I was actually born in 1967 but I am very iterested in the radford area as my great gran [died in the 50s] was a Emily Hughes who owned a few properties on Forster street where she had a funeral parlour. This was number 24 I believe and has since been demolished. I am also interested in a property that she also owned which was called Bramcote house on Bramcote street this was demolished I don't know when but there are few 1970s built houses in that part now. Does anyone know anything about this or my great gran? Her son] in law [my granfather born in 1900 lived on Orange street, meadows] had a wet fish shop onDenman Street towards the top. The building is still there and is a 3 story terrace. with a lofted garage/stable behind. This was about 1946/48. He apparently did a roaring trade of fish fresh from grimsby and also rabbits and game which my gran prepared i the loft of garage building.Can any oe help with anything here?
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This map dated 1920 show what changes have taken place in Radford over the years. In 1965 I lived near the Northeast corner of Norton Street/Hartley Road. (in this map north is left) The south east

Bet that was some hen night?

When was Orange street pulled down? From what I have seen there is only a Orange gardens now. My granfather was born there ad the family lived there until about 1918, they then moved to 160 Colwick Ro

Posted Images

buzz10

press fast reply to respond to a post

press quote and then add reply to quote a former post (Please don't quote the previous post)

Welcome to the club too

• 1 year later...

Heres a pic of Radford today, same position as Micks older pic....tho why when i put a search in for Radford Nottngham it has found it as Radford 'sutton in ashfield' is anyones guess.

Radford.jpg

That's a fairly recent satallite view as I can see the A/C unit I moved at the back of the Bingo 2 years ago (just to the right of the word Sutton).

It takes a trained eye of course :tongue:

• 4 months later...

I used to attend Bentinck Road Girls School - on the corner of Alfreton Road/Bentinck Road. The church on the opposite corner was, I think, St Stevens, this has long since been demolished. Anyone know when this was?

I've mentioned this before, so sorry if it bores but heard on radio nottm once one of the skill's family talking of founding of the bus co. He said his grandfather (or someone) had a wet fish round in Derby and every day would collect fish at vic station early in morning (assume Derby being Midland didn't get east coast fish trains?) On way to Derby he would see people WALKING from likes of Long Eaton and Ilkeston to work at Spondon! and give them a lift in his open lorry, they gave him tips and it got to state where he was making more money from that than the fish round so fitted seats in his lorry! = Skill's 1st bus

Was it Skills who had a "depot" on Derby Rd just below the cathedral? I think sign of four was there also and in 1960's a car customising shop.

Going back to that map and Radford anyone know the story of the path that runs from end of Ascot Drive over the railway via a substantial bridge to St Peters street? an old collier told me was known as "Miner's Walk or Path"?

• 2 weeks later...

The building referred to on Norton Street where the BB met was the Dame Agnes Mellors Lads Club. It was replaced by a multi level garage block for the Connaught Gardens (now gone) flats around 1969?

the Club had lots of facilities like a woodwork shop etc. also they used to have boxing matches and other events. I think they must have been amateurs, local club competitions etc. anyway they were really popular when most folks still did not have a telly.

Skills shop on Denman Street, had both a wet fish and a fish and chip shop.

It was not the greatest fish and chips, but improved in later years. I think the one at Ilkeston Road and Albert Grove was the favourite.

Firther down Denman St., just before Trafalgar St was another F&S, I remember they were pretty good.

Skills had another shop on Alfreton Road, I think. but i cannot remember if it was wet or fried fish. I think it was close to the Bus business by Forest Road. In the early days (evening mystery trips and weekend runs to Skeggy) I think all Skills bus operations were on Alfreton Road. The St Peters St depot came later.

Edowes butcher (the SPOT for quality meats) were down Denman Street, where i remember queuing up for meat with coupons on a Saturday morning. They also opened up a second outlet on Alfreton Road near Forest Road - after rationing finished.

Thanks Richard.

I lived at 86a Norton Street, next to the chemist Players end.

Joined the 'Bucket Bashers' BB but never went back.

I remember they had some football pitches there on hard standing.

Around Mid 60's, I lived above Dewhusts butchers Alfreton Road. just above Forest Road and on the same side, Had to go down the side of the pub to get to the back of the shop. Dreadful place as I remember, Last time I passed it was still the old green paint and wonky windows! Dewhusts? Do they exist anymore?

• 3 months later...

