One sunny afternoon me & a couple of other lads decided to nick off. (play truant) We were sauntering down a road in West Bridgford when a ford zephyr pulled up at the side of us: It was Mr Marciniak, he said "get in" which we did, as he drove us back to Trent Bridge school he said "you'll be sorry!" & we were sorry as we got a good caning when we got back. First & only time I've nicked off & I got caught, not very good at it am I? :)

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is why you are so well behaved, Colly, and have disciplined your mind to ponder the intricacies of such esoteric subjects as quantum physics!   I have no children either and can honestl

One sunny afternoon me & a couple of other lads decided to nick off. (play truant) We were sauntering down a road in West Bridgford when a ford zephyr pulled up at the side of us: It was Mr Marcin

One particular time, sitting on the wall in the middle of Market Square, puffing away on Park Drives 1962/3, two giggling teenage girl truants were spotted and chased by a policeman (Could have been

I never played truant in all my schooldays & only missed about ten days due to illness

It didn't do me much good though..........................still I'm happily retired & not too badly off so I suppose I shouldn't complain. :)

• Upvote 2

I was too scared, cane off the teacher and probably a size 10 boot up the rear end from Dad.

Played hooky from work though a fair few times on nights.

• Upvote 2

One particular time, sitting on the wall in the middle of Market Square, puffing away on Park Drives 1962/3, two giggling teenage girl truants were spotted and chased by a policeman (Could have been Tug Wilson).

The girls ran and jumped laughing on to one of the buses lined up across the road from the square.Thinking they had got away with it. Until, the policeman stopped the bus, made them get off and gave them a good lecture in front of everyone. He wrote down the School address, their names and told them to get to school! The girls told him that they had only done it the once, but didn't mention that the once lasted a whole week before they got caught. Silly Billies.

I do believe they played hooky one more time, but that's another story! They got caught that time anawl! :biggrin:

• Upvote 5

Marciniak was Polish. He used to do the Saturday School at the Polish church/club which my wife was forced to attend in the early 1960s, along with most of her generation of children of Poles. He was very well thought-of in the Polish community.

Serves you right for getting caught noblue

That's what Dad used to say, his moto was:"Doesn't matter what you do as long as you don't get caught!" My trouble was I usually did get caught & got a tanned backside for the crime. Ah well never mind eh. :)

• Upvote 1

Talking of getting caught: I was on an exercise on Thetford training range, we'd got to walk 10 miles with full kit on our own & not team up with others. I teamed up with 2 others & we hired a taxi to drop us off a mile away from the finish line, we planned to come in feigning exhaustion. As the taxi drove off a voice came out of the bush's saying "I hope you gave the driver a good tip!" It was the Sergeant-Major, my heart sank into my shoes, I got the biggest beasting I've ever had & banned from the Naafi for a week & extra guard duty. When I told Dad he said "serves you right for getting caught!" :)

#18 Bubblewrap.

The Sergeant-Major is a good friend now & we laugh about the good old days. I used to see his daughter but dared not tell him. He says he now wishes I'd married her as the bloke she did marry was a violent scumbag. Funny old world init!

Never would have dared play truant at school, my mum would have killed me !

Later in life while attending peoples college on day release, we sussed out that only 60% attendance was needed to complete the course.

One particular subject in the afternoon was very boring so every 3rd release day me and a couple of work colleagues used to take the afternoon off to go to the Odeon if there was a good flick on.

So I suppose that in reality was playing truant. We never got caught or deducted any pay either.

The good old days of Post Office engineering.

Playing truant was known as 'playing nick' or 'nicking off' at Trent Bridge. When we moved to Bestwood Village & I went to Beardall St in Hucknall it was known as 'twagging it.' Also heard of 'hooky' as John said. What did others call truancy? Punishment for 'nicking off' was always the cane at TB..

Bunking off was another term.....we did it now and again at the Technical, Textile school in Nottingham, used to go around the shops during lunch break then sit all afternoon at the Capucci's cafe or the little cafe which was on Sneinton Market back in the late fifties, a lovelly, friendly couple owned it, we had fun with them and their toddler daughter was always with them..... They had a juke box playing all the latest records for free, wonder where they are now ?