radford1920.jpg

This map dated 1920 show what changes have taken place in Radford over the years.

In 1965 I lived near the Northeast corner of Norton Street/Hartley Road.

(in this map north is left) The south east corner at that time was mostly waste land with a big old house.

The map shows other buildings, can anyone tell me what they were or when they were demolished? Walking along Norton street from Hartley Road toward Independant street, the Large penultimate building on the left, I believe was some kind of church hall were the Bucket Bashers used to meet.

What are your memories of these long demolished areas?

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This map dated 1920 show what changes have taken place in Radford over the years. In 1965 I lived near the Northeast corner of Norton Street/Hartley Road. (in this map north is left) The south east

Bet that was some hen night?

When was Orange street pulled down? From what I have seen there is only a Orange gardens now. My granfather was born there ad the family lived there until about 1918, they then moved to 160 Colwick Ro

Posted Images

!rulez! Never realised that it was situated behind the St Peters church, i thought it was farther down where the pit was.

When i worked for John Players at Radford the site once occupied by the folly was a factory belonging to John Players we called it the Box factory it was the place where all the large empty wooden crates went to be broken up, also i use to park my motor bike in there too.

• 2 years later...

I was actually born in 1967 but I am very iterested in the radford area as my great gran [died in the 50s] was a Emily Hughes who owned a few properties on Forster street where she had a funeral parlour. This was number 24 I believe and has since been demolished. I am also interested in a property that she also owned which was called Bramcote house on Bramcote street this was demolished I don't know when but there are few 1970s built houses in that part now. Does anyone know anything about this or my great gran? Her son] in law [my granfather born in 1900 lived on Orange street, meadows] had a wet fish shop onDenman Street towards the top. The building is still there and is a 3 story terrace. with a lofted garage/stable behind. This was about 1946/48. He apparently did a roaring trade of fish fresh from grimsby and also rabbits and game which my gran prepared i the loft of garage building.Can any oe help with anything here?

I remember the wet fish shop with the open front, sure it belonged to skills? we used to go in there after a swim at Radford baths to buy sixpenny woth of shrimps wrapped in a brown paper cone.

Hi Mariag. Orange St was halfway along Arkwright St on the western side. There was a petrol station at the top of the St and a tyre fitting place on the street, the houses would have been terraced either 2 or 3 bedrooms.

Was Skills wet fish shop on Ilkeston road? on the left going down the hill.

Hi Mariag. Orange St was halfway along Arkwright St on the western side. There was a petrol station at the top of the St and a tyre fitting place on the street, the houses would have been terraced either 2 or 3 bedrooms.

Was Skills wet fish shop on Ilkeston road? on the left going down the hill.

When was Orange street pulled down? From what I have seen there is only a Orange gardens now. My granfather was born there ad the family lived there until about 1918, they then moved to 160 Colwick Road which that number is now missing... My granfathers wet fish shop wasn't on ilkeston Road but definately o Denman street. The building is still there opposite a butchers shop. The shop looks proper run down last time I saw it. It was next door to the corner shop which is still there. Not sure if it was called Skills. Our name was Spurr.

Have posted this before but as you have replied to the above can I please pick your brains further... My materal great grandmother named EMILY hughes lived on Forster street no. 24 she was the undertaker along with her son Samuel She also owned other houses on that street [since been knocked down]. She also at one time owned a house on Bramcote street called Bramcote House this to my dismay has been replaced by some moderner buildings. Does anyone know this building? Emily Hughes had a friend nearby called Mrs. Brothers who was deaf who my uncle as a very young boy had to run erands for. Emily Hughes would prepare all the bodies of the dead and have them on display in her front room. I beleieve she died sometime in the late 50 s maybe early 60's the business was then taken over by her fav. and one and only son Sam.

• Upvote 1

There were two Skills shops, top of Denman Street near Boden Street was the wetfish shop, and going up Ilkeston Road on the right, Im all confused now cos the missus is adamant that that one was a Skills chippy, the wetfish shop facing the Jolly Higglers belonged to Wealthalls next to May & Bobs chippy, the Wealthalls also had a greengrocers/wetfish at the end of Radford Boulevard near the Le Grand, most of the Wealthall sons are now market traders.

Mariag, Skills was very close to the baths at the top of Denman St, there was another wetfish shop between Birds chemist and Bacon Brothers butchers (spots) near the Boulevard, it was called 'the old Radford fisheries, fish & game shop', was it maybe that one?

There were two Skills shops, top of Denman Street near Boden Street was the wetfish shop, and going up Ilkeston Road on the right, Im all confused now cos the missus is adamant that that one was a Skills chippy, the wetfish shop facing the Jolly Higglers belonged to Wealthalls next to May & Bobs chippy, the Wealthalls also had a greengrocers/wetfish at the end of Radford Boulevard near the Le Grand, most of the Wealthall sons are now market traders.

