Did anyone ever have ice cream from the Severn Mile House near Papplewick? I believe it's now an eatery? Mr and Mrs Revell were the owners, the ice cream was home made and it was stunning, best ice cream ever. My dad was the local bobby so we got it free most of the time.

Strangely enough BM that you ask that question ! As a regular at the Seven Mile House at Papplewick I can honestly say that the ice cream can only be described as "commercial" i.e Walls or Tesco !.

The Seven Mile House IMHO is much better than Toby for a carvery meal, also a small range of other food is availale too. Fish & Chips etc, with unlimited peas & chips.!

Not a great range of ale but a very nice place to eat. Now owned by Crown Carveries. http://www.crowncarveries.co.uk/nationalsearch/eastandwestmidlands/thesevenmileinnnottingham

Coincidently, My son & daughter are taking me & Mrs Catfan there on Saturday !

Do you remember it when it was a normal white house on the side of the road in the '50's? I remember the home made stuff often had chunks of ice in it which we used to think was pretty special when we were kids, as you do.

Another place in the area for us when we had bike rides was "bunstump" and I see that's now turned in to a restaurant as well that goes by the name of Burnt Stump strangely enough. I went clay pigeon shooting up there a few years ago but there was no restaurant last time I looked.

All my old haunts seem to be restaurants now, what's going on?

Yes it was.

As a lad, I loved it when my dad would stop there on the way to Mansfield. Tiny little shop, mostly filled with those metal tubs of ice cream of various flavours.

Their ice cream was almost as good as the little shop in Crich that we used to go to on a Sunday on the way home from a trip into Derbyshire. Which nearly offset having to listen to "Sing Something Simple" on the car radio.

• Upvote 1

Yes remember it well, we used to go maybe up to Matlock or Carver edge on a Sunday drive with mum and dad and called in for an ice cream on the way home then up to Dorket head, then Mapperley tops.

Mum and dad also reminisce'd when they used to cycle to Mansfield and back on their tandem and they too used to stop there for an ice cream, in their early years of marriage after dad got demobbed.

Last time I went to the seven mile house I seem to recall it being a small shop. Mind you, that was about forty years ago :)

• 11 months later...

Ian #14. I was born and bred in Notts but have never heard of that, was it water ice based or milky with a chocolate capping, did it have a flavour?

We have Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs  down under but they are caramelised popcorn with crushed peanuts in the caramel.

I worked for Mr Softee which used Walls products, and I've never heard of it either.

I bought a tub of real ice cream made by my former employer "Mackie's".  The owner, Maitland Mackie, was a chief executive at the Scottish Agricultural College when I worked in the farm animal disease surveillance centre.When I took the ice cream out of the freezer it was rock hard....I had forgotten that real ice cream needs to be kept at -10°C NOT  -21°C. At -10°C it is pliable but at -21°C it is like stone!  Hence commercial ice cream freezers have thermostats set to -10°C.

I love the honeycomb ice cream but I can't find it in any local retail outlet.  there is a place in Thurso, 16 miles from me, that does it in cones but they charge £1.50 for a small one.