Long Eaton revisited...

Must be 20 years+ since I visited Long Eaton......

Hoping to use my freebie 'wrinkly' bus pass, on next weeks jaunt, to rectify the situation.

Could BiP, Mick, etc perhaps recommend where I might enjoy a nice lunch/pint, adjacent to the Market Place?

No gyppo grub for me.....ta!

Went free to Buxton on the 'Trans-Peak' service from Broad Marsh yesterday.

Enjoyed it immensely - only allowed myself 2 hours there - must go again, loads more to see.

Have arrived in the 20th Century by investing in a digital camera: nice camera, crap operator...

Took a few pics yesterday and plan to take more on my local travels, as I acquire some basic skills.

Hope to load them onto my 'Fotopic' website, as some occupational therapy for the summer months.

Cheers

Robt P.

Den, thanks for your recommendation.....

Went into The Litten Tree for a pint and a snack at lunchtime.

Very enjoyable, nice place....plenty of fighting room!

Not over impressed with the shops and market....

Rather a more sophisticated version of Bulwell, but considerably fewer 'toothless women in curlers' on show.

Cheers

Robt P.

:Friends: Basicaly rob i think they are all the same :Friends: I shop in Beeston aswell as Long eaton. I find Beeston best simply because at the weekends getting into and leaveing Long Eaton is a nightmare, traffic lights every twenty yards humps on the main roads aswell as speed cameras everywhere, ridiculous.IMO.

I avoid shopping at the weekends do mine in the week much less stressssssssssss. !jumping!

• 16 years later...

Had some good times in Long Eaton back in the 60s............especially in the 'Tiger inn'' upstairs...

Dancing with a girl one time...and at the same time a very big bloke was going round the room Smacking lots of customers..........asked the girl  ''Whats up we im?''.......oh him..thats me boy friend he gets like that when he's had a few..'''................i started to wonder if i did the right thing asking her to Dance........especially to the 'Bum squeezing''  ''Whiter shade of Pale''............:Shock:

• Like 1

@benjamin1945we lived in Long Eaton for a couple of years when we got married in 1984 and The Tiger was a biker pub in those days. Used to go in for a pint occasionally with a workmate Saturday dinner when we'd finished but it wasn't the kind of pub to take @RadFordee dancing on a Saturday night 

• Like 1

It never was really @heyarnold...........but i enjoyed living dangerously....lol

Edit........got a slap this morning in Bulwell..........when i asked a Lady if i could take her to Locarno one Tuesday night...as its only 1/6..........

• Like 4

How sad...we used to dance upstairs in the 60s.....the lads wern't keen on us Nottingham boys.........however the girls didnt seem to mind.....:rolleyes:

@benjamin1945looking at street view it looks like most of the pubs that were in long eaton have now closed, lots of good pubs there in the mid 80's & a nightclub, i really liked living there then it was a good town centre with a variety of shops, a great market too & it still had a wimpy bar there then as well.

Back in the 80's when we lived in Long Eaton there was 30 minutes difference between last orders in Notts and Derbyshire. We used to drink in The Beech Tree in Beeston, as a friend's father used to keep it, where last orders was 10:30pm. We'd order and drink up quickly then make the mad dash up to The Half Crown in Long Eaton where last orders were 11pm. There'd be quite a convoy of cars making the crossing over the border!!

I was there thru all of 1966...Managing Marsdens in the high street.....when England won the world cup i watched some of it stood in the high street looking thru a TV shop window....and yes back then Long Eaton was a busy little town and full of shops of every kind....made a couple of life long friends there as well..........

22 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

@benjamin1945we lived in Long Eaton for a couple of years when we got married in 1984 and The Tiger was a biker pub in those days. Used to go in for a pint occasionally with a workmate Saturday dinner when we'd finished but it wasn't the kind of pub to take @RadFordee dancing on a Saturday night 

• Like 1

@RadFordee and myself went there for a meal one evening and as we were tucking in, a quite large yucca at the side of the table keeled over and fell across my lap! Amidst much fussing and apologies from the waitress I joked that seeing as it appeared to have taken a liking to me could we take it home, she said, to our surprise, that yes we could as they were being refurbished and all the plants were going. Got some strange looks walking home through Long Eaton town centre with a 4' triffid that evening but we had it for several years. Only got rid of it after it outgrew the house!

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Beekay said:

@philmayfield, if the meal was on expenses, I sincerely hope you went the whole Hog and had yourself a prawn cocktail starter and Black Forest gateaux for pudding.  :Shock:

Naturally. My expenses were never queried. If I was staying out of town overnight my senior always insisted I put in a nominal sum for ‘tips sundries and entertainment’ even if I never paid any out. When I was in management I was much tougher on expenses as I knew all the fiddles! :biggrin:

• Like 1