Re: Chilwell barracks.

When did that place first come into existence? And where was the location of the Munitions Factory which exploded in 1918?

Just looked at the Old Maps website to see what the barracks area used to look like, and it doesn't show up on any of the old OS maps until around mid-1930s. I assumed it was older than that, but maybe it's only the factory which blew up which went back any further.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting maps there. These brought back a memory to me that I had forgotten about until now. One day, during my years at Fairham Comp (I think it was a Geography lesson) we were asked what t

Maps sold and at my asking price thanks to the forum

Nice to have a satisfied customer.   Not many members come back and tell us what they think of the service they've received. There's a shed-load of people out there who've made a couple of p

The Shell Filling Factory was started in 1915. The land was not previously developed. I would not expect maps of the 1914-18 era to be necesserily updated for military installations anyway.

I am not sure of the layout of the original factory, there is a memorial to the explosion sited to the north of Chetwynd Road inside the depot, I imagine the original factory was to the south of the memorial on the flatter land. Land to the north of Chetwynd Road rises sharply.

Hi Pete welcome to the site from someone who knows the Toton/chilwell/stapleford areas quite well.

Thanks very much Fynger and thank you for the most kind welcome. Have lived here all my life in Toton and seen many changes, but unfortunately not taken as many photos as I should have done myself! Although I have the memories of Toton and the surrounding areas, I love looking at old pics, maps and reading accounts of the area and indeed Nottingham as a whole. I guess this recent nostalgia burst has come from talking to a Toton resident, who has lived in the village for over 70 years and her memories have whetted my whistle for more. Once again, thanks for the kind welcome and look forward to corresponding soon.
  • 5 months later...

I'll be scanning the maps during winter when I have time, as the maps are rather large, I'll scan them from the north west to east as seperate pages for my website. I have the ones for deep soft, first workings, deep hard and the developments in the Parkgate seam.

The deep hard seam was well worked and takes in two maps.

When both Cotgrave and Clifton maps are scanned and uploads to my site, I'll post a link from here.

John

Hi again John

Did you ever scan those Cotgrave Mine Plans

cheers

Paul

Hi again John

Did you ever scan those Cotgrave Mine Plans

cheers

Paul

I know you can't put these on the screen BUT................ my local print shop can photo copy up to size 0 price about £3 50

A 0 is counted as a "Full" sheet of paper.

The size of your usual note pad is A4.

A 0 is the size of 16 sheets of A4

Therefore the scanner/copier can copy any map/chart up to that size as long as they are NOT in a book.

! have copied maps measuring 28"x40" (cost about £3.50)

This is a photo copy so there is no loss of detail.

P.S. all the maps I have copied are over 50 years old so there are no problems with copyrite

What is size O?

How would they be with copying maps?

If your "local" print shop does not have a scanner which can cope you are not to far from Loughborough so you could come here.

The print shop(not open Sat & Sun) is opposite "Beacon Bingo" about 10 minuets walk from the railway station.

If you have to wait there are one ore two nice pubs close.

Tanks for the info.

I may have a few maps you might like copies of.

I did manage to get both maps that cover each part of Long Eaton, I think thats 1800s

I only learned from that map that Hey St. Sawley, was actually a village called Hey Street!

Tanks for the info.

I may have a few maps you might like copies of.

I did manage to get both maps that cover each part of Long Eaton, I think thats 1800s

I only learned from that map that Hey St. Sawley, was actually a village called Hey Street!

I am only really interested in the city and places such as Gedling,Carlton & Arnold(some relitives lived there)thank you.

As mentioned before I lived in the Carlton/Gedling area untill I was 19 & am one or two maps of that area missing.

Not yet Paul, had many other things I had to attend to. I'll have a go scanning one later. It will be in sections though.

Here's the Deep Soft seam, these were the first faces they started cutting and abandoned the seam after that. The three main roads are shown with both pit bottoms. This was scanned last year some time.

CotgraveCollieryDeepSoft.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Whilst doing some family history research we came across a relative on the 1911 census living at 4a Albert St Bulwell,does anyone know of this street or have access to any old maps of Bulwell as I cannot find it on present day maps

Cheers

Wonder if the front room smells of Beer..........................not neccesarily a good thing..................

Not the most picturesque of views around ..............................., but plenty of parking!!