Old Roller Skating Rink

I was reading a book about architecture in Nottingham. On one of the walks it mentions the Neale’s auctioneers (now closed) on Mansfield Road and states the building used to house a roller skating rink by Barnes, Booth & Richardson 1930. I was quite surprised to read this and wondered if anyone knows any details about it?

I've looked at various maps and other things, but can't see any indications of there being a skating rink at the former Neale's building. As DJB says, there were several around the city centre but I've never heard of this one before.

Can you confirm that they are referring to the site near the junction with Alfred Street?

I know my Mum used to go roller-skating but as she lived in the Medders I doubt she'd go to the one you mention Dave. More likely the one on Castle Boulevard. We're talking the 1930s.

• 10 months later...

I have a vague memory of going to the Noel St.rink that would be during WW2, It was packed, I can't skate & didn't try! I also remember being in Malta in '47 and visiting 2 outdoor rinks, side by side about the size of a 'bowling green', one for roller skating & ballroom dancing in the other, a 'live combo' played the music for both.

PS Neales building had a "Sold" notice on it yesterday!

• Like 1