• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottingham Road/Haydn Road turn round again

This has recently appeared on Facebook. I think it should be here as well. I have not seen it on here before although I think it is a well known picture. Not just the end of trolleybuses but Victoria

This is a trolley photo but it's also a photo of Manvers Street, Sneinton. Surprisingly most of the buildings have survived; at the far end is the old wholesale market, and the rear of the NCT bus gar

It certainly looks like Sherwood Rise to me that the other trolley bus in the picture is going up. The two bay windowed houses on the left of the picture also look correct for the same position on Sherwood Rise today.

#48. For most of the day the sun (when its shining) is in the south. Looking at the shadow cast in the photo, the photographer must have been with his back to the sun and facing north. If it is Nottingham Road/Sherwood Rise then we are looking towards Basford. Did the trolley buses go up the hill from Basford and then turn round at Haydn Road, or did they come down from Nottingham and then turn round at Haydn Road?

From the thread about Northgate http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2365

Do you remember Northgate before it was widened? where there is one house now next to Ropers garage there was I think 3, then a small Midland? Bank branch and on the corner Bicknall's Post Office.

Ashley, Pete Ropers garage, and the Midland bank were on Nottingham road, with Bicknalls P/o on both, as it was at the junction, where it got widened.

Is this the Midland Bank in the photo ? That would mean the end of Northgate is hidden behind the bus.

Yes, I think so too. It looks like the bus is turning into Haydn Rd coming down Nottingham Rd, photo from this position....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9770089,-1.1666918,3a,37.5y,105.53h,82.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEbZJBpVaIF9x9vhdlzT-Yg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

the house corner and wall on the left in the picture looks like the one that can be seen on streetview, zoomed in. Northgate behind the bus.

That's what I said in post 53. The bay windowed houses I referred to in the original picture can be seen on clearly on your picture. What I have always referred to as Sherwood Rise is apparently Nottingham Road so I just learned something there! I thought Sherwood Rise started at Northgate!

ive looked at some old photos of the star inn and it was a Home Ales pub - maybe that sign doesnt say midlands bank after all and that wall on the left looks 99 percent the same - ive looked at a few possible places around the haydn road nottingham road - mansfield road end to try and match it up but i keep coming back the haydn road , nottingham road, northgate spot

The junction in the early 50s, when Northgate was only half the present width and the end of Haydn road was much narrower than today. The Bank and Post Office are clearly marked. And note the boundary wall of house number 166 on Nottingham Road - it sticks out just like in the photo.

north_zpsexbcis3x.jpg

• Upvote 1

As others have said & i'm inclined to agree. The 37 service turned at Haydn Road / Nottingham Road junction, there being a bus turning circle there at that time.

Scroll down to picture Number 15.

http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/wp-content/themes/Old-Bus-Photos/galleries/nottingham_trolleybuses_the_last_years/nottingham_trolleybuses_the_last_years.php

• Upvote 1

This has just appeared on Eastwood & Kimberley Bygones Group on Facebook. It looks like Nottingham Road Basford again to me. The A1 should be Notts and Derby Traction but could be Midland General.

b8nsc0.jpg

• Like 1

Well there's an MG, Hillman Super-Minx and a Standard Vanguard. I reckon very early 60's. The blue bus, possibly AEC Regent - (not a good enough picture to know for sure) looks to me like 7'6" body and I don't remember ever having seen them going through Eastwood. Also it is a colour picture rather than B&W.

Definitely Nottingham Road, the Baptist Church is visible between buses, the MG & Hillman are parked outside the Garage that was still there in the 70's (when I lived at 5 Potters Terrace, off Northgate shown as Potters Place on #63 Cliff Ton's map). What is slightly confusing is the Trolleybus says CITY, when it's heading down Nottingham Road towards Western Boulevard (opposite direction to City Centre)????

I thought It was going the wrong way too. But not knowing the routes I was wondering if it went down Nottingham Road out on to Valley Road and back to the 'City' up Radford Road. But as I say, I don't know the routes.