DJ360

What Jobs Have We Done?

Some politicians here have proposed that the age for retirement, and therefore for a pension entitlement, be raised to 70 years of age.

That might be acceptable for shiny ar$es in government or office jobs but for people that do heavy manual work it is obscene as bodies are worn out long before 65 let alone 70. In a decent society we should be looking at lowering the retirement age for those involved in hard yacca.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Yes, your point about the effects of manual work is very valid, Oz. Don't under-estimate the effects on some of those involved in cerebral work though. I spent a lot of my working life behind a desk in 'shiney arse' mode, I suppose. Long demanding days in a very fast- moving business, I decided at the age of 56 I'd done enough and made enough and packed in work before the stress did it's worst. No way could I have worked to 65.

Some folk thrive on it though, mental and physical, horses for courses I'd say. 

• Like 2

Yes TBI, stress can be an issue but as my dad used to say "if you don't enjoy your job, leave". At least you were able to retire without a broken and worn out body. Each to there own is a good maxim

• Like 1

No simple answers to this.

What jobs have I had? If you count the temporary, the agency and part time work when a student it will run into dozens... Anything to earn a bob or two,

Ayupmeducks

I was interested where you mentioned working at Wilson Ford. Two friends I knew worked there. David Gladwyn and Terry Reynolds.

I new a friend too who was at British Gysum, Keith Millington. Lost contact with them aeons ago.

Was it Geoffrey that recognised my day on the Plodder..helped install it in the Wendy House..on an  Atki from Kersal Vale...my Fair Lady and Pearl were all the rage..Pat Curtin...what a ...