• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is why you are so well behaved, Colly, and have disciplined your mind to ponder the intricacies of such esoteric subjects as quantum physics!   I have no children either and can honestl

One sunny afternoon me & a couple of other lads decided to nick off. (play truant) We were sauntering down a road in West Bridgford when a ford zephyr pulled up at the side of us: It was Mr Marcin

One particular time, sitting on the wall in the middle of Market Square, puffing away on Park Drives 1962/3, two giggling teenage girl truants were spotted and chased by a policeman (Could have been

Actually, Trogg, the consequences would probably have been expulsion! I'd have liked that...but my parents would have been mortified.

Around the fifth form, a girl in my form disappeared. She wasn't at school and wasn't at home either. She would be 15 or 16 at this time and those who knew her reported that she was involved with a chap who was years older than she. The gossip was that they had run off together.

It wasn't unusual for girls to disappear if expelled, although staff never spoke their names again. This particular girl, however, was mentioned and we were asked to keep a look out for her, as her parents were extremely worried. She did eventually return and we never discovered the truth about the incident. Perhaps she just couldn't stand the place any longer and took off. She appears on our fifth form photo and sat her O levels, unlike another girl I knew in the parallel form who was found to be with child and unceremoniously kicked out only days before exams commenced, despite the pleas of her parents for clemency.

Not allowing the pregnant teenager to sit her O Levels is very wrong... I'm pleased that schools are more compassionate now!

• Like 2

I had known the girl concerned for years as we went to Sunday school together although we didn't attend the same primary school.  It was said that she had been brought before the head mistress at Manning who asked her the identity of the baby's father. The girl said she didn't know. This was taken to mean that there was more than one putative candidate!

Pregnancies were not unknown among Manning girls, although they were usually sixth formers. The policy was that offenders were not permitted to continue their education on the premises.

Jill, she may have been protecting someone... ... when a family member or family friend is involved,  children at that time may have been reluctant to give any names, because children weren't always believed when they made such allegations and family loyalty was still important even in cases like that.    I'm pleased that things are more out in the open  now and children are listened to.

..... or maybe  she had had sex with more than one person!  

Knowing the bragging, boasting and outright storytelling spotty youths did in my school days  I'd say multiple partners would not have remained a secret for very long.

• Upvote 1

It has crossed my mind that she may have been the victim of a family member, Margie. After the years I have worked in child protection, nothing surprises me. Just because her family were church goers does not mean they were not capable of abuse: over the years, I have seen more evidence to the contrary than I care to remember and that includes members of the clergy.

Whatever became of her...and I neither saw her nor heard anything further about her...I hope she was able to continue her education if that is what she wanted to do.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, FLY2 said:

More at the boys house than in the class. Not a good idea ! 

Never played truant, but several early departures and late arriving !

I did skip several piano lessons on Saturday mornings though, and nip to Vic station instead !

Wish I'd taken piano lessons now.  I think keyboard skills seem to come much easier to kids.

My dad offered to pay for piano lessons for me, but I wasn't having any.  I think school generally put me off.  I didn't want any additional classes of any kind.  Never understood piano could be fun or even a possible source of income.

Too bad that we don't seem to value learning until we are too old.

I sure didn't turn down driving lessons, but I had to pay for 'em myself.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, MargieH said:

Not allowing the pregnant teenager to sit her O Levels is very wrong... I'm pleased that schools are more compassionate now!

When I worked as an SNT with older pupils I was often asked to mentor the girls who were pregnant during exams.  I agree with you Margie in saying that schools realise whatever the circumstances pupils must be allowed to continue with their education.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

On an Australian soap my Wife watches there is a totally obnoxious horrible kid who does the most despicable things with & smug look on his clock, he said "I know they cant do anything about it!" & Erensborough High school is at a loss what to do with him.  It frustrates me to watch it as I know in my day he'd have received  a very sore backside. I know it's fiction but things like this must happen in real life...

• Like 1

There is/was a saying 'spare the rod and spoil the child'. It is as true now as it ever was. Here (in France) children know their place in society and behave accordingly. It is very rare to see misbehaving children as they know the consequences of bad behaviour. 

Not having children myself leaves me as a slight disadvantage in not being fully au fait with local regulations but, I do know that erring behaviour is met with an appropriate response and that is not the offer of a lollipop. 

• Like 3

A while ago a neighours kid was throwing his ball near the window: his Mam said "don't do that, you might break the window,!" He carried on, then she said "right that's it!" & I thought "ooh, now he's going to get a biffing!" But she started counting = 1,2,3, etc & that was it. If my Mam had said "don't do that!" & I did, a biffing would have followed straight away...

That is why you are so well behaved, Colly, and have disciplined your mind to ponder the intricacies of such esoteric subjects as quantum physics!

I have no children either and can honestly say the desire for offspring has never entered my head. However, if there had been any, they would have been immaculately behaved otherwise I'd have given them away. In fact, I'd probably have done that anyway! :wacko:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I was not a frequent truant and it was usually missing a last lesson, pop out of side gate and into Saltwell Park.  My mistake was messing around falling into park lake and breaking my wrist I had had a good imagination but nothing I could come up with was remotely plausible. In later years used to preach to those in my care that playing truant was unacceptable.

Just thought we really weren't that bright we were very noticeable being the only ones in a school uniform....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 10/17/2019 at 12:40 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

That is why you are so well behaved, Colly, and have disciplined your mind to ponder the intricacies of such esoteric subjects as quantum physics!

I have no children either and can honestly say the desire for offspring has never entered my head. However, if there had been any, they would have been immaculately behaved otherwise I'd have given them away. In fact, I'd probably have done that anyway! :wacko:

I have no kids either, been out with a couple of girls who had kids but they'd drive me loopy after a while. Got a mental cat called Pix who drives me loopy though, lol...

• Like 2