Mariag, Skills was very close to the baths at the top of Denman St, there was another wetfish shop between Birds chemist and Bacon Brothers butchers (spots) near the Boulevard, it was called 'the old Radford fisheries, fish & game shop', was it maybe that one?

I am confused I am only 40 ad have never lived round there. When my uncle came up we went to look at the shop that was. It is now derelect. I don't know where the radford baths were. When we went to see the shop up the road from it was newer buildings so I think that that end must've been pulled down. I went across the road to ask the butchers shop [can't remember its name] and they had been there donkeys years d they recalled my grandads shop. My uncle only remembered living there a few years he thinksthey had the shop until he was maybe 6 or 7 then they moved to radcliffe on trent [must have done alright out of the shop] What are skills shops?I am going to phone my uncle later to rack his brains. My own father [died a few years ago] was 2 years younger than my uncle and had little recollection of this shop..

Any memories of Forster Street? Or maybe I am going back too far....

Also whoever posted that map do you have the bits to the right (Towards 'The Raleigh' and Lenton church ) please?

I am confused I am only 40 ad have never lived round there. When my uncle came up we went to look at the shop that was. It is now derelect. I don't know where the radford baths were. When we went to see the shop up the road from it was newer buildings so I think that that end must've been pulled down. I went across the road to ask the butchers shop [can't remember its name] and they had been there donkeys years d they recalled my grandads shop. My uncle only remembered living there a few years he thinksthey had the shop until he was maybe 6 or 7 then they moved to radcliffe on trent [must have done alright out of the shop] What are skills shops?I am going to phone my uncle later to rack his brains. My own father [died a few years ago] was 2 years younger than my uncle and had little recollection of this shop..

Any memories of Forster Street? Or maybe I am going back too far....

Been on the phone to my uncle and he said that the wet fish shop they had wasright near to Garfield road [there garage with loft is on that road] This was in late 40s early 50s. They oly did game at xmas time....

Orange St in the Meadows was demolished in the early seventies. Skills owned a large coach company, toy shops and several other outlets.

Do you kow what type of houses were in Orange street in 1900 as my grandfather was one of 8...lso I did know Skills the coach company but didn't realise that they had other concerns!!!!

Wasn't the coach company on Wollaton street ?( We went on a day trip with them to Crich tram museum, when we got there it was closed on Mondays (Always had apparently) Did the coach turn around and come back ? noway (The driver might have had his pay stopped) we were left to wander hither and thither ,including climbing the monument.

When we got back my mum was the only one to complain. Compensation ? free trip? money off vouchers? none of the above, Bu99er all. Infact the cheeky sod said something along the lines of "Would you believe it, we ran a trip to ************** the other day and that was closed too!!"

Didn't Skill's have their booking office/head office on Alfreton Road, and also ran a toy/modelling shop next door?

Cheers

Robt P.

Skills toy shop on Alfreton Road, was on the same side and just below Forest Road

The toy shop was a single story with a gated yard to the right.

Next to that was a newsagent but the name escapes me Next was a small electronics shop tha sold Sinclair stuff.

An then was there a pub on the left corner of Forest Road/Alfreton Road. There was certainly a pub on the right hand corner.

(Skills toy shop can be seen on the first map above one building down Alfreton Road from forest road.)

Yes, close to the top of Peveril Street, I think Wollaton Street was a pick up point.

Peveril Street was the other road that my addled brain was struggling with...thanks for that!

Cheers

Robt P.

Do you mean the Forest Hotel Mick? was the other one the Queens hotel? on the other side facing Skills was the Windmill.

I can remember for many years they still had the disused petrol pump that read 4/9d!! in the mid 70s.

Skills toy shop on Alfreton Road, was on the same side and just below Forest Road

Thanks for confirmation Mick...

More than fifty years ago, I recall saving up five bob and buying two Hornby-Dublo model railway wagons [the canine testicles of their day] from there! Still the proud owner of one of 'em - 'mint in box', as they say.

Reckon I could eBay it, and go off on a nice cruise with the proceeds...

Cheers

Robt P.

So there were (or are) two pubs, Yes I remember the windmill pub.

In the early 60s a Coop temporary prefabricated shop stood, before the built the supermarket further up Alfreton Road (Now gone perhaps?)

Which reminds me can anyone remember the Wooden police station, next to the Drill Hall car park, before they built Canning Circus Police Station?

The pick up point was Wollaton street (have you got any more of that map Mick? to the right if possible)

• 5 months later...

bacon2.jpg