As some of you already know I am about to move house & I am returning to Nottingham(Old Badsford)

We are going to have a lot less room so my map collection has to go :( 

The collection is rather large covering both town (1880s) city (1950s & 1960s ) & county
The buyer MUST take the entire collection of about 1,500 maps.

Interested please PM me I'm not asking much & am willing to take any reasonable offer.

Buyer to collect you will need a car with a large boot or a van

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting maps there. These brought back a memory to me that I had forgotten about until now. One day, during my years at Fairham Comp (I think it was a Geography lesson) we were asked what t

Maps sold and at my asking price thanks to the forum

Nice to have a satisfied customer.   Not many members come back and tell us what they think of the service they've received. There's a shed-load of people out there who've made a couple of p

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty certain it's one of these two, although at the moment I haven't found anything large-scale enough to include names.

WVVTSou.jpg

Bromley Place still exists. Exchange Court is now in the middle of Maid Marian Way at the point where that road bisects Mount Street.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

I can now confirm that Exchange Court is the upper of those two arrows on the map.

And yes, it's the same Baptist Burial Ground from another thread !

Thank you!  How were you able to determine that?  Did you find something somewhere that showed where it was, or just process of elimination? 

It was a case of eventually finding what I was looking for !

7yc4GRs.jpg

Note that on the corner of Exchange Court is a pub named The Rose, and further down is another pub named The Heart Goodfellow !  That named cropped up again later.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Note that on the corner of Exchange Court is a pub named The Rose, and further down is another pub named The Heart Goodfellow !  That named cropped up again later.

Wow!  That is great!  Thank you Cliffton!  What a resource.  I'm sure my ancestors drank at those establishments!  :-) 

• Like 1

Well Cliff Ton has done it again , when I first joined this forum I wrote amongst other things that I was amazed that a question could be asked and before long someone would post a map and quiet possible a photograph, what a forum.

Cliff Ton do you give tutorials on how to research items ,if so put my name down.

I have still remembered not to get in the way of Carni in the cake queue.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, trogg said:

Cliff Ton do you give tutorials on how to research items ,if so put my name down.

It had never occurred to me, and no-one's ever suggested it before, but now you mention it......:rolleyes:

I'd also suggest Carni starts doing cake tutorials. I'd go to them.

• Like 2

Put mine down as well please Clifton, whenever I Google stuff (well most of the time) i never seam to get the answer I was expecting yet others ask the same question and get what they want !! 

I believe the map data different people on here actually own, right?  I don't think that particular stuff is online... is it? 

As for photos, I think it takes perseverance and knowing your area.  Knowing cross streets, or major buildings as references, and searching them in a Google image search, and then altering some settings in the Image Search, such as showing only Black & White pictures and such. 

I can sometimes find what I'm looking for, other times is trawling for additional data, or using a forum like this since I'm not intimately familiar with the area to know what landmarks to look for.  Google, Facebook, Reddit, Pinterest... you can usually find something specialized somewhere.  This site is awesome though, and it comes up in so many of my searching time and time again!! 

But yeah, i'd read any research hints/tips for sure!!

• 1 year later...

Brilliant picture, talk about new meets old!

What was the use of the building that appears to have a clock on the corner?

First time I went in the 'modern' Hearty was about 1982,  many times upstairs, went downstairs for shortlived excellent Acid Jazz night about 1993, only went in the street level bar once.

The whole place was pretty much a dump!

Hard to believe it was probably less than twenty years old when I first visited!

Why pull down the original? was the road widened?

Can't even recall what replaced it.

I assume that top right of the picture became a car park?

7 hours ago, HSR said:

What was the use of the building that appears to have a clock on the corner?

Factory or Warehouse or similar.

7 hours ago, HSR said:

Why pull down the original? was the road widened?   Can't even recall what replaced it.

The road through the middle now is Maid Marian Way.

Same scene today.  https://goo.gl/maps/otasdyLC1LywfTxc8

• Upvote 1

Occasion was called Acid Jazz! That Wouldn't have been my definition. 

Very good 4 piece..

.Female Sax player,, had short cropped hair.. very Dexys.

An Old timer on Bongo's, .

Can't place the drummer..but he was very good!

Double Bass was a young chap, ginger hair, also played the Bell on the Monday Jazz night.

• 3 years later...