isitsafe I had a train set once...............it was blue with a big key stickin' out the side of the engine, but just went round and round and round and round..................... imsorry
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully a better picture of that ord survey map of bagthorpe junction etc

Hopefully Ashley, this is a better scan.

Rathole002-1.jpg

Should this section of the original topic really be in the Basford section?

Back on topic! Just been looking though past posts and someone mentioned going on the NSR from Victoria to Daybrook "just before line closure? (1951?) far as I know you could not get onto the NSR that way after May 8th 1941 when the line was bombed near Trent Lane? after that there was just the pick up goods back and forth to Thorneywood from Daybrook. Some good pictures here http://www.nottinghamrail.com/NSR.htm

Ashley, have you bought the book about the NSR by David Birch?

I got it today. It really is a great read and is well researched with many pictures that I've not seen before.

It is going to be a two volume book with the second volume dealing with the running and closure of the railway. I suppose this will become the definitive history of the line.

No but have good article, 13 A4 pages with 20 photos,(photocopied) from British Railway Journal Christmas 1986 on such with loads of facts figures etc, for example tenders for Trent Lane junction varied from £111,501 to £151,495! (if of interest)

Have posted some scanned pics on Nottstalgia, maybe even whole article? (I know I did somewhere) Trouble with books re old railways is most of info 2nd or 3rd hand and tends to be "recycled"? Are there any photos of Daybrook Junction? or Marlborough Rd Bridge? (have never seen any) and only a poor one of the Colwick Rd spans.

nnsc, you gave me a start then, when I read the line 'Ashley, have you bought the book about the NSR by David Birch?'. That's my brother's name and he's writing a book about the history of Rolls Royce, Hucknall. I thought, 'he didn't tell me he was writing another book about railways, the dark horse' but Googling this David I see he lives in Ruddington. Common name I guess.

nnsc, you gave me a start then, when I read the line 'Ashley, have you bought the book about the NSR by David Birch?'. That's my brother's name and he's writing a book about the history of Rolls Royce, Hucknall. I thought, 'he didn't tell me he was writing another book about railways, the dark horse' but Googling this David I see he lives in Ruddington. Common name I guess.

The phrase 'small world' comes to mind. Fancy your brother writing a book about RR, I actually work for RR although in Derby not Hucknall, but support Hucknall Town FC.

He worked going on 40 yrs at Hucknall, but finished his working life at the Derby offices, as liason officer working between airlines and stores. The airlines would speak to him about an engine problem and he'd tell them which part they needed.

No but have good article, 13 A4 pages with 20 photos,(photocopied) from British Railway Journal Christmas 1986 on such with loads of facts figures etc, for example tenders for Trent Lane junction varied from £111,501 to £151,495! (if of interest)

Have posted some scanned pics on Nottstalgia, maybe even whole article? (I know I did somewhere) Trouble with books re old railways is most of info 2nd or 3rd hand and tends to be "recycled"? Are there any photos of Daybrook Junction? or Marlborough Rd Bridge? (have never seen any) and only a poor one of the Colwick Rd spans.

Here's a photo of Marlborough Road from the excellent book.

Mraod001.jpg

Many thanks, part of those embankments are/were (last time I went) still there, if theres any pics you (or anyone else) wants of The NSR say whatever and if they are in that article I have I'll post such but as mentioned not that good quality

Ashley lad, if wit were sh*t, you'd be constipated. Some mother's do 'ave 'em, I meant when they were servicing the bloody planes they'd call him. LOL

• 2 months later...

A couple of weeks ago I attended the Woodthorpe Park History Walk and somebody mentioned that the platforms to Sherwood station are still there - they were never demolished, just covered.

There may be some of the foundations etc left at the "southern" end of platforms through the road bridge but the rest cleared pretty thoroughly via Drott etc before the flats were built, in fact I recall one hot day helping to spread via shovel and rake tons of that horrible limestone hard core pre to the area being tarmaced,

Here's a photo of Marlborough Road from the excellent book.

Mraod001.jpg

Seeing this photo above reminded me of a few in Picture the Past which show the same line a bit further along. I know the area pretty well but most of the railway relics had gone before I took any interest.

So start with the scene today, the junction of Thackerays Lane/Breck Hill Road/ Arno Vale Road/etc etc

thackeraynow.jpg

Now the same shot when the railway bridge was still there

Thackerys3.jpg

Same shot from a slightly different angle (Note how narrow the road is at the point right under the bridge, hardly enough space for two cars to pass)

Thackerys2.jpg

And finally from the other side of the bridge looking towards the first two

Thackerys1.jpg

• 2 months later...

just cooked this up to see where the tunnel was, in the modern landscape

nzomdk.jpg

i was able to get all JFK assasination by using the house in the background that still exists and is more or less exactly sideways on. the bushy area where i've put the photographer is probably all thats left of the cuttings visable in ashleys pic.

Rathole002-1-PS-Super.jpg

And without overlay

Rathole002-1-Now.jpg

Thought this might help.

Just up the road from me, and I didnt even know about the Rat-Hole!

Gary