George Best

Managed to ruin two livers (just saying)

I had a mate who had a new liver installed due to drinking. Afterwards he was secretly drinking until he cocked up, he was a landlord and had gone out with the pool team. Unfortunately for him his missus, who had been to darts with the girls, popped in to see how the pool team were doing and copped him rolling all over the shop. She battered him mercilessly in front of his mates. I'm not sure if he stopped drinking as they left the pub a few weeks later.

George Best, moved from his family and country at the age of 15 to persue his dreams of a life playing football. He went to one of the biggest football clubs in the World and began to earn more money than he could ever of dreamt about. He then goes on to earn millions of pounds and live a life that any red blooded male could ever dream about. Eventually, it all caught up with him and, like many other footballers of that era, alcoholism took over his life. It's such a shame because he always came across as a really nice chap and, I'm sure we'd all agree, became one of the greatest footballers we'd ever seen and are likely to see.

It's hard to believe that it was ten years ago, the time has passed so quickly.

• Upvote 1

read lots about him,seen him play.........and actualy met him once.......great great player........and nice bloke

Me too Benjamin, went to the same Manchester clubs ....

He was sometimes a lost boy in a pool of sharks....the pressure from the Manchester " business fraternity " in opening Edwardia and later Slack Alice was too much for him.....he also had a genetic link to alcoholism, losing his mum to the illness........

George it was a priviledge to meet you and watch you play football .....xx

• Upvote 2

lost boy among sharks hippo girl like it,when i met him he was playing for fulham and he was in a players lounge,the only one not drinking,he was looking for a quiet place away from the bar and you could tell he did'nt want to be there among all the back slappers,but he had to wait for the others,he found me in a quiet corner and asked if i minded him joining me,i was over the moon but tried not to show it,we had aconversation for about 5 mins,then he shook my hand and was gone..........bless him.

• Upvote 3

There's ALWAYS been an over abundance of back slappers, hangers on, parasites, ego maniacs, greedy agents and other assorted creeps in football, and it's even worse since the formation of the Premiership. Ugh. Game of the people.... My 4rse !

Lost boy among sharks.... Sounds like me with the out laws!

• Upvote 3

On holiday in Spain who should walk by (worse for drink) was George, he sat down on a wall and tried to put his plimsole's on master was a great fan of George and ask if he would like him to put his shoes on for him, after, George went on his way, but next morning he sat in the same place on the wall, and offerd to by master a coffee.

Master was so happy he never stopped smiling. When we returned home every one was told the story and to prove it we have a photo with us and George.

R.I.P GEORGE

• Upvote 1

Had it all and threw it away, drink is the sign of a selfish person..................He was a great footballer and a looker too, but unfortunately fame went to his head and he thought he was god and could do anything, have anything and anybody he wanted, the women he got involved with did him no good either, gold diggers, a shame no one could help him with his demons, they would have started in his childhood the same with Gazza...........May George Rest in Peace..........

The "Job" of looking after him was in the remit of United as he was very young when he joined them.

In that sense United let him down

May be with a little care he may & I say may be still with us today.

• Upvote 1

can't recall where i read it,...........but he was asked 'where did it all go wrong george?'..............at the time he was in a top hotel drinking champagne after spending the night with miss world,...................what.!!

And he had £1,000 in notes on the bed.

Yes, that's the story I heard......... Hard life being a footballer isn't it.

BTW, it was Nickey Shorey, the full back we should have signed, that I was telling you about the other week.

Mores the pity. Who knows where we would be now.