Think Dewhurst's are all gone now.

USED TO BE A BRANCH OF DEWHURSTS IN NETHERFIELD AND ONE AT THE BOTTOM OF HOCKLEY BOTH HAVE BEEN GONE FOR YEARS NOW.

BYE THE WAY DO ANY OF YOU OLD RADFORD GUYS AND GELLS KNOW WERE LEA ST OLD RADFORD WAS CARNT SEE THE MAP WELL ENOUGH TO FIND IT IF ITS THERE. MY GRAND MOTHER LIVED THERE AT NO 35 IN THE 1901 CENCUS SO FAR THIS IS THE ONLY RECORD I CAN FIND OF HER CARNT FIND HER ON THE 1891 CENCUS ALTHOUGH HER MOTHER AND BROTHER AND SISTER ARE LISTED LIVING IN RADFORD WORKHOUSEBUT NO MENTION OF MY GRAND MOTHER HERE OR ON 1911 CENCUS SHES A BIT OF A MISTORY APART FROM ENTRY 1881 CENCUS AGE THREE THEN NEXT ONE 1901. KNOW SHE WHENT TO LIVE IN NETHERFIELD BEFORE MY MOTHER WAS BORN 1915 MUM LIVED IN THIS HOUSE FOR 60 YEARS UNTILL THEY WERE PULLED DOWN EARLY 60S.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Babs,

Lea Street was off Alfreton Road opposite Peveril Street, thats between Forest Road an Hartley Road on the site of the '60 flats

THANKS FOR THAT LITTLE BRO 'ANOTHER ? ANSWERED FOR ME GIVING ME A GOOD IDEA OF THE PAST MY RELITIVES LIVED.

AND ITS FUNNY TO THINK THAT BOTH SIDES OF MY FAMILY GREAT GRAND PARENTS LIVED IN THE SAME ROUGH AREA OF RADFORD ABOUT THE SAME TIME WONDER IF THEY KNEW EACH OTHER OR IF THEY OR THERE SIBLING EVER WENT OUT WITH ONE ANOTHER. NOW THAT WOULD BE A FUNNY THING WOULDNT IT.

• 9 months later...

And heres me thinking "low profile tyres" were a new thing, seeing the beer sign reminds me of someone who used to go in the old fox and crown at basford, he had a habit of annoying the the landlady by folding the beer mats on the bar so the latter 2 "S"s the P and the E couldn't be seen!

I hope you didn't go in the Pub and drink some of their ale that they pass off as pi$$ slywink

It was Shippos, not an inferior brand that I'm not allowed to mention, but suffice to say it relates to a colour with an added 'e' and a monarch !!

(And may I state that you pick one hell of a moment to come back and say hello!!).............................................rotfl.gif

• 3 years later...

Skills toy shop on Alfreton Road, was on the same side and just below Forest Road

The toy shop was a single story with a gated yard to the right.

Next to that was a newsagent but the name escapes me Next was a small electronics shop tha sold Sinclair stuff.

An then was there a pub on the left corner of Forest Road/Alfreton Road. There was certainly a pub on the right hand corner.

(Skills toy shop can be seen on the first map above one building down Alfreton Road from forest road.)

You are correct. I lived on Peveril St and walked past Skills etc on the way to Windley School Forest Rd. The bank was opposite and just down from the bank was the first Indian restuarant in Nottingham - The Ko i Nor. The owners son was my pal - a Royce Udin. Almost facing Skills on Alfreton Rd were various shops including my Aunt Min's greengrocery shop.

I used to attend Bentinck Road Girls School - on the corner of Alfreton Road/Bentinck Road. The church on the opposite corner was, I think, St Stevens, this has long since been demolished. Anyone know when this was?

I also went to Bentink Rd The church was St Michaels and all Angels. I was a choir boy there. Rev Cannon Leaper lived in a large house opposite the Forest gates Mt Hooton Rd.

That electronics shop was Eddy's, used to sell lots of ex WD stuff, think later it went up market a few doors above Horace Rogers Motorbikes selling Tv's Video's etc, can't recall it's name, NSE? should know it as wife worked there for a while

I bought my first VHS tape from Eddys...still got it with the Blues Brothers on it. It's got a label on £7.50.If you update that with inflation to today that was a helluva price for one tape.

In that block of shops the newsagents was Temples and nobody's mentioned another old timer....Marshall and Hancocks the ironmongers.