Black Hand Gang

I'm feeling all nostalgic and gooey this morning. Umteen cups of tea; no biscuits YET! I'm thinking back to my childhood in Gedling, some where between the age of 5 and 9ish we formed a gang (as you do)my sis, and me, Sueb48, might have been another member called Sandra Parry, not sure?

Probably let my brother join, but i'm not sure about that either ( Cos that's how we were, probably just gels)Our Special gang was called "The Black Hand Gang". We had membership cards with our hand print on (hand probably dipped in a muddy puddle to get the print) and also our names, so we must have been old enough to write!

We used to put shows on for our parents, and hold little jumble sales in the yard, build dens and just do general kid stuff. it was all special cos we were in the secret gang. Come on SueB48, can you remember?

Hubbs had a gang similar age to us; theirs was called "The Black Spot Gang"

Lovely memories to think back to. The innocence of childhood. Anyone else have their version of "The Black Hand Gang"

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're a member of a "gang" here Robbie !

Been up to no good   

I really do envy you lot for being part of a gang as kids. Unfortunately I never had that luxury, by the time I was eleven I had already lived on three council estates, Bilborough, Clifton and Bestwoo

I bet that's where we got our name from then. It was in the mid 50s. :biggrin:

The Gedling Mafia. Sounds scary. but I doubt if our little gang scared anyone but themselves. BOO. I bet we looked a proper lot of ragamuffin's after a day in the dust. :huh:

• Upvote 2

Won't go into a huge amount of details,but we called ourselves The Regals; Dawson's or Bamfords had thrown out a load of undertakers tailcoats- we wore those and traveled around in pram type wheelchairs we found in Hunto School. With claw hammers and pri- bars we peeled back streets of corrugated iron on condemned houses and sold,coronation tins,78's,lead, copper back boilers,fireplaces etc..loads to the bloke Chulla has mentioned on Arkwright st.St.Anne's,Union rd,Robin Hood st.all plundered by The Regals,...but always in by8 pm and a fish supper!!

I really do envy you lot for being part of a gang as kids. Unfortunately I never had that luxury, by the time I was eleven I had already lived on three council estates, Bilborough, Clifton and Bestwood Park. Each moved involved a new school often starting mid-term which meant new friendships had already been made and old ones maintained. I was always left on the outside or that’s how I felt. Always picked last for anything at school and sometimes left out totally.

When Carni writes about her and SueB48 what they got up to, or Firbeck and his bunch, and others on this site I realise just how much I have missed out during my youth. I’m not bitter just envious and l do enjoy reading what you lot did as youngsters and can only imagine what it would have been like for me.

It wasn’t until seniors, college and work that I eventually formed lasting group friendships. I now have a small circle of good reliable friends but what I would have given to have been a member of a gang.

• Upvote 5

OK carnie I've woken up now, and yes I do remember. What fun we used to have arguing who was going to have the best part in our latest production.

It was our mams I felt sorry for having to sit though them, they must have loved it ha ha! and don't forget my horrible brothers always trying to spoil our

fun. kickme

• Upvote 3

You're a member of a "gang" here Robbie !

Not like the proper old gangs though, is it ;)

Here you're in a gang where you've never met most of the other members, have no idea what many of them look like, and might run a mile if you met some of them in a confined space.

That's progress.

• Upvote 2

carni's post about doing shows for their parents reminded me of when my sons and foster kids used to put on shows for my wife and I.

My wife gave them what clothes they wanted and my eldest son would be in charge of the show. They'd mostly do it when I went abroad because they'd have a week to learn the songs and rehearse the show. They were great times for us and also for the foster kids who'd probably never had any fun in their lives before.

• Upvote 4

Our gang didn't have a name, but we used to terrorise Breckhill fields, the old brickyard and surrounds, some great memories from those days, we had air rifles, bows and arrows (real ones from Redmayne and todds) it's amazing non of us got seriously injured or shot !

And our "bomb making escapades" well say no more, the soil bank at the woodborough road end of the old brickyard was our testing ground, we used to dig a small tunnel, place our latest device in it, light the fuse and climb a s quickly as possible before the "bang"!

• Upvote 4

Our gang was called The Defenders after a sixties tv series, we liked the name. We didn't defend anyone though, more the opposite. We all had an id card with a badge in, mine was Roy Rodgers. One lad had a real Blue Peter one.

• Upvote 3

I remember on my 10th birthday, 2 of my friends and I did a little play we found in 'Enid Blyton's Book of the Year' for the rest of the children who were at my party. We had a bay window which had curtains across it for the stage. That was one of my favourite books as a child. It had a story, a poem, a play and some facts for each month. Did anyone else read this book - I think it was probably read more by girls, but you never know!! I still have it somewhere I think.

• Upvote 2

SCRAP................................. :rotfl:

Sometimes after school you would hear someone shout that word; and a circle would form around who ever was bashing each other up . Lots of cheering and eggin' on. Cruel really what kids do to each other!

• Upvote 2