Brincliffe Grammar School for Girls

Talking of schools my sister went to Brincliffe Grammar School for Girls. It seemed it was a tad upmarket to me but I can always remember a few of her mates from there, two especially were drop dead stunning gorgeous. They were five years older than me and I really started to like girls after spending time in their company :rolleyes:

I remember my sister moaning about having to ride the B8 (I think) over Bullwell Forest every morning on the way to school, she used to say it must be the worst road in the world.

I was a Brincliffian as well. It was strange in a way as it was a County school in the City so we all had to come to school by bus. Don`t think anybody was driven into school in those days and there were no school buses.

I had to get the 8.10 bus from Calverton to get to school and if I missed it I didn`t get in until after break! If it was foggy or snowy the journey was slow and nightmarish.

Going home we walked down Mansfield Road to Huntingdon Street or waited, often in the dark, by the entrance to the Forest.

My sister is 69 now, I don't know it that's your era? Her name was Val Allen and her two mates I mention above were Margaret Derry (Moggs) and Lynette Stanfield. There is one who she still sees now called Gillian (I think) from Chilwell but I can't for the life of me remember her surname.

Your sister was a couple of years below me so I probably knew her but she wasn`t in my form. As you know, it was a one-form entry school. Only one 30 girl form in each year so people knew each other.

My name was Eileen Goodall and I was in Nicholson house. Miss Smedley was our fifth form teacher.

Wow, thank you ladies, who needs "who do you think you are"? thumbsup

Talking of Moggs & Lynette, I was seriously :wub: with both of them, Lynette especially. I was twelve and they're like seventeen, you can imagine. :secret: ha ha.

Wasn't Lynette in to motor bikes and stuff, maybe that's what caught my eye?

• Upvote 1

# 4. Eileen, I'm surprised you didn't go to Carlton-leWillows with you living in Calvo. You or your parents must have wanted a same-sex school? I knew a lot of kids from Calverton, Oxton, Woodborough, Epperstone while there.

#7 Hi Lizzie. My parents knew nothing about grammar schools and put me down for the one the Primary School Headmistress advised them to.

(told them to!!)

. I know that all but a couple of girls around my age or a bit older went to Brincliffe and the exceptions went to a Newark school. I don`t know anybody of my age who went to Carlton-le-Willows. How strange!

yes, that would have been Lilley & Stone grammar school in Newark. A neighbour of mine in Arnold went there, it took her hours to get to and from school.

Oh dear ...... sorry Mick, I've hijacked your Brincliffe thread!

#9 Oh yes, Lizzie, Lilley and Stone. That was the one. Thank you.

Isn`t it interesting the amount of influence the village school Head would have with parents who relied on them for info in those days.

I can clearly remember Miss W telling my mam, 'Put her down for Brincliffe. Most of my 11+ gels go there.'

I think that modern parents would have a wider knowledge of schools etc.

When I had to put my choices for a secondary school, I put Carlton-le-Willows first and Brincliffe second - can't remember the third one. We all wanted to go to CLW as it was a new school. When we started in 1954, it was still being built - we could only use one half of it but it was lovely. We kept being told that we were the ones who would make the traditions for the school. We only had one year above us and they had been shipped in from West Bridgeford and Henry Mellish. We had kids coming from a long way away - one girl lived near Newstead Abbey and some of my other classmates came from Long Eaton. There were 3 (I think) school buses laid on. I just got the 25 to the bottom of Westdale Lane and then walked the rest of the way.

• Upvote 1

Same here Margie. We got a long list of schools, mainly County but I think there must have been City schools as well as I chose Bramcote Hills Grammar first (isn't that within the city boundary), Arnold High second (it was less than half a mile away from my home), and C-le-W third. I was sent to C-le-W but never regretted it, I loved school.

I had to catch a Trent bus that came through Arnold from Hucknall, full of school kids. There were other kids from the Eastwood area at school too. Of course the County Council provided free bus passes to ship us little uns around the county.

• Upvote 1

Yes, indeedy.

When my sister said she was head girl I had one of those mmmm moments. I think she was the middle one of the sisters, a mate of mine Malcolm Davidson went out with the youngest sister who's name I can't remember. My sister still sees Gillian now and again.

How do you know Michael nudge nudge?

Sherwin Jopson was head girl & was several years below me. Not sure of her age. She went to N.Z. after her marriage & still has a home there, although she is caring for her Mum near Leeds currently.
  • 3 months later...

Looking for Beeston Mick - I'm the "Lynette" he mentions - actually Lynnette Stanfield - a friend of his sister Val. If you're reading this Mick- contact me - you can find me on Facebook (Lynnette V Stanfield) send me a friend request!!

PS - I'm in Canada!!

Hi Mick, I am Avril (Smith). I was in the same class as your sister Val,Lynnette and Pat Jones. We used to come over to your house in Papplewick. I am in regular contact with Lynnette who lives in Canada and I see Pat every month. Would love to get in contact with Val. Please message me.

• Upvote 1