Never played truant in my life. The thought never crossed my mind, despite loathing FFGS with a vengeance.

I was late back in an afternoon a couple of times after cycling to the old Carrington Station for a bit of lunchtime spotting.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is why you are so well behaved, Colly, and have disciplined your mind to ponder the intricacies of such esoteric subjects as quantum physics!   I have no children either and can honestl

One sunny afternoon me & a couple of other lads decided to nick off. (play truant) We were sauntering down a road in West Bridgford when a ford zephyr pulled up at the side of us: It was Mr Marcin

One particular time, sitting on the wall in the middle of Market Square, puffing away on Park Drives 1962/3, two giggling teenage girl truants were spotted and chased by a policeman (Could have been

Played truant just the once and got caught.

I was in 5th year, just before 'O' Levels and it was Games afternoon so a few of us decided to have a party round at this lad's house in Gedling, not far from school. We didn't think we'd be missed ........ wrong assumption unfortunately. There were too many of us absent. I'd lied and said I had a dental appointment but still got punished when we were caught. Detention and a letter home for parents to sign and return. I spent ages trying to forge my Dad's signature but came clean in the end and told my Mum (but not Dad!).

The boys got the cane, ouch!

• Upvote 2

I must have been boring cos I never played truant - never crossed my mind. I liked school anyway and none of my friends ever spoke about playing truant, so I suppose that's why.

Not literally I hope Lizzie. LOL

EMGAS sacked any apprentice who missed Tech day release or night school unless you had a cast iron alibi.

Well yes and no as you know it was a long day at People's College and after the day with Les Dover we had to do a night stint after the canteen break of Beans in toast,I will be honest and say I missed a few ,I was also on the strike committee(HALF A DAY THE ONLY ONE) that met with management that led to the end of clocking in.I can still remember the panic at the clocking in clock as it was 7.47am and when it ticked over to 7.48am the time on your card (my numbers 283 then 132) turned RED and 15 minutes pay docked.......

Playing truant was known as 'playing nick' or 'nicking off' at Trent Bridge.

"Playing nick" was the phrase which was always used on Clifton. I never heard it called anything else. If anyone had used "Truant" they would have been laughed at for being posh and upmarket.

• Upvote 1

I agree CliffTon, it was exactly the same at our school. In #9 I used the word "Hookey". Don't ask me why, I have never said that word for "Truant" before? I must be watching to much Tele! Must add that to another thread. :biggrin:

"Thanks Dave, I knew it would be American. I Say, that there Urban Dictionary certainly opens your eyes for you . Don't read if easily embarrassed" yada If I read something on there, I have to look it up somewhere else to see what it means :blush: Then I still don't know. Oh what a sheltered life I lead? :unsure:

• 3 years later...

Was dreaming last night I'd been caught playing nick (truant) & was about to be caned: I woke up & slowly remembered I am a fully grown up adult (wife disagrees with me claiming to be grown up though) & no one will ever cane me again. It seemed so real, can't remember which teacher was going to dish out the beats though, hope it wasn't Marciniak as it would have really hurt if he did it, lol...

• Like 1

I sympathise, Colly. At least twice a month, I'm back at the Manning, wandering round the quads, trying to get out. I explain that I'm almost 62, semi retired, a fully qualified teacher and it's time they let me go! Doesn't seem to work! The place no longer exists save in my nightmares!

• Like 1

I never played truant because I liked school and had lots of friends there, who never played truant either.   It was bad enough when I was occasionally ill and had to catch up on what I'd missed.   Photocopiers hadn't  been Invented so we had to borrow someone's exercise book and copy everything out longhand.  

School  was generally interesting and fun... it's being co-ed helped as well!  ;)

Just the once for me too.  ‘O’ Level year, one of the boys had an empty house as his parents were away.  It was Games afternoon so thought we’d get away with being AWOL, although I told school I had a dental appointment because, believe it or not I was never known to miss Games... ever.  The problem was that too many of us 16 year old boys and girls were missing on that afternoon and we got sussed.  All hauled in front of the Head next day and given letters to take home to our parents.  I was really worried, sat in my bedroom for hours trying to forge my Dad’s signature and in the end confessed to Mum who sorted it and signed the letter to take back to school.   It was fun (and innocent) and we still laugh about it as I still see some of those schoolfriends, 53 years later.  

• Like 3

More at the boys house than in the class. Not a good idea ! 

Never played truant, but several early departures and late arriving !

I did skip several piano lessons on Saturday mornings though, and nip to Vic station instead !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1