Maps of Redhill.

A polite request. Could anyone paste up or link any OS or other maps of the Redhill area in the 1800s. I am particularly trying to locate the exact location of the Redhill windmill which I believe stood on the land now occupied by the cemetery and also the buildings, roads and orchards etc leading from Mansfield Road.

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting maps there. These brought back a memory to me that I had forgotten about until now. One day, during my years at Fairham Comp (I think it was a Geography lesson) we were asked what t

Maps sold and at my asking price thanks to the forum

Nice to have a satisfied customer.   Not many members come back and tell us what they think of the service they've received. There's a shed-load of people out there who've made a couple of p

Thanks very much, P, appreciated. That's the one I was looking for. the Redhill windmill looks to be in what became an extension of the original cemetery.

I'm also looking at 'New Street' from the much later (1950s I think) street map originally posted by Cliff Ton, top centre, facing Henry Street. I've found a mention of a 'New Inn' at Redhill (as distinct from an Arnold pub of the same name) which supposedly existed 1832-1871 and am wondering if there is any link.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g1htl.johnfoster/public/public.html

Any help appreciated.

redhill.jpg

Thanks both. It would have made sense to have yet another inn at the foot of the old Red Hill in order to change the horses to progress north. The Guide House, The Waggon and Horses, The Ram Inn and The Three Crowns were all in close vicinity there. Will take a closer look over these interesting maps, cheers.

funny you should put that piece of map on stu my niece kerry and i were talking on wednessday about cross st her boyfriend andys family owned the piece of land between james st and furlong ave at that time and his mum still lives in the new houses next to the school. it was a small holding they also had a piece of land near high st were they kept chickens ducks ect you proberly remember it as it was then andy around your age so you may known him but i carnt for the life of me remember his sir name.

HI Babs, I know the piece of land you mean. Adjacent to there the land that Arnold Mill school now stands on used to be Church Drive School where I attended's playing fields. Don't suppose Andy's surname would be Wardle?

Just picking up a few interesting things from Kev's map on post 155.

Spout Lane - now Coppice Road

Lambley Road - now Lime Lane. (Showing the connecting road at the west end of it which went over the A614 straight through to the A60. Closed in the 1960s (?) due to accidents.

No Leapool roundabout - just the original road junction.

Red Hill Lodge house marked off Mansfield Road.

Mexbro/Mexborough (?) Hills - never heard this name.

The Archway would have been in existence approximately twenty-odd years at the time of this map.

could be know his mums name is june and his dad had a lot to do with arnold town football clud died a few years back had a sister ann who sadly died last year after tragic accident at work when she fell down som stairs

kerry has been with andy quite a few years now but they have never married although they live together still in arnold funny thing you always use persons first name and very realy know or remember sir names

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking at 'New Street' from the much later (1950s I think) street map originally posted by Cliff Ton, top centre, facing Henry Street. I've found a mention of a 'New Inn' at Redhill (as distinct from an Arnold pub of the same name) which supposedly existed 1832-1871 and am wondering if there is any link.

New Street appears to be actually in the Ram car park..if there was a New Inn there at some date it must have been adjoining the Ram.

Been informed of the position of New Street, Redhill. Very close as per the above, it was to the rear of The Ram Inn. It went back in a straight line from the rear of the pub towards Lodge Farm Lane (Limey's younger stomping ground). Still not located any further info regarding The New Inn though.

Thanks Kev, that's great. So at the side of The Ram then. Wish I could pick out Some of th other other wording a little clearer. Fantastic though.

A friend of mine lived in a terraced house between The Ram and Wagon &Horses

I do remember those terraces, Lizzie. I used to get sent to Redhill Post Office which was on the northern end of that row next to The Waggon and Horses. Just trying to remember when they were sadly demolished? They're marked on the map above on post 165.

I do remember those terraces, Lizzie. I used to get sent to Redhill Post Office which was on the northern end of that row next to The Waggon and Horses. Just trying to remember when they were sadly demolished? They're marked on the map above on post 165.

Stu, I believe the row of houses was demolished in 1963/64

Bow to your knowledge, Lizzie but I would have thought it was a bit later than that?

I will be seeing a chap who worked for Gadsby's just up the road during those years when I attend a local history class on Monday. He might be a reliable guide.

Had a chat about those cottages last night at a local history class. The local resident who lived on Mellors Road at the time and who worked for Gadsby's at Redhill just up the road maintained that the cottages and the post office survived into the 1970s? I could believe this too as in my memory they were there through the 1960s.

Another pointer is the site of the post office as apparently post offices run a little like licensed premises in that they go with the owner of the license? In our collective memories the new siting of Redhill Post Office at the newsagent/sweet shop next to Redhill School was not until the mid-1970s when the elderly lady who ran Redhill Post Office on Mansfield Road would have relinquished the license to new people in the Redhill Road premises next to the school.

Only opinions and I'd be interested to know the facts about when those Mansfield Road cottages met their end.

• 3 months later...