Are you refering to where parks corner doctors surgery is now? what was one carlton house i believe, before that, many moons before, iv been told the foundations where layed and it was planned to become a church. I miss the old house that they nocked down, could of easily been made into a doctors surgery, just like the one at the bottom of westdale lane.

Carlton House is at the end of mount Pleasant Road which is off Main Street between Southdale Road & Church Street.(St Paul's Church)

Park's Corner is/was at the junction of Burton Road,Gedling Road & Manor Road

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting maps there. These brought back a memory to me that I had forgotten about until now. One day, during my years at Fairham Comp (I think it was a Geography lesson) we were asked what t

Maps sold and at my asking price thanks to the forum

Nice to have a satisfied customer.   Not many members come back and tell us what they think of the service they've received. There's a shed-load of people out there who've made a couple of p

Carlton House is at the end of mount Pleasant Road which is off Main Street between Southdale Road & Church Street.(St Paul's Church)

Park's Corner is/was at th junction of Burton Road,Gedling Road & Manor Road

Oooh I see! I remember someone saying that the original building of parks corner was planned to be a church, no idea if it's true. I just know that the building before was a stunner, I remember going there once with my sister to to get my nephew weighed, we don't have enough of the original buildings these days! One of the things I like about netherfield is that there's still buildings from the 1800s (my house included! :) )

The Godfrey House on Dr Parks Corner was in my family, that was a massive house untill its shameful demolition in the mid 90's But i do remember the original Park House. Least they kept the stained glass from the windows.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, your correct taxi ray. I remembered the hotel as I was reading the topic and sent my post on the spur of the moment.

It sold for £226,000 according to the NEP website, thats quite a lot more than the guide price of £175,000

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have an old map showing Sun Hill St Annes, was told by a great aunt that it was somewhere opposite Hungerhill road behind the police station and the Sheppards race service station on the bottom of Ransom road.

Most of my mums family were listed there in a copy of an early census I got on Ancestry.com

Would love to know exactly where it was so I can fill in another gap.

Does anyone have an old map showing Sun Hill St Annes, was told by a great aunt that it was somewhere opposite Hungerhill road behind the police station and the Sheppards race service station on the bottom of Ransom road.

What years are we talking about? If it's described as being "behind Shepherd's Race", the Service Station at that location doesn't appear until around the early 1960s

Sorry I gave the police/service station as a rough position reference, it would have been mid late 18oo's as the census record showed my gran and siblings as young children.

Have no access to the records at the moment as my Ancestry membership lapsed as it was becoming just too expensive, and all my personal stuff is on my desktop PC in storage !

I discovered in Bedell's Street Directory for the 1930s, a Sun Hill which then gave a cross-reference to 13 Colwick Street. There is no Colwick Street these days, and so far I can't find one anywhere in the old St Anne's.

Also, what are the surnames of the people concerned? I copied a few names from the electoral register I looked at.

You say 'mid to late 1800s'....In the mid 1880s a vast area where you mention was orchards and allotments with the odd cottage.It wasn't until the turn of the century that the area was housed.

In fact it looks like every single family in Nottingham in those days must have had their own allotment...the numbers are quite astonishing.

2221_zps464f5570.jpg

11223_zpsadcfc178.jpg

Wow thanks for that Cliff ton, think my great aunt maybe was having an alsimic moment she was in her 80's !

That must be the place as I remember gran saying something about the old bath house near there opposite the sneinton market.

Their family name was harrison. How could I get a copy of that map ?

How could I get a copy of that map ?

That came from this site http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html which is where I get a lot of old maps from. The original you will from there is fairly small and lo-res, so I mess around with it a bit.

Depends on your knowledge and set-up whether you can do it for yourself from that site. If you PM me through the Nottstalgia system I can email you a few variations of the map.

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton

Looking closely at the larger scale copy you sent me, its bloody amazing really as I used to work virtually in the same spot in later years when it was a Telecom building and also previously at the Post Office as an engineer.

Cannot believe I was on the virtual spot where my great gran and all the siblings lived.

For the benefit of anyone else who might be interested, this is the map banjo48 is referring to. For a moderen reference point, the "public baths" are now Victoria Baths/Leisure Centre. You can also see the "Flaming Sword" pub mentioned by poohbear.

sun2.jpg

• Upvote 1

I forgot to look at Picture the Past to see if they had anything on the subject.

Here's the Flaming Sword http://www.pictureth...000072&prevUrl=

Sun Hill must be one of the streets going away from the camera http://www.pictureth...000144&prevUrl=

And this has been used before in Nottstalgia, but Cavendish Street is the one next to Sun Hill http://www.pictureth...013275&prevUrl=

• 2 weeks later...