Nostalgia of Old Nottingham

I am a new member. I was born and grew up in Sneinton thru the 40's moving to St Anns in 1954. I went to Windmill Lane School and Sneinton Boulevard. in 1961 I joined the RAF and wandered around a good bit. I returned to Nottm and into Bakersfield 1986. But the Nottm I knew had gone. I went abroad to Oman for 15 years until I retired. Now I live in Wiltshire. But I still miss the Nottm that was.

David B

Hello David B and welcome to the forum. You may remember my late Dad and his brothers as they were born and raised on ' Skippo' Circus during the late thirties, forties and fifties, John ( my Dad ) George ( being the oldest ) Frank and David ( being the youngest ) Gibbins....

Welcome David

Once a Nottingham person always a Nottingham person.

Welcome to Nottstalgia David. On this forum you will be among lots of people who never tire of learning and talking about Nottingham. I'm sure you will enjoy having your memories jogged. Windmill Lane and that area, feature heavily in my family tree in the 1800s, but most of the addresses in my tree have now long gone. Have fun. :)

Welcome to Nottstalgia David. I am not from the Sneinton area of Nottingham, but I did spend time in Oman.

When and where in Oman were you? I was in Oman for 8 years in the 80's. My husband worked for PDO and we lived on the Ras Al Hamra camp just up the road from Ruwi. My daughter went back there a few years ago while she was in the RAF to see where she was born as she was only 3 when we left and didn't remember much about it, her photos showed a great change in the country.

darkazana

Hi darkazana

I went out to Oman in late 87 with Airwork. (Contracted to Omani Airforce) I spent a short time at Thumrait before moving on to Masirah Island. Then I was back to Thumrait in 93 with Airwork/Vinnel (later Dyncorp) this time contracted to United States Airforce ) and was there until I retired in 2005. The only time I went to Ruwi other than driving thru was to visit a Souk. Was your daughter at Seeb?

A story I will share; The Sultan decreed that all Western Companies would employ at least 20% Omani's. However they just did not have the work ethic of Europeans and in many cases they were simply a liability. We worked a six day week but I had one Omani who never put in more than three days. After five or six weeks I pulled him into the office and asked him why he came to work only three days. His reply; 'Three days money is enough,sir.'

• Upvote 1

Hello David B and welcome to the forum. You may remember my late Dad and his brothers as they were born and raised on ' Skippo' Circus during the late thirties, forties and fifties, John ( my Dad ) George ( being the oldest ) Frank and David ( being the youngest ) Gibbins....

Hi Gibbo,

Went to school with a lad called Gibson who we called Gibbo. ButI I think he lived Colwick road area. several of my class mates at Boulevard lived up Skipton.

I lived in what was known at that time the bottle-neck. The road narrowed so much that buses could not pass.

Thanks everybody for the Welcome.

I lived in what was known as the Bottle Neck on Sneinton Dale. The road was too narrow for buses to pass. Next door to us was a little cake shop and then a Veg shop Mr Bingham. (Does anybody remember him?) He was a real gentleman. I was a very young boy and he would challenge me to a tuppenny bet on Forest. He would always give me the draw and it was the time when Forest ran away with the old Third Division South. (days of Ardron Capel Collindridge Gager etc) They could not have lost more then three of four games the whole season. But he knew that. I suppose the teasing was probably worth tuppence to him. Its all gone now the road was widened a petrol station sprung up and i'm told that too has gone and new houses built.

The old Windmill, a good few yards away but just about facing, burned down. But I didn't see it. We were on holiday in Chapel St Leonards Big surprise when we got back and saw the shell. But after that it was yet another adventure place to play. Even that.s gone now. Replaced by a new looking Greens Windmill

What a wonderful place Sneinton was for a young boy to grow up in. Colwick Woods. The old disused Inner City Railway. Mounts and then the Trent not too far away. Does anybody remember the old Pleasure Park at the end of Trent Lane?

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia David. On this forum you will be among lots of people who never tire of learning and talking about Nottingham. I'm sure you will enjoy having your memories jogged. Windmill Lane and that area, feature heavily in my family tree in the 1800s, but most of the addresses in my tree have now long gone. Have fun. :)

Hi Carni,

My heritage in the area are Swift's and Wainman's. Don't suppose they cross at any point

David, there's lots of posts regarding the Pleasure Park on Nottstalgia. Just type 'Pleasure Park' in the Search box at the top right hand side of the page. Make sure you click on the 'This Topic' and change it to 'Forums'. You can search any topics by doing this.

I must warn you that once you start you'll be hooked. :biggrin:

Thanks everybody for the Welcome.

I lived in what was known as the Bottle Neck on Sneinton Dale. The road was too narrow for buses to pass. Next door to us was a little cake shop and then a Veg shop Mr Bingham. (Does anybody remember him?) He was a real gentleman.

So this might come as a bit of a surprise and / or shock. This is your Sneinton Dale bottleneck, and the name above the shop to the right of the bus (where the two ladies are standing) is clearly visible as Bingham !

sneintondale.jpg

• Upvote 3