• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting maps there. These brought back a memory to me that I had forgotten about until now. One day, during my years at Fairham Comp (I think it was a Geography lesson) we were asked what t

Maps sold and at my asking price thanks to the forum

Nice to have a satisfied customer.   Not many members come back and tell us what they think of the service they've received. There's a shed-load of people out there who've made a couple of p

The only thing I can suggest is that you go to the city library and refer to their collection of directories (Kelly's,Wright's,White's Morris etc)

The only date I can help with is that Seymour Street was built after 1868.(Wright's directory)

My next directory is Kelly's 1891.

I would suggest around 1875-80 as large number of terraced houses were built at this time.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone got a pic or map showing the Meadows area in particular where Wilford Road met Colliery Road at the 40 Trolley Bus Terminus?

There doesn't seem to be an obvious link with the names used for Terraces in that part of the Meadows at the time. Soudan isn't part of a series of countries or locations.

Looking at the others there's Marshall, Ainsworth, Bradworth, Royston, Aber, Meredith, Salisbury, Osman, Bosworth..........but then an obvious pair of Thrumpton Terrace and Barton Terrace.

• 9 months later...

I see there is a "Grange Farm Medical Centre" on Tremayne Road, Bilborough, which may be what prompted your question.

This is the area in the late 1800s, with a place called The Grange. It is now approximately under Crowley Close, with the medical centre nearby.  The road/path going round the west of The Grange is now the line of Westwick Road.

grange_zpsul49bbim.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's brilliant Cliff!

If you read my post about John Shaw,the Hero of Waterloo,this is the farm where he was born in 1789.Thanks to you,I now know where it is.

John was baptised at St Leonards church,Wollaton(bottom right in your map) in 1790,then a few months later,his family moved to live in the Old Manor House,Cossall (Cossall Hall) which was next to the church where his memorial stands.

• Upvote 2

Nice to have a satisfied customer.

Not many members come back and tell us what they think of the service they've received. There's a shed-load of people out there who've made a couple of posts, asked a question, received replies, and disappeared off the face of the earth.

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Wollaton colliery was opened around 1874 so the map must be after that date

I have a 50" to the mile 1950s of that area.

My maternal grandfather worked a Wollaton all his working life

By asking a question here and receiving an answer, puts facts in the public domain, via Google and leads to further visitors and members.

People who register and ask a question are an asset to this site even if the do not remain as posters.

• 2 months later...

That had me stumped for a while. Turns out it's the early name for what became Gordon Road, St Ann's. On any map before circa 1880 it's called Long Hedge Lane; anything after then and it's called Gordon Road.

This is from 1880s and some of the other surrounding names have survived today.

longhedge1_zpsgp1tngcb.jpg

Thanks Cliffton. That makes perfect sense as I have documents addressed to Gordon Road but didn't realise it was one and the same. Grandmother birth certificate give informant as mother 3 LHL.

When I was looking I found reference to High numbers on Longhedge lane so assumed it was a very long road.

Never knew that !

Long Hedge Lane changed to Gordon Road in about 1893 .

"for what is now Gordon Road was Long Hedge-lane until comparatively recent times, the Long Hedge being the old boundary between Nottingham and Sneinton "

12 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

Can anyone help with a map showing Londhedge Lane Sneinton in 1880's please. Think it may be quite long. I am interested in number 3 where my grandmother was born 1887

I've borrowed this from a Facebook page about St Ann's. This is looking up Gordon Road (Long Hedge Lane), so No. 3 would be the just after the lamp post on the left.

gordon%20road1_zpsfcs5iymr.jpg

Thanks Cliffton. I have been looking through and found my grandmothers savings book dated 1907, address of holder, 3 Gordon Road. So that confirms it then. Went from Longhedge to Gordon for some reason turn of the century ish.

(Edit) I didn't read all the posts properly so thanks to DavidW too.