I noticed that a lot of users on here don't use quotes they tend to reference the post they are replying to using the hash symbol and the post number.

I find this practice odd, is there any particular reason for this?

-Mick

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got the wIfe both for her birthday tommorow,......plus a card via moonpig,....she's got a face on today (thinks ive forgot)....lol.

A bunch of flowers dies off too quickly. A box of chocolates are soon eaten. A compliment lasts for ever.

I got chocolates for the missus last birthday, not a bad swap.

Over quoting takes up too much space so I'm informed.

Indeed, that was one of my thoughts. Isn't there a user/forum permission to stop multi/mass-quoting? The jury is still out on over quoting taking up too much space, I don't see any difference in a post with or without a quote, it is, after all, only a BBCode. I think it can only be the nuisance factor?

(I don't know IPB, I've only ever administered phpBB boards)

Me neither. I find this board software quite awkward compared to, say, vBulletin . But this is more colourful.

As for the 'Re: # 45 or whatever, I started doing that when given a mild bo******ng for quoting, but I don't think I'm the first.

Col

These old threads will give an insight into the 'Quoting' issue.................

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7510 from 2010 onwards and,

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14524 from Sept 2015 and now a 'Locked Topic'.

Me neither. I find this board software quite awkward compared to, say, vBulletin . But this is more colourful.

vB can be pretty colours as well :tease:

I worked for phpBB on support until recently and the number of styles/colours available were almost inexhaustible. There was even an auto-colour application you could use to re-colour your style without having to mess with CSS.

I prefer IPB to vB but my favourite without question is phpBB, inventors of the BBCode BTW, for one thing the support there is second to none.

The links refer to quoting the previous post and over quoting which I agree with but I find it hard work when #number is used when you have to scroll back and fore to see what's being spoken about.

some quoting is ok.......its MASS quoting that is frowned upon or the quoting of the one you are following after.....where the "re #" appeared from I don't know......the problem with that is sometimes ( because a post may have been deleted ) the post count numbers are not the same for everyone.

What's also annoying is the software glitch which sometimes results in extra line spaces appearing at the beginning of the text being quoted . It isn't there when you compose your reply; it only appears once you post it. If you're really bothered, you can delete it by immediately going back in to your post. But it doesn't happen every time.

(I've artificially added it here because by sod's law it wouldn't happen when I actually wanted it to)

In brief beestonmick,

This unlike any other board wants to keep all posts made online forever.

That is why we make the most of our database size by keeping quoted text to a minimum.

SELECTIVE quoting from previous pages is acceptable.

Quoting 30 lines of text and adding a one word reply is not.

BeestonMick. Please don't assume any technical knowledge on my part re: BB software. I have none whatever. :)

Col

Quoting 30 lines of text and adding a one word reply is not.

I agree 100%.

One of the reasons, as a support person, it is good to use quotes is when someone makes a statement and then edits it some time later. If you quote it in your reply they can't deny they've said it.

As far as the editor goes yes there seems to be a couple of issues with quoting.

1. #11 (look at me with hashes) Yes the extra lines.
  2. Sometimes if you go to edit something in the quote such as remove extra lines you can't get out. The cursor won't move by clicking or TABbing.

Apart from that the editor seems fine, better than the WYSIWYG (not really but similar) editor add on in phpBB which is basically a BBCode driven editor. Personally I prefer typing mine by hand I find it gives me more control.

Firstly, a member has limited time to edit a post they made, a matter of a few minutes.

Yes there has been a problem with people entering replies into the quote box below the quoted text. This then looks like a quote without reply.

I have sorted a few of these, where I see them, by reading the original quoted post. You can use the cursor keys to drop the cursor below the quote box

You also have to be careful backspacing at the beginning of quoted text, to delete text, or you lose the quote box.

The cursor won't move by clicking or TABbing.

Dunno if I tried the cursor keys, don't think I did, I will next time it happens and report, although, you shouldn't have to resort to the keyboard.

I'm going to install a copy of IPB on my test server and see if I can repeat the issue, it *may* be style related but that should be easy to prove. Does anyone use another style (theme) than the default one? If so do you have the quote problems as above?

#18 - sensible and grown up in my eyes.

Yes just tried it, and hitting the quote button defaults the cursor below the quote box.

Perhaps a recent bug fix?

Now the bad news, this is IPB 3.4.7... IPB 4.x.x is due for install!

I think if I was going to set up a paid hosted forum, I'd go with the free open sourced Joomla, it has many plug ins.

#17. As long as I do not come out of Nottstalgia I have the ability to edit what I have posted - probably hours after it was posted, certainly way beyond a couple of hours.

I think if I was going to set up a paid hosted forum, I'd go with the free open sourced Joomla, it has many plug ins.

If you want a free forum I wouldn't go anywhere near a 'paid hosted forum', their installers are atrocious and you can't always get copies of the database if you need it to move etc. The best way, in my opinion, is to get your own hosting, it's cheap these days, and install the free open source phpBB if you want free. I've spent many many hours getting Joomla integrated with different systems and I find it a nightmare.

I need to know if this is the case.

Please check if you can still edit a previous post and how long after?

I'm editing this one at 09.06 so the edit facility is still available during that time, I'll add to it as I remember. The original was 08:46.

Quote issue

The quote thing seems to have been sorted as you said.

#21 & 22. As requested, will see how long this post will remain open (probably won't work now that I am trying). The time is now 10.10. Will not add an edit.