A rest is as good as change!!

interesting that dave,as the article states the only drawback i see is the charities missing out,and in cafe's and bars the staff and their tips,

• Upvote 1

That's very true Benjamin. I must admit If I get 1p and 2p coins in my change it goes in a charity box if there is one handy or I add it to other coinage to buy a newspaper.

Had to laugh here when small change was virtually impossible to find they would give you sweets or shoe laces instead of change. One day my husband was so fed up of receiving shoe laces ( in wrong colour) from the local newsagent that he put all the shoelaces together to pay for his paper. The shop keeper just glared at him and asked him what he was playing at. Hubby replied if they are good enough for you to give them as change they are good enough to buy a newspaper. He never did it again.

• Upvote 6

Coming back from scotland the other week I hadsome coppers in my bag. They were bulky and heavy, I had to get rid of them. I thought I would get another pack of paracetomol ( they are expensive here) 16p I was 1 p short when I opened my purse and counted out the coppers. The cashier saw I had £20 & 10 s and said she could change that. I wanted to get rid of them not accumulate them. I ended up putting them , plus into cancer research. A more intelligent choice.

Charities for small change is good. When I put petrol in the car I always do multiples of ten quid but go 2p under to save me going over and having to scramble for pennies. I always put the change in the charity tin.

I keep all my cents in a jar and when the grandchildren want to "work" I Try to pay them in cents but they want whole euros. Probably takethem to the bank to change.

I am amazed Tesco's attitude to small change as their slogan is "every little helps"! In some supermarkets I have seen change machines where you can put in small change and get out larger value coins but you do not get the full value of what you put in. I see a lot of people using them! More money than sense?

Boycotting Tesco as from now,here in Tipp,cashiers are no longer giving brown coins in your change..if you are due a penny or twopence.. you have to go to customer service!!!

Surely that is pretty close to theft?

I'd be inclined to say ' You want £5:43p?' I'll give you £5:40 and you can go to my Customer Service dept for the rest.

Cheeky B%^&^$ds!!

Col

I put all of my 20 p coins in a bag in the car to pay for parking if necessary and for the odd small purchase if I've forgotten my wallet. If they get to about £30 I'll stick them in my music/hi/fi fund.

Everything else under 50p goes in a tin and a couple of times a year I bag it all up and take it to the bank. The bank will usually provide cash bags FOC and accept reasonable amounts of change. I just pay it into my 'slush' fund for hi-fi or other purchases outside of household stuff.

That way I'm not fazed by chucking a few quid at good causes when the mood takes my.

I refuse to use those 'Coinstar' machines. Last time I looked they were grabbing 12.5% just for counting YOUR money.

Everybody is on the take.

Col

It works both ways, if something costs you ex: £2.91 then it is rounded up to £2.95......... and if it cost £2.99 then it is rounded down to £ 2.95. that's how the system works in Sweden and has done for donkeys years.

So its swings and round-abouts and works fine. Can't see a problem

Some of the pop bottles had already been reclaimed. The pub in Bulwell Market, by the station, kept their empties in an arch under Highbury Road, and we could easily climb over into the arch and nick the bottles to re-reclaim them.