are always boys so I'm told. LOL

• Upvote 1

1950s/60s all-girl boot blacking gangs of the Meadows; girls that used to single out a male and black his naughty bits with boot polish - real or myth?