And how normal was it to see a trolley bus overtaking what appears to be a moving motor bus ?

Maybe a couple of possibilities - the Midland General (I'm pretty sure it IS an AEC Regent III) could be at a stop with parked cars preventing it from getting to the curb, and/or maybe the trolleybus is empty and speeding back to Bulwell depot, which could account for it heading away from town.

• Like 1
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottingham Road/Haydn Road turn round again

This has recently appeared on Facebook. I think it should be here as well. I have not seen it on here before although I think it is a well known picture. Not just the end of trolleybuses but Victoria

This is a trolley photo but it's also a photo of Manvers Street, Sneinton. Surprisingly most of the buildings have survived; at the far end is the old wholesale market, and the rear of the NCT bus gar

The blue bus is definitely a N&D AEC Regent of about 1948 vintage (the full-depth driver's windscreen defines it as one of those with pre-selector gearbox - the slightly older but otherwise very similar ones with a manual gearbox had a shallow windscreen). It may even be parked - there was an A1 about 5 o' clock on weekday evenings that started round about there, mainly for Bairnswear workers. The location is actually only a few yards from the earlier posting of the trolleybus turning at Haydn Road - just in front of the house visible behind the A1.

• 2 months later...

This has recently appeared on Facebook. I think it should be here as well. I have not seen it on here before although I think it is a well known picture. Not just the end of trolleybuses but Victoria Station as well.

28bd541.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a trolley photo but it's also a photo of Manvers Street, Sneinton. Surprisingly most of the buildings have survived; at the far end is the old wholesale market, and the rear of the NCT bus garage is out of shot on the left. The Wimpey sign on the right is advertising the forthcoming construction of the Manvers Street tower blocks which would occupy the empty space where the sign is. 

manvers_zpsty8lmuzw.jpg

• Upvote 3

Nice looking Ford Pop' there to.  At first I thought it was the one I used to own, even down to the big fog light on the front but it has a different license number when you look a bit closer.  That street brings back a few memories as the Trent bus from Netherfield used to stop there before going on to Huntingdon Street.  Me mam used to say, " We're gerrin off at 'Ockly."  Probably because she wanted to go to Woolworthes.  For some reason I always wanted to go on to the bus station.  I suppose I didn't think we'd gorrour moneys woth.

• Upvote 3

The first car I ever drove was a Ford Pop like that one. My cousin bought one for £6 & he let me have a drive of it.

I was 14 years old !

3 speed gearbox, no heater, no radio, vacuum wipers, semaphore indicators, cable brakes too.:tony:

Great cars.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

First car I ever owned.  Bought it from my mate at the EMEB  15 quid.  Drove it for three years.  Mine had a heater!  Somebody ran a length of three inch hose connected it to the top of the rad' and ran it into the inside of the car.  Radio was a pocket transistor hanging from the Rear view mirror.  Ford figured you didn't need the wipers when going uphill in the rain.  Brakes were interesting. Cable operated as you say used to make a horrible grating noise on front left if you hit 'em hard.  Batter than the horn for scaring pedestrians back onto the pavement..  Lol.  Used to thump the inside of the car to make the trafficators pop out.

• Upvote 1

Somewhere along that row of shops was a little cafe that when I was a second year electrical apprentice, working on the Wimpey flats just behind there, used to go daily with another apprentice to pick up around 10-15 full dinners, on plates with a metal cover over, to take back for the lads lunch on site.

We had to get the order in for 9-30am first.

Then we had to collect all the crockery and return it after.

This was in between carrying a big jug of tea, and a box of mugs up the 17 floors to foind all the blokes for morning and afternoon tea break ! it's a wonder I had time to learn owt.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, banjo48 said:

Somewhere along that row of shops was a little cafe that when I was a second year electrical apprentice, working on the Wimpey flats just behind there, used to go daily with another apprentice to pick up around 10-15 full dinners, on plates with a metal cover over, to take back for the lads lunch on site.

This is dated 1985, but it's definitely a Cafe and it's in the right place. 

cafe85_zpssgohqvgh.jpg

• Upvote 2

That was Ivy's cafe, we used it early seventies. You got your meal from the kitchen downstairs and then looked for an available table on the first or second floor. I think the building is now occupied by Trent taxis.

I recall that cafe..and the massage parlour above it!

The flat above the cafe was raided by the anti- terrorist squad in connection with an IRA attack on a gasometer up north.Won't name the fella/after a session in the Robert Peel , that chinky was great for soakage!

17 minutes ago, iandawson said:

The flat above the cafe was raided by the anti- terrorist squad in connection with an IRA attack on a gasometer up north.

And if I remember the same event, the police got into the flat above the cafe by parking a van or lorry outside, and going in the flat window off the van roof.