What's happened to Sutton on Sea

MargieH and Oztalgian - did you ever look for the horseshoes at Byards Leap which marked either the start of finish of the 'leap'?

It must be 50 years or more since I was last there, and they were rather hidden in the long grass. I've no idea if they're still there.

Regarding it being after the war, when we used to go by car to Chapel, somewhere the other side of Sleaford we would sometimes pull in at a gateway to a wooded area, and on the gate was a sign warning people to beware of mines - this was in the late 1950s.

• Upvote 1

Merthyr, no I never saw the horseshoes. I don't think we ever saw any notices about mines in our picnic spot, either, but there were some mines washed up on the beach. I have got a photo of me aged about 2 or 3 and my Dad at S on S or Mablethorpe, and there was barbed wire high barriers behind us at the top of the steps leading up from the beach. On the sand dunes at Chapel there was an old concrete pill box which we used to play on - wonder if it's still there..... It was between Chapel Point and Chapel village, but nearer the village end. I'll try and post the photo when I find time, although it's a bit faded. (Like me!!!)

I wasn't really aware of the full story/stories. But my Dad told me the ghost of the horse and rider was sometimes still seen - that was what scared me!

#26 Merthyr Imp #27 MargieH

Yes the reason that we used to stop was to find the horse shoes. I think there were three sets and as a kid it was an amazing distance between take off and landing.

The other stop we used to make was the Boston Stump and for some reason I remember my dad telling me that there was 365 steps to the top.

Can't remember seeing any notices about mines or barbed wire entanglements on the way to the coast in the late fifties.

Oztalgian, I've just looked at my very old photo [1945] of me and my Dad at Mablethorpe or S o S and it wasn't a barbed wire barrier I remembered - it was scaffolding. I think I was told it was to prevent any enemy landings?

image.jpg1_zpssueqamro.jpg

• Upvote 6

Nice photo Margie. I wonder if the steps and bars that you are sitting on are still visible. We had a caravan near Ingoldmills for nine years from year 2000 and so spent a lot of time cycling mainly on the sea front when able between Skeggy and Mablethorpe.

One of the things that saddened me was to see quite often, just the very top of some of these steps and hand rails protruding from the sand; all the rest would be out of sight, still there but buried under the sand.

So much of the front especially around Ingoldmills is being lost to the sand. I have photo's from our courting days sitting on beach steps that people wouldn't even know existed. We know they are there, only because we happened to be there before the sand claimed them. Ahh, Memories. :)

• Upvote 2