• 3 years later...

The bridge is called Arch Bridge. It's at least the third or fourth version of it in my time here. That part of the main Mansfield Road is where the area of Redhill gets it's name from due to the colour of the Bunter Sandstone rock which can be viewed on the left of the cutting go up the hill there. The original Mansfield Road leads up higher to the right of the picture and on to Arch Bridge. Lea Pool Roundabout is just bey9nd and over the hill.

....and if I had a quid for every time I walked up there as a kid, we could have a decent booze-up!

Do you remember over Arch Bridge, Eric? The waterworks reservoir thingy, the allotments (if they were there at that time too. Would the ponds near Lea Pool roundabout have been there then? Facing towards Mansfield at the roundabout and over to the left? I used to have permission to fish in them as a kid as my mum's sister was married to one of the Gadsby clan that owned them.

Remember Gadsby's farm house on Redhill too too? Originally called the Redhill Guide House?

I remember Gadsby's farm very well indeed - at the time, our house (number 26) was the last one on Lodge Farm Lane - the field next to us was part of the farm. There was also a footpath that ran along the bottom of the field, then down behind the back of the houses on Roscoe Ave. and came out next to the farm house on Mansfield Road. My uncle lived on Roscoe Ave and had a little "back gate" onto the footpath. He had a television long before we did so we would go over there, particularly on Sunday afternoons, to watch.

I vaugely remember the waterworks reservoir, and I do remember walking up to the Lea Pool roundabout - it was VERY different then, of course.

You'll probably remember the old road at the roundabout? With your back to Nottingham it still stands there to the right of the main A614 Ollerton Road. Quite curious to walk along it now, it's overgrown and partly used by the local farmer to dump manure on etc but some of the road markings are still vaguely discernible. It cuts through to the near the foot of Lime Lane. Not sure when they closed it but I remember the present road when it was new so it was probably the mid-sixties at a guess.

I remember creeping about up there with some mates when were at school and hearing a rustling in the bushes and trees planted on the new road embankment encountered a young couple in a *ahem* compromising situation. We did what all lads would of course - threw some bangers at them and ran like hell...with the young guy in hot pursuit!

That's right, Den. the garage was called Hawkers and had that name for some decades. The cafe became a Little Chef for many years and fairly recently the empty building has been turned into an Indian restaurant of all things.

The old privately owned garage has been a petrol station for many years also.

The little old road became a bit of a 'lovers lane' until it was barricaded to vehicles. It's still possible to walk up there. Feels a little bit strange and eerie actually.

Down off the roundabout on the A60 Mansfield Road has seen a change as well. The old Bestwood Pumping Station (many wrongly believe it to be to be Papplewick Pumping Station) is now a restaurant, bar and health club called Lakeside. It's very nice and uses the old cooling pond outside as an attractive feature

lakeside_470_470x326.jpg

LAKESIDE

Similar but different mate.

The old Surprise View caravan site closed many years ago and the caravans cleared gradually. It's now called Killarney Park and is a private estate of static homes - very nice too. It's accessed from Lammin's Lane which is adjacent Lakeside mentioned above. It's around a mile from the main Mansfield Road. There's an age restriction for residents, you need to be 45 years plus or something like thatt. I run and walk from there regularly. It's a nice spot next door to Bestwood Country Park.

It seems quite daft to say this but ,I drove up there once (Whilst I was working ) and you really do get a 'Surprise view'

It seems quite daft to say this but ,I drove up there once (Whilst I was working ) and you really do get a 'Surprise view'

Yes, actually it's quite lovely. You can see over to Papplewick and beyond and over the way to Newstead etc. It's an attractive spot to be sure. I often see the likes of couriers, Post Office workers and just general people who appear to be driving on the way home from their work just stop off and have a lunch break or a few minutes break after work in their cars. Just a few folk who have somehow discovered this nice little spot.

I remember it when it was Surprise View some years ago. The guy who managed it lived opposite me on Mansfield Road. In those days it had an outdoor swimming pool and tennis courts etc.

There is still access (on foot) to Moor Lane between Papplewick and Bestwood Village through Goosedale. There is a car's width but it is now gated. There used to be a restaurant down Goosedale called 'Loopers' with an attendant air museum. It's under different ownership now. A very pretty spot.

• 8 months later...
The location???

Re Redhill, anyone know why the cutting came about? ie as replacement for original road on the right (from arnold). the last bridge (before presnt one) finished up in council yard back of showman's winter quarters on western boulevard

From what I read many years ago the road was impassable particularly in winter.The incline being a problem for horse drawn traffic.

Paul.

give that man a cigar! well half of one, I was told the horse drawn "buses" to mansfield had to be "double headed" I know that was the case going up Derby Rd to Canning Circus with a "banker" horse and trough at top and bottom of the hill

Hi Ashley,

The correct name for the"Banker horse" is/was Cock horse, they used to hitch the said cock horse to the regular team of hoses to assist them up Derby road. there was a "cock horse" paddock situated at the bottom of Derby road more or less outside the Bell pub

Rog

Some superb local knowledge around here!

The Old Guide House (Gadsby's Farm as was) was one of the several inns in Redhill that would cater for horse drawn travel of the day. Of course The Wagon and Horses (which still had an original stable when I was a lad) and The Ram Inn were similar, along with The Three Crowns (demolished). I understand there were others but I've never been able to trace them.

Mansfield Road was indeed a toll road. At the point where Redhill become Daybrook on Mansfield Road just above the White Hart are a row of town houses and then a large house which I understand was the toll house. At the corner of the no-through road these days which it borders, there is a very old stone gatepost which I believe comes from those times.

Here's another one whilst we're in my home patch. Where was 'Redhill Barracks' and what was it?

• 1 year later...

Re Redhill, anyone know why the cutting came about? ie as replacement for original road on the right (from arnold). the last bridge (before presnt one) finished up in council yard back of showman's winter quarters on western boulevard

As pb mentions and you describe, Ashley it was a very difficult and strenuous hill for the horse drawn coaches. I saw it described somewhere as something like 'the terrible, interminable incline of Red Hill'.

Seem to have read elsewhere that part of the reason for creating the cutting and bridge was to provide labour for local Arnold men during hard times, similar to the Gunthorpe Bridge and Weir projects.

Same excellent reading about it in the below. From a site previously linked by Beefy:

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/arnold1913/arnold3.htm

(The Old North Road)