Glasshouse Street

Glasshouse Street was the place I started proper clubbing at "The Room At The Top", I can't remember the name of the pub it was above though. There was also a clinic for anti-social diseases in Glasshouse Street which I never got to visit.

Well Lizzie, I didn't know a lady would know of such a place.

• Upvote 1

Glasshouse Street was the place I started proper clubbing at "The Room At The Top", I can't remember the name of the pub it was above though. There was also a clinic for anti-social diseases in Glasshouse Street which I never got to visit.

i did.......... :biggrin:

I only knew where it was FLY !!

I went to that 'Room at the Top' club too Mick. It had those ultraviolet lights that showed up dandruff, and in my case it made a crown I had on a tooth look a very different colour.

I know Lizzie. I used to cross the road when I walked past. LOL

Yes, it was the White Hart.

Quite a few of us ROF apprentices used to go there and the DJ, a black guy called Charlie Brown of all things, was a mate of one of them. It was a proper soul club. Do you remember the stabbings that went on there? It was a rough place I seem to remember.

If someone asked you what car you drove and you said "I have an NSU", like I had, you'd get whisked off to the special clinic :P

cWo09OK.jpgNot an anti-social disease!!

I think I've mentioned this before in the annals but Glasshouse Street was once under road repair. It was students' 'Rag Week' and they phoned the police to say students were in disguise digging up the road, then 'phoned the road repairers and told them they were going to be raided by students disguised as policemen. I don't know what happened as a result. Do you still get a 'Rag Week'? They used to put out a magazine to mark the event but I don't recall its title.

• Upvote 1

Was it Ragmag.

I remember sitting in the Toreador one Saturday afternoon at Rag Week, and several people were opening collection tins and paying for drinks in pennies, half pennies and three penny bits. I suppose that's one way of supplementing their grants.

Chickerah, that's it.

I believe the students concerned were Art students, they bought me an espresso so I turned a blind eye.

I did my first DJ ing at the Room at the Top above the White Hart..

Would be Summer 1968 I think. We were just starting out using a pair of hacked about decks out of dansettes plonked in a chipboard box. We used Dave Cartwright's BEL guitar amp. For full range music it sounded horrible. We originally called ourselves Emfotheque. Cheesy eh? Came from EMF, as in electro motive force. Soon changed to The Magic Roundabout Disc Show. We didn't do much st the place but we learned and soon moved on to the 360 etc. I was djing the Hart one night when a bloke was shot outside the pub round the corner.

Col.