• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Freddie Mills annual with autograph, presented to me after boxing tournament for Grundy School of Boxing Radford. Mills was found dead in his car in 1965, a bullet hole in his head and a shotgun betw

Bro, I was with mam when we were walking through Battersea Park and I remember him walking towards us and mam saying in her best BBC voice, [that she usually saved for answering the phone] Hello Fredd

Oh yes, they were very proud of Ingemar Johansson, and also the fact they beat England at football around 1959, never heard the end of that all the 27 years I lived there. I met Ingemar Johansson si

looking forward to it,and like you say ian 'a good match'............klitschko getting on a bit,but tyson has a bit of a 'glass chin'......should be interesting,like to see fury win,.....under all his bluster he is a nice bloke.........and i like nice people.

john h stracey lovely boxer ian,..........if you are into boxing you know the difference between a fighter and boxer,..and john was of the latter a lovely boxer.

marvelous marvin,.........yes,i have so many favourites,he was amonst them,......tommy hitman hearns,floyd patterson,rocky marciano (a fighter),i could go on,just love the game,and nottingham has a proud history in boxing.

Well done Fury. By the way does anyone remember Freddie Mills ? and me Dad used to talk about a Nottingham boxer called Wally Swift.

Apart from that I no nowt about boxing.

• Upvote 1

i remember my dad who loved boxing talking about freddie mills,i obviously also recall the nottingham boxer wally swift,used to serve his family at believe it or not 'marsdens' on lower parliament st early 60s lol.

and tompa' you lived in sweden do you recall them talking about 'ingemar johansson' who faught floyd patterson for the world title in the late 50s ?

• Upvote 1

Oh yes, they were very proud of Ingemar Johansson, and also the fact they beat England at football around 1959, never heard the end of that all the 27 years I lived there. unionflag

I met Ingemar Johansson sister a couple of times, she was married to a Judo friend of mine called Walter Pielage, he was Dutch but lived in Sweden.

Seem to remember being around Victoria Station when the news came through that Johansson had knocked out Patterson.

So I told them that England won the World championship in ice hockey 1936.... didn't go down too well. :jumping:

• Upvote 2

Freddie Mills annual with autograph, presented to me after boxing tournament for Grundy School of Boxing Radford.

Mills was found dead in his car in 1965, a bullet hole in his head and a shotgun between his legs. Officially recorded suicide although many people think the Krays were involved.

8be0e782-842f-4bfd-b4d7-a1cdbcb7db05_zps IMG_0944_zpsuewbhpnu.jpg?1448795897608&1

• Upvote 5

DING! DING!. "End of Round One; come in Barry".

"Well, it's the same old story of a good big 'un against a good little 'un......."

I remember mam telling me after a visit to London sometime in the 1960s, I think, that she was sitting in the Battersea Pleasure Gardens, where she saw and spoke to Freddie Mills. So carni, on Wednesday, if you sit next my wife you can say that you sat next to a woman whose husband's mother spoke to Freddie Mills.

• Upvote 1