Media and people rave about the same old musicians and bands,but I hold a torch for two blokes that seem to get little recognition:

Terry Reid: a phenomenal guitarist and innovator.

Russ Ballard: great axeman and songwriter.

Anyone else got an unsung hero?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've not given this any thought but one name that came to me was John Mayall. He's done so much for the UK's Blues scene over many years and brought on many Bluesmen through his band, The Bluesbreaker

My Dad

Aunty. Ooops, I thought I was on the Word Game.

I've not given this any thought but one name that came to me was John Mayall. He's done so much for the UK's Blues scene over many years and brought on many Bluesmen through his band, The Bluesbreakers. If you look him up on Wickipedia you'll see the first words as: John Mayall, OBE (born 29 November 1933) is an English blues singer, guitarist, organist and songwriter, whose musical career spans over fifty years. In the 1960s, he was the founder of John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, a band which has counted among its members some of the most famous blues and blues rock musicians. They include Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Jack Bruce, John McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Mick Taylor, Don "Sugarcane" Harris, Harvey Mandel, Larry Taylor, Aynsley Dunbar, Hughie Flint, Jon Hiseman, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Andy Fraser, Johnny Almond, Walter Trout, Coco Montoya and Buddy Whittington.

It's an impressive list, isn't it? You may, like me, not like everything he's done but he's recorded some great Blues music over the years.

Oh, one other person is my wife who's given me a great life for so many years now. I'm now trying to keep her life as happy as I can as she fights to get well again.

Just one more before I end my post, Santa Claus. He brings so much love and joy to so many children. If you read this, Santa, I'm not creeping, honest, but try and get me everything that's on my list. :biggrin:

• Upvote 4

Also not given it much thought, but John Renbourn, who always seemed to be in the shadow of Bert Jansch, but for me was a better player.

And Nic Jones whose career was seriously messed up by a car crash. Just listen to the intensity/sensitivity and sheer musicality of this guitar work.

Nic Jones. Canadee I O

And this:

Obviously I'm not in favour of whaling now..

Col

Gary Grainger.

Back in the early 1970s, I saw a band called Strider at Nottm Uni. Apart from the fact that they were so loud I thought my ears were about to bleed, their guitarist was bloody good. So much so that i bought their debut album, which I still have.

He went on to do some work with some old tart called Rod Stewart, amongst others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Grainger

Oh, and Roy Harper. Seriously under-rated.

Andy Fraser and Robin Trower

From the US, Billy Joe Shaver and Rodney Crowell.

Tim Rose & Victor Brox

Luther Grosvenor ex Spooky Tooth

good old wally..........ex boxer..ex rotherham..........good old fashioned centre forud,...dont make em like that anymore.............