Nottingham from above - City Ground

Moving around a bit from the city centre.

1933. That really is Nottingham Forest's City Ground in the top half of the photo. The various Boat clubs haven't changed much; the Town Arms is the tower in the lower right; the front part of Turney Bros factory is now apartments; and the number of small boats on the river is surprising. And for railway people, the old Melton Line is on the embankment at the very top of the photo. Lady Bay Bridge is just off to the left.

forest_2.jpg

Mount St http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14705

Wollaton http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14687

Parliament St http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14651

• Upvote 21

Thanks Cliff Ton. I remember touring Turney Brothers when I was at school in the late seventies, a short time before they closed. The one thing I will always remember is the smell! Also some of the processess involving preparing the pelts. There was one operation where a worker had to feed them through a machine to remove impurities by hand and noticing he had a finger missing from each hand. When we asked why the charge hand said it was normal that a worker would lose at least one finger.......no health and safety then!!!

Anyone know what the chapel-like building is to the left of the Globe?

If it's the one I think you're referring to, it's marked on several maps as a Baptist chapel. Seems to have been demolished some time in the 1950s.

arkwright_3.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the excellent series of photos. I can see the entrance to the Grantham Canal on the left near the Lady Bay bridge. The canal closed in 1936 so may have been active at the time of the photos? It's now undergoing restoration.

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/canal.php?wpage=GRNT&name=Grantham%20Canal

MB

• Upvote 2

The chapel seems to have been Arkwright Street Baptist. It was built around 1889, being largely funded from the sale of the old Stoney Street Baptist chapel, whose congregation (following a number of more or less acrimonious splits) decided to call it a day, and merge with the Woodborough Road Church, recently established in the new Watson Fothergill chapel at the junction of Alfred Street. There is a marriage register for Arkwright Street held in the archives, showing entries from 1889 to 1929. That does not, of course, mean that the chapel closed then - only, presumably, that 1929 was the last marriage that took place there. Indeed, Rev F G Parker of Arkwright Street moved to become minister of Charnwood Road Baptist church, Shepshed in 1932. I have a compilation of East Midlands Baptist Association handbooks, going back to 1938, by which time Arkwright Street was not listed.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Cliff Ton. What a great picture! I started watching the Forest in the late fifties and I cannot remember the kop being that high towards the east stand. Do any of the long time Forest fans know when it was changed or if it was before the mid seventies?

When we went by car to the match we parked near the Magpie, I was partial to a pint or two of Home Brewery 5 Star before walking across the Lady Bay bridge to the City Ground.

Glad you liked it, carni! I'm a latecomer to canal history so still learning but a recent trip up the Nene and into the Middle Levels has made me wish I'd got involved sooner.

Bye

MB

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton,
Until you started your Nottingham From Above thread I didn’t realise the Britain from Above website existed but then again I never heard of Picture the Past until you uploaded photographs of Nottingham. I am totally hooked on both sites and now wading through the Britain from Above site, although I doubt I will view the 15,000 photos taken between 1919 and 1953 butI will certainly have ago as both sites are very useful for my research.

I appreciate all your time and effort you have put into your thread, sourcing these brilliant photographs for all to enjoy. Your efforts have certainly saved me a lot of time so thank you and keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • 3 years later...